Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:lol

Booze is not going to be happy.

Cotton

Staff member
If we are going to do this, I'm going to use the opportunity to homer out...

Reggie McKenzie: DeAndre Washington more than just a third-down back

Posted by Josh Alper on May 4, 2016, 12:19 PM EDT

Running back Latavius Murray ran for 1,066 yards last season and went to the Pro Bowl, so it’s fair to say that his first full year as the lead back in Oakland was a successful one.

One thing that the Raiders would like to improve is keeping Murray’s production at a high level across the entire season. After rushing for 4.8 yards per carry in the first half, Murray dropped to 3.3 yards per carry in the second half of the year. They boosted the offensive line by signing guard Kelechi Osemele, which should help the entire offense, and General Manager Reggie McKenzie believes the team got a back in the fifth round who can help keep Murray fresh.

DeAndre Washington is built similarly to Darren Sproles and was used frequently as a receiver at Texas Tech, which seemed to put him on track for a role on third downs in the NFL. McKenzie thinks Washington can do more, however.

“We think he’s a complete back, and when he gets out in space, he can make you look silly.” McKenzie said on 95.7 The Game, via the team’s website. “He can catch the ball, but he can run between the tackles as well as well as bouncing it outside. We think he’s the total package as a runner. We really like him.”

Taiwan Jones, Roy Helu and George Atkinson are the other backs on the roster and none of them proved to be a complement for Murray last season, so the team may need to look outside should Washington fall short of McKenzie’s expectations in the coming months.

:towel

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If we are going to do this, I'm going to use the opportunity to homer out...

Reggie McKenzie: DeAndre Washington more than just a third-down back

Posted by Josh Alper on May 4, 2016, 12:19 PM EDT

Running back Latavius Murray ran for 1,066 yards last season and went to the Pro Bowl, so it’s fair to say that his first full year as the lead back in Oakland was a successful one.

One thing that the Raiders would like to improve is keeping Murray’s production at a high level across the entire season. After rushing for 4.8 yards per carry in the first half, Murray dropped to 3.3 yards per carry in the second half of the year. They boosted the offensive line by signing guard Kelechi Osemele, which should help the entire offense, and General Manager Reggie McKenzie believes the team got a back in the fifth round who can help keep Murray fresh.

DeAndre Washington is built similarly to Darren Sproles and was used frequently as a receiver at Texas Tech, which seemed to put him on track for a role on third downs in the NFL. McKenzie thinks Washington can do more, however.

“We think he’s a complete back, and when he gets out in space, he can make you look silly.” McKenzie said on 95.7 The Game, via the team’s website. “He can catch the ball, but he can run between the tackles as well as well as bouncing it outside. We think he’s the total package as a runner. We really like him.”

Taiwan Jones, Roy Helu and George Atkinson are the other backs on the roster and none of them proved to be a complement for Murray last season, so the team may need to look outside should Washington fall short of McKenzie’s expectations in the coming months.

:towel
He's going to be a good back.

Cotton

Staff member
He's going to be a good back.
If they can find a way to get him in space, he is going to tear it up. Not that he has to be in space to excel, but that's where he is obviously best.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If they can find a way to get him in space, he is going to tear it up. Not that he has to be in space to excel, but that's where he is obviously best.
He's very strong and compact.

Cotton

Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Wonder if you could find a way to trade McFadden. Then your RBs can be Elliott, Morris, Jackson, and maybe Dunbar.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know they only said they drafted him because they thought he would be harder to get as an UDFA, but I hope they find a way to use him.
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything? The Cowboys clearly wanted him on the roster otherwise they wouldn't have drafted him.

I wonder if the Cowboys statement was sort of a reflection on missing out on Rawls last year. With Mcfadden, Randle and Dunbar the Cowboys figured they could just sign him as an UDFA. Instead he signed with the Seahawks. Obviously Dallas really could have used Rawls last year and if they had it to do again would have probably used an end of the draft pick on him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wonder if you could find a way to trade McFadden. Then your RBs can be Elliott, Morris, Jackson, and maybe Dunbar.
I think that's one of those things you look at towards the end of preseason when a team may be runningback hungry. Sort of like we ended up being when we traded with the Seahawks.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
what was the major knock on this guy? Seems to run a little upright but he looks like a solid prospect. I was stretching for something to knock him for. His combine measureables are pretty fantastic

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
what was the major knock on this guy? Seems to run a little upright but he looks like a solid prospect. I was stretching for something to knock him for. His combine measureables are pretty fantastic
Sort of a one year wonder. Was basically great this past year but didn't do much in prior years. At a big time school that wouldn't be much of a concern but a physical talent like this guy should start from day one at a shit small school. I don't see much to dislike. I love how he runs angry. I know RBs like that can burn out quickly but Marshawn Lynch and Murray are great examples of backs who just run angry

Top Bottom