Scruggs: Mike Lombardi Rips Jason Garrett's Coaching Ability

Carp

DCC 4Life
So then who is next...who is the guy everyone wants to replace him.

PS. Fuck Sean Payton

midswat

... soon
If Garrett gets no credit for Dak, how about ensuring we got Zeke? Jerry very much had Zeke in the same group as Ramsey and Floyd in 2016. The day prior to the draft Garrett watched every snap of both Zeke and Ramsey...he liked Ramsey...he loved Zeke.
I don't remember exactly but wasn't others standing on the table for Elliott as well? I seem to recall even Jerry saying he was the guy we wanted all along. I'm doubt the room was divided and Garrett was the deciding factor. Afterall, I can't get the image of him pouty and orange after we traded down and ignored Sharriff Floyd. I question how much input he has in team building.

Also, while landing Zeke looks like a great move (and one that I absolutely loved), I kind of think after this offseason we might want to wait a few years before completely loving it. There's an awful lot of smoke going on with him with regards to wrong place/wrong time and questionable judgement. I'd hate to think his immaturity paired with the Dallas nightlife/celebrity could cost him his career but it's not hard to end up in trouble. Goodell already has a hard on for him.

I mention this because Bal had offered 6 and 104 to move up to 4. Very reasonable to think Chi would have taken Elliott and we take Floyd. Then with 34 and 104, plus something else...we would have moved up to take Lynch. So we could have ended up with no Zeke...no Dak...no Jaylen Smith...while getting Floyd and a huge question mark in Lynch. Not only this, but maybe no Collins because we would have still had to address the RB position.

Linehan and Wilson did sit down with Dak at the Senior Bowl and poured over game tape with him...to their credit. So why did Garrett not do that...well, he was coaching the side opposite Dak...kind of hard to do under the circumstances. Props to Wilson and Linehan for close up evaluating a player in that instance that Garrett had no reasonable chance to.
Further illustrates the point we had no idea just how good Dak was. Despite all that direct exposure with the staff, Jerry still lamented not trading up for Paxton, and we were on record as wanting to take Connor Cook with our first 4th rounder. When he was gone, we still skipped over Dak until much later in the round.

Lightening in the bottle.

Last edited:

midswat

... soon
So then who is next...who is the guy everyone wants to replace him.

PS. Fuck Sean Payton
There isn't a name out there who I'm foaming at the mouth for. I never thought Dan Quinn or Ron Rivera would've had as much success as they have had. But there are guys out there.

There are guys out there who can take this team to the Super Bowl as its currently constructed. You shouldn't need a steak at every plate, like Garrett seems to require.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
There isn't a name out there who I'm foaming at the mouth for. I never thought Dan Quinn or Ron Rivera would've had as much success as they have had. But there are guys out there.

There are guys out there who can take this team to the Super Bowl as its currently constructed. You shouldn't need a steak at every plate, like Garrett seems to require.
Who? You've said multiple times that they're out there. Who is it, and why don't they have a job already if somebody on a message board knows they can take a team to the super bowl? If it were that easy to figure out who they are, you'd think NFL front offices would have already snatched them up.

midswat

... soon
Who? You've said multiple times that they're out there.
They are out there. There are talented coordinators each year who get interviews and jobs.

Who is it, and why don't they have a job already
They likely do have jobs, as coordinators at this point.

if somebody on a message board knows they can take a team to the super bowl?
I'm not saying random up and comer coordinator can take any team to a Super Bowl. I'm saying a talented coach could get THIS team to a Super Bowl. The only thing I know for certain is that Jason can not get us to a Super Bowl. You might not know that yet, but you'll eventually figure it out.

In the meantime, enjoy the wasted seasons out of this talented football team.

If it were that easy to figure out who they are, you'd think NFL front offices would have already snatched them up.
Jerry doesn't want to get rid of his puppet. You're assuming I'm talking about the entire league. No, I'm talking about a quality coach capable of getting THIS team over the hump. Jason can not do it. Time will prove that to be true.

So sit back and watch as coaches of other teams - who's owners were bold enough to hire despite them not being Belichick or Parcells - take their respective teams to the Super Bowl.

midswat

... soon
How convenient what?

Use your words Nodak.

data

Forbes #1
Nobody's mentioned Gary Kubiak. Fired John Fox after three straight >12-4 seasons and Super Bowl appearance.

Hired effin' retread Gary Kubiak, who made it to playoffs finishing 5-2 with a QB that is now starting for the Browns, third team in three years, and won the Super Bowl with a gimpy-ass Peyton Manning.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Nobody's mentioned Gary Kubiak. Fired John Fox after three straight >12-4 seasons and Super Bowl appearance.

Hired effin' retread Gary Kubiak, who made it to playoffs finishing 5-2 with a QB that is now starting for the Browns, third team in three years, and won the Super Bowl with a gimpy-ass Peyton Manning.
Someone mentioned him a few pages back as an example of the lame type of coach we might get if we fired Garrett.

But yeah, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Besides the Superbowl, how many times did he get Matt Superspare Schaub to the playoffs? Think about that, he won more playoff games with Schaub than Garrett has with Romo and Dak. If Garrett had to coach a team with a terrible QB like that, I guess the Garrett fans would tell us we'd just have to ignore all those years bc nobody could win with that guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I actually think Gary Kubiak is a pretty good head coach. The man won a couple of division titles with the Texans. It's just that the wheels fell off in that 2013 season and he took the blame for it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
mschmidt, why do you claim that "100% false" post mid made was inaccurate? Looked accurate to me.

And it's funny to say we don't know how Cook would have done. Yeah, maybe Johnny Manziel would have been a big success here. I mean there's no way to know, right?
Cause it's literally insane to believe a rookie QB can be that good without getting good coaching.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The thing is Cassel has 2 10 win seasons under his belt, and before you go all BELICHEAT!!!! the other one is under the great Todd Haley...

I don't think you can ever say of Garrett "He can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n...."

I think we can stumble into a SB with him as coach, but I don't think he will guide us to a SB.
How many 10 win seasons did Cassel have after leaving Dallas?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
FWIW, I've made the "I don't know who the next coach should be, but there has to be someone better and it's Jerry's job, not mine, to find him" argument before.

Of course I applied that argument to the worst coach in the league at the time in Wade Phillips, not an average coach in Jason Garrett.

When you have the worst coach in the league, you can't do worse, so naming names isn't as relevant.

With Garrett, we could do worse. We could do better too.... but we could do worse.

midswat

... soon
Idk. I (obviously) think Garrett is near bottom of the barrel. He's got a great staff. I think Linehan and Marinelli and crew prop him up like Weekend at Bernies. Garrett to me brings less than nothing to the table. In fact I think he holds us back. He is a walk around head coach. His motivational techniques are chicken soup for the soul type shit. Feel too contrived and rehearsed. He has no feel for the game. And his in game decision making is lackluster at best.

IMO, the image of him leaning in and clapping at Weeden heading into fourth and goal against the Patriots on a meaningless drive late in the game we were way out of.... or the image of him casually walking away as Greg Hardy blantantly disrespected an assistant coach... shit like that. Those are just two instances. Idk those and others just turned me against the guy and I honestly think he is one of the fakest people in the league. Like his almost sixth sense of knowing when a camera is on him, which automatically leads to his creepy grin. Remember the gif of the Thunder/Mavericks game where the camera was on him and he just had this six mile stare with that odd grin? He just seems fake. Like a coachspeak cyborg living amongst us.

Also screw his horrible scouting father as well. Foaming at the mouth for Todd Lowber ffs.

Yeah, the name Garrett incites the same reaction as the name Lacewell for me. I want that bloodline away from this team.

https://streamable.com/jav9

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
FWIW, I've made the "I don't know who the next coach should be, but there has to be someone better and it's Jerry's job, not mine, to find him" argument before.

Of course I applied that argument to the worst coach in the league at the time in Wade Phillips, not an average coach in Jason Garrett.

When you have the worst coach in the league, you can't do worse, so naming names isn't as relevant.

With Garrett, we could do worse. We could do better too.... but we could do worse.
The difference between Garrett and Phillips is so minor.

But hey, Garrett delivers better canned speeches, does not self-deprecate in press conferences and does not tug on his arm hair when nervous.

Still amazes me to this day that people think that Garrett is that much better.

No, he presents himself better. And with minimal and simple concepts that the very stupid can buy into.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

But hey, Garrett delivers better canned speeches, does not self-deprecate in press conferences and does not tug on his arm hair when nervous.

No, he presents himself better. And with minimal and simple concepts that the very stupid can buy into.
Phillips is a better coordinator than Jason.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Idk. I (obviously) think Garrett is near bottom of the barrel. He's got a great staff. I think Linehan and Marinelli and crew prop him up like Weekend at Bernies. Garrett to me brings less than nothing to the table. In fact I think he holds us back. He is a walk around head coach. His motivational techniques are chicken soup for the soul type shit. Feel too contrived and rehearsed. He has no feel for the game. And his in game decision making is lackluster at best.

IMO, the image of him leaning in and clapping at Weeden heading into fourth and goal against the Patriots on a meaningless drive late in the game we were way out of.... or the image of him casually walking away as Greg Hardy blantantly disrespected an assistant coach... shit like that. Those are just two instances. Idk those and others just turned me against the guy and I honestly think he is one of the fakest people in the league. Like his almost sixth sense of knowing when a camera is on him, which automatically leads to his creepy grin. Remember the gif of the Thunder/Mavericks game where the camera was on him and he just had this six mile stare with that odd grin? He just seems fake. Like a coachspeak cyborg living amongst us.

Also screw his horrible scouting father as well. Foaming at the mouth for Todd Lowber ffs.

Yeah, the name Garrett incites the same reaction as the name Lacewell for me. I want that bloodline away from this team.

https://streamable.com/jav9

LOL @ Weekend at Bernies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
For the record, these are the coaches/coordinators who I'd roll the dice on:

Mike Vrabel
Matt Patricia
Pete Carmichael
Steve Wilks
Todd Downing

It's no guarantee that they would be better than Garrett but it's worth the risk and sure beats the hell out of watching Garrett row this boat in circles.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Well, once Garrett cranks out a few more 11-5 and 12-4 seasons, the position that Phillips is equal will be seen as the nonsense it is.

Phillips is a person I would never want coaching my team... ever. He's a complete loser.

Top Bottom