Michael Irvin raves about Cowboys' draft

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Michael Irvin raves about Cowboys' draft: Picking Elliott was best for team; Jaylon Smith is 'the next black Luke Kuechly"

By SportsDayDFW.com Contact SportsDayDFW.com on Twitter: @SportsDayDFW Hall of Famer and former Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin joined the G-Bag Nation on KRLD-FM 105.3 The Fan recently to talk all things NFL draft. Here are some of the highlights:

On the Cowboys' selection of Ezekiel Elliott, and his opinion of the team's whole draft:

"Man, I was ecstatic, man. I was so happy. I was, like, 'Oh my God. I'm so glad, Jerry.' They made the best decision for this team by taking that kid. ... I was so ecstatic, man, when Jerry made that pick, man. I'm blown away -- I'm blown away, just blown away with these draft reports I'm seeing. People just hatin' -- they just love messing with Jerry. Even when Jerry gets it right, they want to say he got it wrong, because Jerry got it right this draft. And I'm not just talking about Ezekiel Elliott."

On the Cowboys' selection of Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith at No. 34, which Irvin announced at the draft in Chicago:

"I'm telling y'all right, I'm telling y'all right now, and I need all the people talking about this Jaylon Smith kid -- I'm gonna tell y'all right ... now. I kept his card; I got the card right here next to me. ... I'ma hold on to this card, and when I see this kid in Canton, Ohio, I'ma have him sign it for me. It was one of the greatest thrills of my career to sit and announce that pick, and when he made that pick, when he picked Smith, oh my God! Oh my God! I was off the wall, off the wall. ... I know he has adversity in front of him, but I know the kind of dude he is. He'll come back. ... The baddest man in the league right now, the baddest linebacker in the league right now, Luke Kuechly, I call Luke Kuechly 'the white Ray Lewis.' I said it myself, Jaylon Smith is gonna be the next 'black Luke Kuechly.' That's what we just got, you understand what I'm saying? ... This dude is bad, for real. This dude would've been a top-five pick also, had he not been hurt."

On the Cowboys passing up Myles Jack to draft Smith:

"I read everything, so I read, 'Why not Myles Jack?' Myles Jack was a running back playing linebacker. This dude, he was born to play linebacker. He got the right people, man. I'm telling you, man. I was so happy with Jerry."

More on Elliott and Smith, like how they could elevate the play of the rest of the team:

"He just picked up possibly what I would consider to be two Hall of Famers. And here again, here again, let me just say this, let me just say this: When people know they're playing with guys like this, it makes them play a different kind of way. When played wide receiver, man, when I knew I had Steve Pelluer back there, it made me doubt me. When I got Kevin Sweeney back there, it makes me doubt me, you know? But when I got Troy Aikman? Dude, you can't do nothing with me. Don't even try. With that offensive line, lined up with Darren McFadden and all of that, there's something there. ... When they line up with Ezekiel Elliott -- c'mon, man, stop messing around. [laughter] C'mon, man, stop messing around."

Of course, Irvin didn't stop there. Click here to listen to the full interview.

data

Forbes #1
~Irvin finishes his broken English~

Reporter turns to camera and, "Go watch the movie Concussion."

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Irvin isn't obnoxious like Spags. He doesn't talk down to fans the way Spags does. But Irvin is generally very positive. Except when we let Murray walk.

townsend

Banned
Spats is a little festering pimple of a man, who feels the need to chide the general public for disagreeing with his lord and master Jerry Jones.

Irvin's just a guy with unbridled enthusiasm. If Mickey was just an unapologetic homer it'd be one thing, the fact that he needs to smugly inform the masses about how meaningless marquee free agents are is another.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Spats is a little festering pimple of a man, who feels the need to chide the general public for disagreeing with his lord and master Jerry Jones.

Irvin's just a guy with unbridled enthusiasm. If Mickey was just an unapologetic homer it'd be one thing, the fact that he needs to smugly inform the masses about how meaningless marquee free agents are is another.
You should've read how condescending that fucking mouth breather was years ago when I said that we should sign T.O. after Philly cut him. The fucker posted my email and then insulted my intelligence as to how stupid an idea it was....until we signed him, which then became the greatest idea since the printing press.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I haven't even bothered to read anything the little worm Spags writes in probably seven, eight years because I could only take so much "Are you kidding me?" That and all the dying brain cells from reading his garbage.

MI is a homer but he's more of an enthusiastic homer than that pseudo-omniscient hack.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't even bothered to read anything the little worm Spags writes in probably seven, eight years because I could only take so much "Are you kidding me?" That and all the dying brain cells from reading his garbage.

MI is a homer but he's more of an enthusiastic homer than that pseudo-omniscient hack.
Irvin really loves a stud RB in Dallas too. I remember how pissed he was when we let Murray go. It was one of the few time I've ever seen Irvin down on the Cowboys. So it's not really surprising that he is in full homer mode over us taking Elliott.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Everyone should be excited about a good running back. The success of a team has been a good ground game and a strong defense will take you to the championship dance. I don't know how this philosophy changed but the formula is still correct. Treating running backs like they are plug and play over the counter items is mistake. An average OL can look pretty good with a good running back. Even better with a good OL. An average running back can still look average with a good OL.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Everyone should be excited about a good running back. The success of a team has been a good ground game and a strong defense will take you to the championship dance. I don't know how this philosophy changed but the formula is still correct. Treating running backs like they are plug and play over the counter items is mistake. An average OL can look pretty good with a good running back. Even better with a good OL. An average running back can still look average with a good OL.
Definitely. When you build an OL like Dallas has, featuring anything less than a premiere RB is wasteful.

That synergy can be huge, and it's how Eric Dickerson set the single season rushing record with the Rams and their amazing OL in the early 80's.

Not saying Dallas is going to do that-- those Rams teams stunk without a passing game to speak of and were wiped in the playoffs-- but the potential is there for monster team rushing ability can make the offense very hard to stop.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Irvin really loves a stud RB in Dallas too. I remember how pissed he was when we let Murray go. It was one of the few time I've ever seen Irvin down on the Cowboys. So it's not really surprising that he is in full homer mode over us taking Elliott.
That's because he knows what "8 in the box" will mean for his "son". :lol

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Can Morris be an effective lead blocker? I cannot remember if he ever pulled that duty in Washington... but if he can, I know that Zeke was effective as a FB in college, it would be huge for our offense. You can have both of them on the field and never know which one was going to get the ball.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can Morris be an effective lead blocker? I cannot remember if he ever pulled that duty in Washington... but if he can, I know that Zeke was effective as a FB in college, it would be huge for our offense. You can have both of them on the field and never know which one was going to get the ball.
I wouldn't beat my stud RB up using him as a lead blocker. Blitz pickups are one thing, having him crashing into guys as a lead blocker is not my preference.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not sure.

But I do recall that when he was being drafted, that is where you saw him being projected. That is one reason him being so successful as a runner came from. I think he played FB in the Senior Bowl.

Top Bottom