Cowboys “excited” about rookie receiver Noah Brown

midswat

... soon
The Cowboys selected two wide receivers in the 2017 NFL draft. Ryan Switzer (fourth round, 123rd overall) and seventh-round pick Noah Brown, the 239th overall selection from Ohio State.

As a late-round pick, he's already a longshot to make the 53-man roster, especially when the Cowboys re-signed veterans Terrance Williams and Brice Butler, Kristi Scales of the Dallas Morning News reports.

Brown played only 24 games in two years as a Buckeye, so lack of experience will be a factor.

"(Brown) is a little bit of an all-around guy," said Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Linehan. "He's an outside receiver with a big frame (6-2, 222). He's kind of got a 'tweener' size when it comes to receiver. He's got a little bit of a TE element to his game as far as his size and the matchup and the people he's blocking. So he should match up well in that area.

"He's a good receiver, too. He has a real consistence game, and he's a smart kid, so we're excited about him."

midswat

... soon
So what are we looking at as far as keeping receivers this year?

Dez, Beasley, and Williams are locks.

Switzer probably would be considered one as well, unless he completely bombs and shows nothing in the preseason.

I don't think Butlers contract makes him a lock.

I feel like I'm forgetting someone. Do we normally keep 5 or 6 receivers?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Really hoping this guy makes the roster, but it seems unlikely. Maybe we can stash him on the PS.

Cotton

Staff member
So what are we looking at as far as keeping receivers this year?

Dez, Beasley, and Williams are locks.

Switzer probably would be considered one as well, unless he completely bombs and shows nothing in the preseason.

I don't think Butlers contract makes him a lock.

I feel like I'm forgetting someone. Do we normally keep 5 or 6 receivers?
I think we normally keep 5, so there's a chance he makes it. He has to beat out Butler.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Blocking WR seems like a bit of a luxury item. Unless he is an absolute special teams demon how does he ever get activated over other guys like Switzer or Butler?

Cotton

Staff member
Blocking WR seems like a bit of a luxury item. Unless he is an absolute special teams demon how does he ever get activated over other guys like Switzer or Butler?
He has damn good hands and is good at fighting for the ball in the air. He is a high point receiver and I think he can excel with Dak throwing to him. I think he can be way better than Butler. I just think the coaching goes with familiarity which will be unfortunate.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
He has damn good hands and is good at fighting for the ball in the air. He is a high point receiver and I think he can excel with Dak throwing to him. I think he can be way better than Butler. I just think the coaching goes with familiarity which will be unfortunate.
I think Butler is on thin ice, honestly. He came up awfully small in that Green Bay playoff game. So he can be had. But he bigger and faster than Brown. So it will definitely be a battle, on that will be tough for the rookie to overcome. Likely he's headed for the PS.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They really should just shut up about Brown so he can be stashed on the PS.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This is the time of year when the coaches are "excited" about everybody.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Brown is the guy I'm most interested in in this whole draft, and that's saying something because it was a good draft.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd like Andy Jones and Noah Brown to show enough in preseason that we can part with Brice Butler.

I'd keep 6 in that scenario:

Dez
Williams
Beasley
Switzer
Brown
Jones

But if one of those two doesn't step up, and we have to keep Butler, I'd still probably stash one of them with a 6th spot on a WR, with the other on the practice squad.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No way he makes it to the PS.
Unless he shows out on special teams, he will. No matter what, he is pretty much every team's sixth best WR. Teams don't construct rosters with WRs that are limited.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'm not worried about the WR position because there's plenty of depth and potential. It's really not a bad quandary to have and everything will play out during training camp.

It's a juggling act because you want to get all the young guys PT during preseason games but at the same time, you don't want to showcase them too much because you want to be able to hang onto them if they don't make the final cut. I wouldn't mind seeing the final roster expanded to say 60 or so but the owners would never go for that because it would cost too much.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Unless he shows out on special teams, he will. No matter what, he is pretty much every team's sixth best WR. Teams don't construct rosters with WRs that are limited.
Coale... Street

Brown has a much higher ceiling.

Top Bottom