Do you guys remember when

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I'm sick of people citing his Princeton education as a + 1. Not one SB winning coach has ever darkened an Ivy League classroom.

midswat

... soon
Garrett blows ass, end of story.

If we do win a SB with him it will be a Billick-style victory where great talent overcomes the empty suit on the sideline.
... and all of gods people said "Amen"

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think he means in general.
I don't even know who does it "in general." It was something that was talked about maybe when he was hired, that he was an intelligent guy. Does the national media or even the Dallas media cite it as a reason that he's a special head coach or something? Am I missing those articles? I think the overwhelming narrative is actually that he makes dumb mistakes, not that he's smart. If anything, the people that DISLIKE Garrett are the ones who trumpet about how he's from the Ivy league, as a way of mocking him for his perceived deficiencies. Those are the only people I ever see bring it up.

But some people are getting off topic a little... whether he still deserves to be here or not, based on any past bad seasons he has had, etc. That's another debate.... whether he has received a longer leash than other head coaches have because he's a Jerry favorite. Yes, he probably has, though I can name a few other coaches who have had similar leashes and have paid off after a number of years of mediocrity.

Some people are just trying to write the narrative about how Garrett is only the beneficiary of an overwhelming tidal wave of talent so they can cling to their notions that he's one of the sport's worst coaches.... you know, in case he wins something this year. ~Gulp~ We wouldn't want to have to admit that we were wrong when we said he sucks! It must be something else. Yeah! Generational talent! That's it!

He's not one of the league's worst coaches, though not that he's one of the best either. And while the team is getting pretty good, talent-wise, he has a lot to do with that, as he's the head coach and he's been guiding the team in this direction for nearly a decade now between being OC and HC.

It won't be like the Cowboys, if they are to win the Super Bowl this coming year, are substantially more talented than most of the teams to have won in the past decade. Their defense would probably be one of the least talented in fact.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I think he means in general.
Correct. The same kind of people who can't help but remind us for the millionth time that a mediocrity like Ryan Fitzpatrick is a Harvard grad.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:roboclap I approve of this post.

Sorry to lovers of the red headed genius but if The Boys flop again this season, he needs to go. He's had plenty of time as head coach (Over seven years) to prove himself but the only thing he's proven is that he generally sucks in crunch time.

Who replaces him? I have no fricking idea but he sucks the root as a head coach. He's not the first coach who does well as a coordinator but sucks as a HC and he won't be the last.

Super bowl win or bust this season, I'm getting too old to keep waiting.
Didn't see this post before, but I have news for you.

It's not Super Bowl or bust in the owner's eyes.

If everyone stays relatively healthy and we go 6-10, yeah, he'll be gone.

But if we win a playoff round, even the wild card round, my guess is he stays.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

If everyone stays relatively healthy and we go 6-10, yeah, he'll be gone.

But if we win a playoff round, even the wild card round, my guess is he stays.
No question about it. And frankly I wouldn't want to mess with team chemistry at this point.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't even know who does it "in general." It was something that was talked about maybe when he was hired, that he was an intelligent guy. Does the national media or even the Dallas media cite it as a reason that he's a special head coach or something?
Have you seriously never heard that? Why do you think they constantly talk about how smart he is? Hint: It isn't his clock management skills.

Well of course it isn't. It would probably take a rerun of the Campo years to get him booted.

But all that says is how comfortable Jerry is with his family portrait boy who doesn't ever bark back at him, not that he's a good coach.

midswat

... soon
Regarded the comment we don't want to give Garrett credit should he win a super bowl here.... I can say without hesitation that we will never win a super bowl with Garrett as our head coach. Ever. Ever ever ever ever ever.

It will never happen.

Ever.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Wait, time out.
Wut? Its my opinion and a professional coach should not lose a game the way he did against Green Bay several years ago. That should have never happened in a professional game. Pee Wee, yes. Professional. Not ever.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Have you seriously never heard that? Why do you think they constantly talk about how smart he is? Hint: It isn't his clock management skills.
Yeah, I heard it.... like years ago.

It's not exactly a go to topic that Joe Buck and Troy Aikman bring up every week.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Regarded the comment we don't want to give Garrett credit should he win a super bowl here.... I can say without hesitation that we will never win a super bowl with Garrett as our head coach. Ever. Ever ever ever ever ever.

It will never happen.

Ever.
You can say it, but it doesn't make it remotely true, nor does it mean you have a shred more insight than anyone else cause you said it really confidently like.

If there's a reason it won't happen it's most likely cause Jerry will screw it ip somehow.

We get it. You're really mad at Garrett! Grrrrr! Say "ever" a few more times.

Meanwhile there is nothing objectively showing that Garrett is any worse than an average coach. Just the same old anecdotal complaints I hear about literally every coach, including, as a Rangers hockey fan, the kind I hear about Alain Vigneault after he's led the team deep into the playoffs four straight years. He can't coach though! He's gotta go cause he plays a defensive pairing the fan base doesn't agree with! Biggest moron in coaching! Except he keeps getting at or to the conference finals. But otherwise a retard!

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Wut? Its my opinion and a professional coach should not lose a game the way he did against Green Bay several years ago. That should have never happened in a professional game. Pee Wee, yes. Professional. Not ever.
And that's exactly why you can't just dismiss the pre-Linehan years as simply not having the roster yet. We missed several opportunities due to coaching error.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And that's exactly why you can't just dismiss the pre-Linehan years as simply not having the roster yet. We missed several opportunities due to coaching error.
Missed several opportunities over three entire seasons to win a game here or there. Improving from 8-8 to what, 9-7?

I don't think anyone has ever said he hasn't made mistakes. What has been said is that many of those mistakes are duplicated around the league but other average coaches, and that even correcting those mistakes this team was an average to below average roster at the time.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Missed several opportunities over three entire seasons to win a game here or there. Improving from 8-8 to what, 9-7?

I don't think anyone has ever said he hasn't made mistakes. What has been said is that many of those mistakes are duplicated around the league but other average coaches, and that even correcting those mistakes this team was an average to below average roster at the time.
2013 (8-8) was below average compared to 2014 (12-4)? Other than Martin it was almost the same exact roster.

I'm not just talking about pointed in-game mistakes (which in themselves are well documented), but also big picture philosophical stuff (which are errors in game planning, scheming and preparation, and and aren't the stuff of errors that every coach makes to the same degree).

The first half of the green bay game tells you we could play the style of play that has made us successful the past few years. Had we chosen to.

midswat

... soon
You can say it, but it doesn't make it remotely true, nor does it mean you have a shred more insight than anyone else cause you said it really confidently like.
It is absolutely true. Coaching matters more in the NFL than any other professional sport, and our coach is in way over his head.

We're pissing seasons away with him at the helm.

If there's a reason it won't happen it's most likely cause Jerry will screw it ip somehow.
Agreed. Screwing it up by keeping Garrett employed.

We get it. You're really mad at Garrett! Grrrrr! Say "ever" a few more times.
Ever ever ever ever ever ever.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

It is a fucking shame Dan Quinn can do more in two seasons than Garrett has done his whole career.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Garrett is as good as the average NFL coach but he opts for the conservative approach in crucial situations. He pulls back instead of going for the kill. There are times when a team has to go all out if the stakes are high. From my vantage point Garrett just can't seem to switch to situational strategies.

That said he could have a Super Bowl ring if he will just take on a foot on the neck attitude.

Top Bottom