User Tag List

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sturm's Morning After - Cowboys Defense Can't Stop Rodgers Late

Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
    There's no guarantee that running the ball on second down would have led them to use that timeout. Prescott took it in from 11 the very next down. Am I to believe that it wouldn't have scored had it been called a down earlier instead of the pass? Or are you saying we shouldn't have called the RPO either, but should have just tried to get 3 yards, so we would have had a first and goal from the 8?

People's problem here is that they think we should have been deliberately playing to not score and use up more time.

There is logic in that, but at the same time, you have to take the TD and count on your D not to suck.

Would have loved if we could have ran for 3, picked up the first down, and then run it into the endzone with 12 seconds left on a subsequent play. But there's no guarantee that happens.

People are acting like we had the ability to run out the clock and for sure take the lead but we chose not to. That's not the situation we were facing. We were at the 11 yard line.

You need to score.
    If they don't use their time out, a large chunk of time burns off. It's a win-win for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Angrymesscan View Post
    The problem is that pass was the wrong call, regardless if we scored on the next play, you keep grinding and eating up the clock. You want to score, but you also want to eat up as much clock as possible, you have a 2nd and 3 at their 11, 2 time-outs and 1:30 on the clock, you are in no hurry at all to score, a pass to the endzone has 5 possible outcomes, 4 of which are from bad (sack, incompletion) to terrible (int, strip sack) and one good but not ideal (quick TD), a run has also 5 possible outcomes one terrible (fumble), two bad, but not as bad (loss of yards, not enough for a 1st down) and two good ones (1st down, quick TD). It's football 101...
    Yep.

There's no guarantee that running the ball on second down would have led them to use that timeout. Prescott took it in from 11 the very next down. Am I to believe that it wouldn't have scored had it been called a down earlier instead of the pass?
    Here is the second and 1. Elliott would not have scored.

Quote Originally Posted by GShock View Post

He doesn't have to score there. We all wanted the cowboys to score. Just wanted them to run the clock down while doing it.
    #Fire Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    He doesn't have to score there. We all wanted the cowboys to score. Just wanted them to run the clock down while doing it.
    I know. Just pointing out the answer to Schmitty's question.

Quote Originally Posted by boozeman View Post
    I am not all hung up on that.

Imagine if we played keep away and won. All we would be talking about today is how uber awesome the D is and how Irving is a monster.

This way, we know this defense is shit. Perhaps we do something about it soon.
    The D is shit right now, no question.

I maintain hope that as time passes, it could get better. As our rookie DBs get more experience, Lee gets healthy, Jaylon's reps go down and Taco does...whatever can be done, I think there is a chance they could be low-mediocre instead of horrid. They could even be mediocre at the end of the season, and that would at least give us a fighting chance in any playoff game, and any playoff game would mean more practice reps...

I think we gave away a pretty important W on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by GShock View Post

Prescott maybe just keeps it instead of handing to Elliott, and scores on 2nd and 1. How do we know he doesn't? He did on the very next play.

I'm saying you would have had to specifically call a play on 2nd and one DESIGNED to just get the first down and keep the clocks rolling with a first and goal from the 10, 9, 8 yard line, etc.

Once Prescott breaks free on the RPO keeper, he's getting in the endzone. He's not stopping at the 1.

I would have liked to have been able to leave less time. That's why I'm leaving open the idea that you can complain about the pass as a bad idea in theory.

But the way things played out, there's no proof it cost us, and I can't advocate telling my players to not score. I'm not even sure I can advocate deliberately calling plays to get me first and goal at the 8 or 7. You have no idea if you can score from there.

And telling Dak to pull up at the one also seems far fetched.

I just don't think there was a ton of realistic options. Obviously you can say calling the pass was a bad idea in theory, but once the next play succeeded in an 11 yard touchdown RUN (which also was a converted first and goal if he had been anything over 3 yards), you have to think that play very well could have worked on second down too. And so you are left with the option of saying, they should have been deliberately trying to not score. Shouldn't have called the RPO either -- that they should have called a dive up the middle for three yards and a first down only.

I can't really pin that on the coaches. You have to let your players try to score.

What you have to do is assume your defense can prevent a TD drive in under 1:30.
    True there is no proof the offense would have scored but there is a high probability they would and erase the clock issue. Thinking the defense could curtail Green Bay and Rogers is a very low probably as a coach you assess the probabilities.
    Since Day One

There's no guarantee of anything but you should be doing things that give you a better chance to win.

Trying to win with our running game and controlling the clock gives us a waaaaaaaay better chance than trying to win with our defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Khan View Post
    There's no guarantee of anything but you should be doing things that give you a better chance to win.

Trying to win with our running game and controlling the clock gives us a waaaaaaaay better chance than trying to win with our defense.
    Which, again, is why I said I am not disputing that some could argue that the pass wasn't the best idea.

I'm just rejecting that the pass cost us the game. We don't know that.