Scruggs: Mike Lombardi Rips Jason Garrett's Coaching Ability

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Orton did manage to go 7-5 in Buffalo. Although there's a big difference between playing for a team with 2014 Buffalo's defense, and closing out 2013 with that horror show Monte Kiffin defense.
Kyle Orton started one game in Dallas and the one game he played he played pretty well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, not winning a Super Bowl doesn't necessarily disprove me. But sure... I wish these arguments would die already. I don't even care that people don't like him... I just am tired of "if they win anything they will win in spite of him." Just hyperbole.
I'll take that argument over the more ridiculous (psychic) argument that the Cowboys will never win anything with Garrett as head coach.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Kyle Orton started one game in Dallas and the one game he played he played pretty well.
Dude...he cost the game by throwing late to Austin over the middle against Philly. Threw 1 int before as well...put up yards but was a big reason why we miss the playoffs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Garrett's one and only unique skill is the ability to tolerate/manage/suck up to Jerry and the Joneses.

Maybe this is why we really do need Garrett. Who else would put up with it? Granted it's been a lot easier if late with the talent flowing in.

Bill had a loaded team and just couldn't take it anymore.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude...he cost the game by throwing late to Austin over the middle against Philly. Threw 1 int before as well...put up yards but was a big reason why we miss the playoffs.
He also threw two TDs. He was a big reason we were in the game til the end. But yeah Orton is what he is, a .500 type QB and it came out in the end in a big game.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Well, not winning a Super Bowl doesn't necessarily disprove me. But sure... I wish these arguments would die already. I don't even care that people don't like him... I just am tired of "if they win anything they will win in spite of him." Just hyperbole.
Well then just stop replying. Nobody is going to change their minds.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well then just stop replying. Nobody is going to change their minds.
You guys state your opinion on the record and I post the opposite side.

It could stop there. You stop replying.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You guys state your opinion on the record and I post the opposite side.

It could stop there. You stop replying.
I havent in a while. You said that you were tired of it so if YOU are tired of it just ignore it. Its pretty simple.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
mschmidt, why do you claim that "100% false" post mid made was inaccurate? Looked accurate to me.

And it's funny to say we don't know how Cook would have done. Yeah, maybe Johnny Manziel would have been a big success here. I mean there's no way to know, right?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And it's funny to say we don't know how Cook would have done. Yeah, maybe Johnny Manziel would have been a big success here. I mean there's no way to know, right?
:lol What?

Connor Cook started one playoff game for the Raiders? And you presume to know how he would have done for an entire season in Dallas and only won 4-6 games? This is sad argument to make. It's something that should probably be abandoned ASAP. And all of this mind you is based on the fact that Garrett may or may not have had Connor Cook higher on his personal draft board.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I do presume to know he wouldn't have been nearly as good as Dak. Do you really believe otherwise?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do presume to know he wouldn't have been nearly as good as Dak. Do you really believe otherwise?
Of course he wouldn't have been as good as Dak. Dak had the best rookie season for any QB I've ever seen. What's your point?

Do you claim the Patriots are idiots for drafting Tom Brady since they had other players ranked higher in that draft?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
It's Brandon Weeden dude, not that odd.

Winning a game or two in Houston after he leaves here doesn't mean much. It's not like "oh, well he won two games in Houston but zero in Dallas .... OMG THAT MEANS GARRETT CAN'T COACH WITHOUT ELITE TALENT!" It doesn't work like that. Kinda sad that anyone would think it does. Two entirely different teams in different situations at the time Weeden played. Going 2-12 without Romo versus if we had gone 4-10 means very little to me. Most coaches aren't going to the playoffs when they don't have a starting caliber QB on the roster.

Conversely, getting a fourth round rookie ready to be a starting caliber QB is actually kinda impressive, but no, you can't hold it against the coaches that they couldn't turn Weeden and Cassel into ten win QBs. At most you are splitting hairs over whether we should have won 3 or 4 games after Romo went down instead of 2.

Yeah, its too bad we didn't have a better backup QB option on hand. You got him there, to the extent that he has the GMs ear. Fire him!!!!!!!
The thing is Cassel has 2 10 win seasons under his belt, and before you go all BELICHEAT!!!! the other one is under the great Todd Haley...

I don't think you can ever say of Garrett "He can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n...."

I think we can stumble into a SB with him as coach, but I don't think he will guide us to a SB.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He also threw two TDs. He was a big reason we were in the game til the end. But yeah Orton is what he is, a .500 type QB and it came out in the end in a big game.
What's sad is Orton was the best backup during that Tenure and he was a .500 guy.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't think you can ever say of Garrett "He can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n...."

I think we can stumble into a SB with him as coach, but I don't think he will guide us to a SB.
This is pretty much how I feel about it.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
No, you have it all wrong. Weeden winning a game is just proof that Garrett can't coach! He should have immediately revamped the team to be like the Texans, all so he could prove to a couple blowhards on a message board that he can win an extra game or two and go 5-11 instead of 4-12.
So you are saying that Garrett tanked on purpose?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing is Cassel has 2 10 win seasons under his belt, and before you go all BELICHEAT!!!! the other one is under the great Todd Haley...

Yeah, Belicheat is the master of getting by with shitty QB play. Or at least he has been able to do that with the Patriots. It's funny because he couldn't pull that off with the Browns but winning a game last year with Brissett being nothing but a turd was masterful.

But anybody that saw what Cassel looked like with the Bills right before we traded for his ass knows he was a walking, steaming pile of shit by that point in his career. The Bills couldn't wait to rid themselves of him. Hell just go back to 2012 when he went 1-7 as a starter for the Chiefs. Whatever he was back in 2008 and 2010 was long gone. Either defenses figured him out or he physically lost something. Either way that trade was an epic fail the second we made it.

But I pretty much agree with you on Garrett. I think we have the right mix on offense to win with Garrett right now but if you ask me who I value more between him and Linehan it's Linehan. And if this team was starting a fresh rebuild I wouldn't want Garrett as my head coach. I think he is average. Like you said, he isn't a coach that is going to will his teams to victory. He isn't a guy like Belicheat who can come up with a masterful game plan to win a game or two with a shit QB.

Top Bottom