Scruggs: Mike Lombardi Rips Jason Garrett's Coaching Ability

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
what's the point? no quality coach would ever put up with Jerry's bullshit, which is how we know Garrett is a bootlicking, easily intimidated dud.
Yeah like Bill Parcells or Jimmy Johnson. No way in hell guys like that would work for Jerry Jones. :picard

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd argue that you, and other Garrett backers in this thread have said exactly what I posted.

And why did Garrett have "zero to work with" once Romo got hurt? Wasn't he the head coach for years and years prior to that season and didn't he have a direct hand in selecting those QB's to be the back up quarterbacks? And didn't those QB's who - as you say - were zero to work with, miraculously win games with other franchises both prior to coming to Dallas and after once leaving Dallas?

Odd.
It's Brandon Weeden dude, not that odd.

Winning a game or two in Houston after he leaves here doesn't mean much. It's not like "oh, well he won two games in Houston but zero in Dallas .... OMG THAT MEANS GARRETT CAN'T COACH WITHOUT ELITE TALENT!" It doesn't work like that. Kinda sad that anyone would think it does. Two entirely different teams in different situations at the time Weeden played. Going 2-12 without Romo versus if we had gone 4-10 means very little to me. Most coaches aren't going to the playoffs when they don't have a starting caliber QB on the roster.

Conversely, getting a fourth round rookie ready to be a starting caliber QB is actually kinda impressive, but no, you can't hold it against the coaches that they couldn't turn Weeden and Cassel into ten win QBs. At most you are splitting hairs over whether we should have won 3 or 4 games after Romo went down instead of 2.

Yeah, its too bad we didn't have a better backup QB option on hand. You got him there, to the extent that he has the GMs ear. Fire him!!!!!!!

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Yeah like Bill Parcells or Jimmy Johnson. No way in hell guys like that would work for Jerry Jones. :picard
Jerry had to modify his behavior to land Parcells, and later said working with him was like "walking on eggshells." he's not gonna cede that much power again. And how was Jimmy to know that Jerry would become a power-mad pain in the ass when they hooked up 1989? Getting away from Jerry instead of going for history (three in a row) is quite an indictment.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'd argue that you, and other Garrett backers in this thread have said exactly what I posted.

And why did Garrett have "zero to work with" once Romo got hurt? Wasn't he the head coach for years and years prior to that season and didn't he have a direct hand in selecting those QB's to be the back up quarterbacks? And didn't those QB's who - as you say - were zero to work with, miraculously win games with other franchises both prior to coming to Dallas and after once leaving Dallas?

Odd.
Because the coach put no stock in a BU QB program. He took the easy way and looked at FA rather than lobby for a draft program. And then wouldnt trust them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerry had to modify his behavior to land Parcells, and later said working with him was like "walking on eggshells." he's not gonna cede that much power again. And how was Jimmy to know that Jerry would become a power-mad pain in the ass when they hooked up 1989? Getting away from Jerry instead of going for history (three in a row) is quite an indictment.
Jerry has already ceded power. He has very little to do with the personnel decisions these days which is why you can see a marked shift in the way this teams drafts and signs free agents. I thought this was pretty common knowledge for fans. Frankly in Jerry's old age he has given up a lot of the antics we used to see.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Because the coach put no stock in a BU QB program. He took the easy way and looked at FA rather than lobby for a draft program. And then wouldnt trust them.
Garrett's work with the backup QB situation also brought us Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger. Then Jones spent big money for Orton and got screwed.

The idea to have Weeden as the backup was a colossal mistake. That was specifically illustrated by the panic move to trade for Cassel who cost us a pretty decent draft pick to rent for less than a year.

Just more proof that Garrett needs talent to make it and he cannot bridge the gap between average and good like the better coaches do.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry has already ceded power. He has very little to do with the personnel decisions these days which is why you can see a marked shift in the way this teams drafts and signs free agents. I thought this was pretty common knowledge for fans. Frankly in Jerry's old age he has given up a lot of the antics we used to see.
The fact that Jones is not as strident in his football decisions any more does not mean a lot. We still have Goof Son.

Stephen Jones is more pragmatic than his father and understands the cost analysis part of the business his father never did.

That still does not give him an eye for talent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fact that Jones is not as strident in his football decisions any more does not mean a lot. We still have Goof Son.

Stephen Jones is more pragmatic than his father and understands the cost analysis part of the business his father never did.

That still does not give him an eye for talent.
And yet we have been doing a great job drafting. The eye for talent is the scouts job. Who gives a shit if Stephen is just delegating the talent evaluation to the right people? The end result is all that matters and it's been pretty damn good.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No one is dismissing them... in fact they are pretty central to my stance that they demonstrate improvement.

8-8... 12-4... 13-3. See? Arrow up.

I love this pretend game you are playing that there isn't a trend upwards. You actually think we finish .500 or worse with Romo in 2015? :lol
And, what you're ignoring is that the key denominator to that upward trend is Linehan, not Garrett.

midswat

... soon
Can't wait to read all the excuse making again this year when we don't get past the divisional round again.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And yet we have been doing a great job drafting. The eye for talent is the scouts job. Who gives a shit if Stephen is just delegating the talent evaluation to the right people? The end result is all that matters and it's been pretty damn good.
But the BU QB spot was completely neglected even with the hints of Romo being a brittle player. The sad part is when the organization took the leap they may have hit the jackpot. One can only wonder what would have happened with a young quality back up in place 5 or 6 years earlier.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The big equation is who is running the scouting process. I think it is safe to say things are less frentic with McClay versus what we had with Lacewell and Ciskowski.

You are talking about how Jerry has stepped back. The saving grace is that Goof Son does not have the burning desire to be viewed as another Al Davis. That still does not mean that Jerry has ceded all say. He is still very involved. He is the one asking Garrett the hard questions about Prescott, not Stephen.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2017/07/19/dak-prescott-family-reunion-documentary

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
ceding some power to his son does not mean he does not continue to undermine his head coach. how many times in recent years have we seen Dr. Jerry make public statements about a player's health that only his head coach should make? and wasn't that Jerry ordering his puppet, er, HC to take Romo out of a meaningless game? not a great recruiting tool for Red's successor.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
ceding some power to his son does not mean he does not continue to undermine his head coach. how many times in recent years have we seen Dr. Jerry make public statements about a player's health that only his head coach should make? and wasn't that Jerry ordering his puppet, er, HC to take Romo out of a meaningless game? not a great recruiting tool for Red's successor.
I think it is even more cute when Jerry Jones says something that completely contradicts Garrett. That really shows you he has taken a step back, lemme tell ya.

Until we don't see Jerry shooting his mouth off at everything the head coach should be the only talking source, this talk about Stephen Jones "taking over" is just nonsense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it is even more cute when Jerry Jones says something that completely contradicts Garrett. That really shows you he has taken a step back, lemme tell ya.

Until we don't see Jerry shooting his mouth off at everything the head coach should be the only talking source, this talk about Stephen Jones "taking over" is just nonsense.
So then you credit Jerry Jones with the 13-3 season and winning the division? Interesting.

No one is saying Jerry isn't still annoying. But it's like a voice in the background at this point. He likes to hear his own voice and the media loves to listen to it. That's far different then actually making day to day player decisions and you're smart enough to know that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So then you credit Jerry Jones with the 13-3 season and winning the division? Interesting.
Yep, like a damn thing I said means I am crediting Jones for the 13-3 and division title that Garrett promptly squandered.

You got me, bro.

townsend

Banned
And, what you're ignoring is that the key denominator to that upward trend is Linehan, not Garrett.
I think it's Linehan, it's Marinelli, it's Stephen, it's McClay.

It's a cohesive long term strategy, where a consistent philosophy has been implemented (for the first time in 20 years) that players, position coaches, coordinators, and head coach all figure into.

To me the risk of moving Garrett isn't losing Garrett, it's upsetting that (say it with me) continuity that actually makes this team feel professionally constructed. If we could pull off a Mike Tomlin style transplant, where the new HC could slide into the position and build on what's already here, that's great. But I don't want Switzer, I don't want Gailey, I don't want Wade Phillips, I don't want another Jason Garrett. I don't want to force another franchise QB to lose his prime while some new asshole learns on the job.

midswat

... soon
People crediting Jason for coaching and prepping up a fourth round rookie in Dak... bitch please. In Jerry's words, we hit a glory hole with Dak. He came in day one and was simply exceptional. First preseason game on, he was lights out. He had a miracle season that was unprecedented in NFL history.

It isn't as if he came in with typical rookie QB - let alone mid to late round rookie QB - limitations and our coaching staff had to be all creative and cater the team to win around him. He literally stepped in day one and performed like a well seasoned vet. Seriously... he was a rookie competing for the league MVP award.

You can't argue that the coaching staff made Dak Dak, when their history with literally EVERY back up QB since, what, 2007(?) has been garbage - save a semi-respectable performance or two from Orton & Kitna years ago.

Listen... for real... had the Raiders not saved us from ourselves, we would have taken Connor Cook in the fourth round and last season absolutely would've been another 4-6 win season.

Trying to credit Garrett for Dak is like crediting a welfare recipient who hits the Powerball as being a solid financial planner.

midswat

... soon
I think it's Linehan, it's Marinelli, it's Stephen, it's McClay.

It's a cohesive long term strategy, where a consistent philosophy has been implemented (for the first time in 20 years) that players, position coaches, coordinators, and head coach all figure into.

To me the risk of moving Garrett isn't losing Garrett, it's upsetting that (say it with me) continuity that actually makes this team feel professionally constructed. If we could pull off a Mike Tomlin style transplant, where the new HC could slide into the position and build on what's already here, that's great. But I don't want Switzer, I don't want Gailey, I don't want Wade Phillips, I don't want another Jason Garrett. I don't want to force another franchise QB to lose his prime while some new asshole learns on the job.
It's weird to me that you can defend Garrett throughout this entire thread, and then turn around and make this post.

townsend

Banned
It's weird to me that you can defend Garrett throughout this entire thread, and then turn around and make this post.
I've never been a Garrett lover. I'd called for his head since 2008. Until 2016 I still wanted to replace him, because I didn't think he could win without Romo.

I've been defending him solely because the criticism in this thread is so over the top.

Top Bottom