2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It's funny because the Republicans and Democrats in sort of in similar situations. A Trump Presidency could do serious damage to the Republican party, a Clinton Presidency could do serious damage to the Democratic Party and yet a win for either person basically shows how doomed the opposite party is.
Same question.

What do you see Hillary doing that would doom the party?

How is she much different than Obama or Bill?

Jiggyfly

Banned
This I agree with, or more pointedly I think Clinton gets beaten by young slick Paul Ryan. Pretty much the effect that put her Husband in office will take her out of it. She'll be the aging out of touch insider, and democrat fatigue will have set it by 2020. Of course the Republican base is getting older every day, who knows how many live to 2020.
I could see that and if he does it would not be a bad thing.

If he wins it will have to be on a ticket of working together and he could end a lot of the polarization going on.

2233boys

Not So New Member
What do you see Hillary doing so much different from her husband and Obama.

How is she going to destroy the democratic party?
I don't see her doing anything different period policy wise (that's an issue). I do think she will take us into war. She has been calling for a No Fly Zone in Syria as an example.

She won't do a thing for college tuition or health care.

Minimum wage dead issue for her, let the states do it and go in for a photo op to take credit.

She will push TPP, do nothing to address job shortages or infrastructure.

Her tax plan is the bare minimum that once compromised on will be nothing different than what we have now.

She will do nothing to address poverty or income inequality. She will say whatever she has to get elected and then do nothing that will hurt her quest for power when she is through.

Democrats like me are done with the party pushing corporatist candidates, who's only purpose is to stay in power and collect wealth.

2233boys

Not So New Member
I don't see her doing anything different period policy wise (that's an issue). I do think she will take us into war. She has been calling for a No Fly Zone in Syria as an example.

Minimum wage dead issue for her, let the states do it and go in for a photo op to take credit.

Her tax plan is the bare minimum that once compromised on will be nothing different than what we have now.

She will do nothing to address poverty or income inequality. She will say whatever she has to get elected and then do nothing that will hurt her quest for power when she is through.

Democrats like me are done with the party pushing corporatist candidates, who's only purpose is to stay in power and collect wealth.
The party doesn't represent the people anymore, for that matter neither does the GOP. The represent themselves and their corporate benefactors. There will be no change until people like Hillary are no longer in office, or attempting to run for office.

They are not representative politicians anymore. They are often the kinds of politicians that are called ‘super-predators.’ No conscience, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended that way, but first we have bring them to heel.

I'm literally done, voting for that kind of candidate. There aren't enough democrats left to negate my vote or the millions of independents around the country.

She's a cancer, most politicians are anymore.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same question.

What do you see Hillary doing that would doom the party?

How is she much different than Obama or Bill?
By doing the same shady and potentially illegal stuff that she has already done. By bowing down to corporate interests and in general just doing whatever will benefit herself. I can't imagine women actually think she will do anything for women's rights. By giving even more power to the ACA which has been hated and viewed poorly by the public from the day it was shoved down our throats.

Jiggyfly

Banned
By doing the same shady and potentially illegal stuff that she has already done. By bowing down to corporate interests and in general just doing whatever will benefit herself. I can't imagine women actually think she will do anything for women's rights. By giving even more power to the ACA which has been hated and viewed poorly by the public from the day it was shoved down our throats.
Ok so doing the same things the last 10 or so presidents have done.

And the ACA is at about 50% approval rating now, so I don't see how that dooms a whole political party.

Hillary is the consummate politician she is not doing anything to tarnish her legacy and will do what ever continues to endear her to the voting public.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Ok so doing the same things the last 10 or so presidents have done.

And the ACA is at about 50% approval rating now, so I don't see how that dooms a whole political party.

Hillary is the consummate politician she is not doing anything to tarnish her legacy and will do what ever continues to endear her to the voting public.
That's not leadership or governance. It's pandering, she is Queen panderer though

townsend

Banned
That's not leadership or governance. It's pandering, she is Queen panderer though
True. It's interesting how our two nominees have such similar levels of contempt for there voters, but such divergent tactics.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jesus, it's like you have no idea who Hilary even is. And yes, she does pander to the public, but she has done a horrible job of doing any endearing.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

What it's going to come down to is anyone in the Bernie movement that supports Clinton now will deeply and bitterly regret it by 2020, when she does nothing whatsoever to push the agenda that he forced her to pay lip service to during the primaries and they will abandon the party in droves.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What it's going to come down to is anyone in the Bernie movement that supports Clinton now with deeply and bitterly regret it by 2020, when she does nothing whatsoever to push the agenda that he forced her to pay lip service to during the primaries and they will abandon the party in droves.
The disdain by Bernie fans towards Hilary was really bad during the primaries. I'm sure some will flop, like a couple of people on this board, but I think the vast majority won't even turn out to vote.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The disdain by Bernie fans towards Hilary was really bad during the primaries. I'm sure some will flop, like a couple of people on this board, but I think the vast majority won't even turn out to vote.
I think the under 30 crowd will stay home and the over 30 crowd among Bernie supporters will turn out to vote against Trump. If Trump hadn't gone completely insane and threatened to punish women for having abortions I would have thought he had a chance to pull independents in this election, but after nearly a year of trying he finally found something to say that was stupid enough to permanently damage his candidacy.

townsend

Banned
I'd like to believe young people hate Trump more than they're disappointed by Hillary, but I've been wrong before. It's not been a great few years for republicans, they've pretty much had egg on their face constantly, despite having a democrat in the White House. Between the planned parenthood stuff, the clown car primary, the doofus nominee, the incompetent Governors, and a ex speaker of the house pedophile to boot.

I think the Republicans have seen the seeds of their own destruction this election. Much like in 06 and 08, I think people of all ages will turn out to punish them.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'd like to believe young people hate Trump more than they're disappointed by Hillary, but I've been wrong before. It's not been a great few years for republicans, they've pretty much had egg on their face constantly, despite having a democrat in the White House. Between the planned parenthood stuff, the clown car primary, the doofus nominee, the incompetent Governors, and a ex speaker of the house pedophile to boot.

I think the Republicans have seen the seeds of their own destruction this election. Much like in 06 and 08, I think people of all ages will turn out to punish them.
I think there's a greater level of disgust with the entire process to the degree that it's demotivating. I think Hillary will win, but some kind of landslide and down-ticket mandate is beyond the public's level of interest. IMO, this is going to be a gritty, nasty, low turnout election where Hillary will get a lot of anti-Trump votes, but won't be able to count on them voting straight ticket as the Republican party candidates down-ballot are going to be successful at distancing themselves from Trump.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
BTW, what happened to Ted Cruz? It's like the primary process completely broke him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The upcoming election will probably occur like past elections. Maybe 60% of eligible voters will determine who is elected because the Majority of either party really do not care enough to stand in line for a few minutes forecast a ballot. It will probably come down to the same scenario that has been in play for many past elections. The incumbent party President will get thrown out because they turned out to be no different than the ones they replaced. About every 8 years a dump the leader vote is done. If that holds up this time the Republican candidate is due to get the change out vote.

Last edited:

2233boys

Not So New Member
What it's going to come down to is anyone in the Bernie movement that supports Clinton now will deeply and bitterly regret it by 2020, when she does nothing whatsoever to push the agenda that he forced her to pay lip service to during the primaries and they will abandon the party in droves.
It's happening now, I am staying to see if I can change it, I have my doubts. At least Bernie won my county and all surrounding counties. :happydance

2233boys

Not So New Member
I'll vote I always do. Depending on what Bernie does or says at the convention I'll write him in or vote for Dr. Jill Stein

2233boys

Not So New Member
I think there's a greater level of disgust with the entire process to the degree that it's demotivating. I think Hillary will win, but some kind of landslide and down-ticket mandate is beyond the public's level of interest. IMO, this is going to be a gritty, nasty, low turnout election where Hillary will get a lot of anti-Trump votes, but won't be able to count on them voting straight ticket as the Republican party candidates down-ballot are going to be successful at distancing themselves from Trump.
I think you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom