Archer: Is Cowboys' D-line really a strength?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Is Cowboys' D-line really a strength?

April, 29, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – If we’ve learned anything about the Cowboys, it’s that they love their defensive line.

“We believe the defensive line is a strength,” became a default position for just about everybody in the organization during the NFL draft.

But is it really?

When Monte Kiffin was in Tampa Bay, the strength of the defense was the line with Warren Sapp, Simeon Rice and Booger McFarland. Same for Rod Marinelli in Chicago when he hadJulius Peppers, Henry Melton and Israel Idonije racking up sacks.

Take DeMarcus Ware out of the equation. He will continue to be one of the most dominant pass rushers in the NFL. The move from outside linebacker to defensive end will not be too much for him, but it has to be noted that he is coming off major shoulder surgery and has suffered some other nicks the last couple of seasons.

Anthony Spencer is a curious case. He had a career-high 11 sacks last year, but in his first five seasons he never had more than six in a season. One AFC personnel man believed Spencer’s sack boost came in part because he was moved around more than in the past. Bill Polian has said Spencer will be a great fit for this defense. If Spencer is consistently in the same spot opposite Ware, then does he go back to a six-sack player? And he is lighter than most strong-side defensive ends Kiffin and Marinelli have employed.

Jay Ratliff was a difference-maker at one point. He was a disruptive player, incredibly difficult to block and could get to the quarterback. Notice the past tense? Ratliff’s sack total has decreased in each of the last five years and he missed 10 games because of injuries last year. He turns 32 in August. Maybe he is the perfect fit to play the Sapp role here, but how much tread is left?

Jason Hatcher has never had more than 4.5 sacks in a season and he will be making a position switch. Are his numbers a product of the fact that 3-4 defensive ends just don’t have the opportunity to get after the quarterback? Perhaps. He turns 31 in July and is in the last year of his contract.

Tyrone Crawford did some nice things as a rookie but didn’t record a sack. Sean Lissemorehad one sack but was slowed by an ankle injury. Kyle Wilber will move to defensive end from outside linebacker this year but has the look of a tweener. Then there’s Ben Bass, Robert Callaway and Ikponmowasa Igbinosun.

Kiffin and Marinelli apparently have told Jerry Jones & Co. that the defensive linemen on the roster will be just fine, given how the team went about the draft and has looked at free agency so far. Rob Ryan said the same thing to Jones about the talent on hand when he showed up two years ago; how did that work out?

Lotuseater

Banned
I say this defense is going to be shockingly good for a lot of people not expecting it. I see the makings of a top 5 defense here.

I really do. Its gonna be a Gawd awful fast defense, with the sheer speed of our players and kiffins base is all about speed......I'm very curious.

dallen

Senior Tech
Are you in some kind of contest with someone to see who can be the bigger homer?

Lotuseater

Banned
That's the thing, I don't think I'm homering out. I see a legit top 5 d.

Cotton

Staff member
No homer has ever thought they were homering out. That's why they are generally called blind homers.

Lotuseater

Banned
You've known me for years. Am I a blind Homer? I think I deserve just a little bit more cred than that. Not much, but a little.

Cotton

Staff member
I've known you for years? It was like a year ago that you started posting here, wasn't it?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it weren't for our shit safeties I could get on board with this thought. Our D-line if healthy I think will actually be pretty good. It's injuries at DT that worry me. Other then that we are a pretty talented defensive unit, but I think our safeties will plague us all year long.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This defense has the same problems. Age and lack of quality depth up front, not a single proven god-damned safety, and a linebacking corps that's always been injured or is soaking wet behind the ears. BTW, there is no one qualified to be 1-technique so the team is very undersized. In essence we're playing a 4-3 defense with 3-4 personnel, and undersized on top of it.

Ratliff, Lee, and Carter being healthy all season would be a fricking act of God, but even if all are super-healthy all year it sill can't hide the fact that they are undersized and lack a dominant space eater up front to protect them.

Our ONLY hope of a top defense statistically is for a combination of:

1) The running game behind Frederick, Murray, Randle, and whoever's playing RT to do a 180 from 2012 when it was a pathetic 31st in the league.
2) More points offensively. RHG needs to finally show off all his supposed brains. Dallas was 15th in points scored.
3) Rock solid special teams that contain returns and give us great position on our own returns. Harris gave us signs of hope last year.
4) Many more turnovers generated defensively and fewer turnovers offensively. Dallas was -13 in 2012.

By itself the defensive personnel on this team can't last the majority of a game let alone a season. Dallas must dominate TOP, win the field position battle, and get their offense the ball more to reduce their defense's exposure and put more field at their backs. Dallas offense HAS to score more so the defense can play with a lead. Almost every team that could present the Cowboys an effective, balanced offensive attack in the 4th quarter not only won but generally blew the doors off the Cowboy defense in that period. Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, New Orleans, and Washington twice-- all could basically march and score at will in the final period.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No one else is labeled a homer (blind or otherwise) unless you consult with me first. If I am not available check with Carp.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I say this defense is going to be shockingly good for a lot of people not expecting it. I see the makings of a top 5 defense here.

I really do. Its gonna be a Gawd awful fast defense, with the sheer speed of our players and kiffins base is all about speed......I'm very curious.
It will be fast for a few weeks, and eventually teams will figure out they can run on this defense. Then the injuries happen. Ratliff will be first, then Lee. Then the injury excuse reveals itself. And this is banking on Ware missing zero time. You are insane if you think this is a top five defense unless we have some sort of miracle happen where our opponents just go braindead, or the offense just simply outscores everyone.

Lotuseater

Banned
Nope. Since 07.

Lotuseater

Banned
No, it was off and on from 07, and under a couple different names because I moved and re-registered a few times. Ive been here though, mostly watching, since 2007. Back when nodak still used the cowboy avatar. Like yours was nic cage?

Eh. Who remembers?(rhetorical)

Edit: thought I was answering iamtdng., my bad. He had a nic cage avatar, I believe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom