Scruggs: Mike Lombardi Rips Jason Garrett's Coaching Ability

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Um, yeah. I'll take Payton over Garrett any day of the week. Payton may have had a couple 7-9 seasons, but his teams were still competitive.

The game against Green Bay last season still irks the fuck out of me. We got punched in the face and Garett was clueless on how to get his team pointed the right direction until it was too late...which is one of his notable flaws as a head coach in crunch time.

townsend

Banned
Um, yeah. I'll take Payton over Garrett any day of the week. Payton may have had a couple 7-9 seasons, but his teams were still competitive.
So were Garrett's 8-8 teams they were one game away from a playoff berth each time. That's was Jerruh's "relevance". Now surely Payton wouldn't be a downgrade from Garrett, since he has way better chops as a coordinator. But if you play the "what have you done for me lately" card Garrett's had two division titles in the last 3 years and Payton has 3 "competitive" 7-9 teams in the same timeline.

The game against Green Bay last season still irks the fuck out of me. We got punched in the face and Garett was clueless on how to get his team pointed the right direction until it was too late...which is one of his notable flaws as a head coach in crunch time.
More than anything the slow start was unforgivable just because of how thin the GB defense was. About 4 times it seemed like you saw the Dallas offense forced to punt or kick a FG because it tripped over its own feet.

The comeback was still extraordinary though. So the adjustment deserves some praise. I don't believe that would have ever happened under Wade or even Parcells, where we were notoriously poor at halftime adjustments.

But I do think a "ball control" gameplan would have sent us to the NFC championship.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess I'm confused because clearly the team did get pointed in the right direction. It's why we were right there at the end in position to possibly win. Of course most of that was probably Dak showing the heart of a champion. The same way the Patriots were getting killed in the Superbowl and Brady put them on his back.

UncleMilti

Staff member
I guess I'm confused because clearly the team did get pointed in the right direction. It's why we were right there at the end in position to possibly win. Of course most of that was probably Dak showing the heart of a champion. The same way the Patriots were getting killed in the Superbowl and Brady put them on his back.
Dak was the difference in that game.

Maybe I'm just annoyed about it, but I think you take a better coach and insert him for Garrett and all things being equal, Dallas is leading that game at halftime 24-0 or something similar.

Why do I say that? Well, the Cowboys have seemed unprepared under Garrett when you hit the "win or go home" games. I mean, the team just seems to come out flat, unprepared...I don't know how to describe it other than just not ready to play when the games really matter.

Last edited:

DLK150

DCC 4Life
The playoffs are a different level of competition but it doesn't seem like the coaching staff in general prepares them accordingly.

UncleMilti

Staff member
So were Garrett's 8-8 teams they were one game away from a playoff berth each time. That's was Jerruh's "relevance". Now surely Payton wouldn't be a downgrade from Garrett, since he has way better chops as a coordinator. But if you play the "what have you done for me lately" card Garrett's had two division titles in the last 3 years and Payton has 3 "competitive" 7-9 teams in the same timeline.

More than anything the slow start was unforgivable just because of how thin the GB defense was. About 4 times it seemed like you saw the Dallas offense forced to punt or kick a FG because it tripped over its own feet.

The comeback was still extraordinary though. So the adjustment deserves some praise. I don't believe that would have ever happened under Wade or even Parcells, where we were notoriously poor at halftime adjustments.

But I do think a "ball control" gameplan would have sent us to the NFC championship.
Its hard to compare on a level basis, because nothing in the NFL seems to be linear. But...Payton was saddled with a historic couple of years of horrific D. They were putrid.

Garrett obviously gets the pass for losing Romo and the 4-12 season, but I believe Payton did more with less compared to Garrett.

But yeah, a ball control gameplan, oh hell...lets say like the one you used when you stomped the Packers earlier in the season would have worked. Another annoyance of Garrett. Outsmarts himself with that Princeton brain of his.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Of course most of that was probably Dak showing the heart of a champion. The same way the Patriots were getting killed in the Superbowl and Brady put them on his back.
So Elliott's 125 yards rushing didn't count? Brady actually won the game against a much better defense and literally took over with 63 attempts and no picks. Whatever else Dak did, his pick probably cost Dallas the game thanks to our defense. He did not put the team "on his back". He's not there yet.

Dallas' offense is loaded compared with the Pats. Outside of Gronk who may or may not actually play, there is no comparison. In New England it's all about Brady and solid play everywhere else. When they beat playoff caliber teams, it's almost totally because of Tom Brady.

midswat

... soon
It wasn't just the offense that came out flat and unprepared against Green Bay.

The Packers took advantage of our substitutions problems early on which led to costly drive extending penalties against us and some of those early points.

The Green Bay game was a shit show. No excuse to lose that one.

townsend

Banned
So Elliott's 125 yards rushing didn't count? Brady actually won the game against a much better defense and literally took over with 63 attempts and no picks. Whatever else Dak did, his pick probably cost Dallas the game thanks to our defense. He did not put the team "on his back". He's not there yet.
Rodgers had a pick too, and it was much more of a high risk pass (Dak's pick was a sniffed out play, not a bad pass per se). No one would have said Rodger's pick cost them the game if they had missed the field goals. Likewise, overcoming that kind of deficit would be a major achievement for any QB, Dak is there.

Dallas' offense is loaded compared with the Pats. Outside of Gronk who may or may not actually play, there is no comparison. In New England it's all about Brady and solid play everywhere else. When they beat playoff caliber teams, it's almost totally because of Tom Brady.
They were 3-1 without Brady to start the year. 2 of those wins came against playoff teams.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Atlanta's coaches had a melt down in that game. They came out in the second half and skated just trying to finish the game with their big lead. Had they kept the clamps on the Pats and kept their offense at peak performance they would have won the game.

The Dallas comeback with the Packers was the same deal. Green Bay skated in the second half and Garrett let the dogs loose on offense..

I see so much of this practice with Coaches. It seems to be ingrained in their training to be a coach. Especially with the prevent defense. That is always good for letting your opponent back in the game.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

No, it is about Belichick. Give him this team last year, they waltz to the Super Bowl.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The playoffs are a different level of competition but it doesn't seem like the coaching staff in general prepares them accordingly.
Said it all along. It will take a supremely talented team on both sides of the ball for Garrett to ever win a title. He is simply incapable of navigating the waters when the competition gets tough. There is a reason we have lost practically every high stakes game he has ever coached.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'd also prefer a walk around head coach. But if you are a walk around head coach, you better have that situational football thing down pat. Garrett doesn't. He is still prone to stupid ass mistakes and decisions.
Many of those "walk around" head coaches willingly delegated those responsibilities to someone else in order to free themselves up.

Garrett didn't. Jerry took it away from him kicking and screaming.

So now he has one job to do: Managing the game. And he still sucks at that.
Exactly.

The guy just isn't a good HC at all and he's no better today at any of these things than he was when he was first given the job in 2010.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It wasn't just the offense that came out flat and unprepared against Green Bay.

The Packers took advantage of our substitutions problems early on which led to costly drive extending penalties against us and some of those early points.

The Green Bay game was a shit show. No excuse to lose that one.
And that's where having a real HC makes a difference.

A real HC tells his defensive staff :

"Guys, let's hold back on the early subs. GB has shown a tendency all year long to speed things up in the early going of games in an effort to catch the defense out of place or to draw a penalty, etc. I don't wanna give them anything cheap in this one, so let's play it by ear early and we'll adjust accordingly."

But the Cowboys were clearly unprepared for that despite so many of us on this board talking about that very thing in the week leading up to the game.

How the hell does that happen?

It may not be all Garrett's fault, but he certainly shares the blame because it is the HC's job to set the bullet points for the game going in and this clearly want on his list.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Said it all along. It will take a supremely talented team on both sides of the ball for Garrett to ever win a title. He is simply incapable of navigating the waters when the competition gets tough. There is a reason we have lost practically every high stakes game he has ever coached.
You'll get no argument from me. It's always been the same thing with him: Beat the dregs of the league and lose to the good teams, at least for the most part. I also don't think he emphasizes division rivalries enough.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Couldn't the same be said about Jimmy Johnson? Maybe the reason he never coached again is b/c another misfire following the Dolphins', would have raised questions about his legitimacy as an NFL HC?

a supremely talented team on both sides of the ball
How exactly would you describe the defense we fielded vs the Packers in the DCG?

How many teams not named the Patriots has gone deep/won a SB w/o having a high ranking defense?

I'm not disagreeing with what's been said about Garrett, but, IMO, our defensive problems are the real issue.

midswat

... soon
Yeah... it was the defense that cost us the game. Garrett critics aren't being fair. He's only had 7 years to fix the defense and he's only been able to try out four different defensive coordinators.

Give him a chance to fix the defense guys!!

Ps Green Bay's defense was worse than ours last year.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah... it was the defense that cost us the game. Garrett critics aren't being fair. He's only had 7 years to fix the defense and he's only been able to try out four different defensive coordinators.

Give him a chance to fix the defense guys!!

Ps Green Bay's defense was worse than ours last year.
Yep.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
No, it is about Belichick. Give him this team last year, they waltz to the Super Bowl.
No doubt about it, but he loses to Atlanta if Brady doesn't throw 63 passes and 0 picks. He completely carried the offense. Dak did not.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
No doubt about it, but he loses to Atlanta if Brady doesn't throw 63 passes and 0 picks. He completely carried the offense. Dak did not.
Are you forgetting the pick 6 he threw?

Top Bottom