Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:lol

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Pete Prisco's grade:

Dallas Cowboys

Best pick: I love third-round pick Maliek Collins, a defensive tackle from Nebraska. He is a penetrating tackle who will help the inside pass rush. He will end up being a steal.

Questionable move: Taking injured linebacker Jaylon Smith in the second round was a head shaker. He has nerve damage in his foot coming off a major knee injury. He probably won't play a down this year.

Third-day gem: Love the pick of quarterback Dak Prescott in the fourth round. They can develop him behind Tony Romo as a potential successor. Solid decision.

Analysis: I don't like taking backs high, so I ding the Cowboys for taking Ezekiel Elliott in the fourth spot, even if he's a good player. They also get two players -- Smith in the second and Prescott in the fourth -- who won't help right away. That's troubling. I did like some of their other picks, but not a great draft for me.

Grade: C-
That C- was the lowest grade Prisco gave to anyone.

data

Forbes #1
I hate to say it. Really hate to say it, but almost a cathartic sigh of relief saying it.

Golf clap for this draft. Maybe the first time I have no complaints about something our team has done since the hiring of Bill Parcells.

Cotton

Staff member
Kiper gave us a C.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Must be first time in years we didn't trade.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We are getting an awfully lot of low grades from these experts, but everyone loves the Collins and Tapper picks. If Elliot ends up a rookie of the year contender and Jaylon Smith ends up healthy, this draft can't be anything but a B+ or higher.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Jerry Jones still regrets not being more aggressive for Lynch deal

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 1, 2016, 11:25 AM EDT

The Cowboys finally drafted a quarterback yesterday in Dak Prescott, but owner Jerry Jones was still kicking himself for the deal he didn’t make two days prior.

Via Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Jones spent part of his post-draft wrap-up lamenting the fact he wasn’t able to seal the deal for quarterback Paxton Lynch during the first round. The Cowboys were trying to make the same trade with Seattle which Denver made to get to the 26th pick for, but didn’t get it done and had to watch the Memphis quarterback head to Colorado.

“When I look back on my life, I overpaid for my big successes every time,” Jones said. “And when I tried to get a bargain, get it a little cheaper or get a better deal on it, I ended up usually either getting it and not happy I got it. Or missing it.

“And I probably should have overpaid here.”

Jones said he wasn’t able to sleep Thursday night because of it, and over coffee, realized he wished he had pulled the trigger.

“I was still mad about it,” Jones said. “Actually thought we had it done.”

He missed another opportunity when the Raiders traded a spot in front of him in the fourth to take Connor Cook, but that one didn’t create the same kind of non-buyer’s remorse.

So as excited as he might be about Prescott, Lynch will remain the one who got away.

No, Jerry, for once you actually did the right thing.

He regretted not taking Manziel too and that was the right non-move as well.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
In retrospect Lynch seems like the better NFL prospect over Manziel though.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Philly, so classy.

Have your future franchise QB fly into town coach, and then introduce him in a field in the rain.

Can't wait till Lurie is gone and that franchise can go back to being run by losers who know their place in the dregs of the NFL and will just fucking stay there instead of getting all uppity and stealing and ruining players who should be Cowboys.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
In retrospect Lynch seems like the better NFL prospect over Manziel though.
Of course, but giving up the middle of your draft is a huge negative.

The comparison I'm making is Jerry's regret afterwards. Just because he regrets it doesn't mean it would have been the right thing to do.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I'm still excited about Elliott. Don't care that he went #4 overall. A runner that can do it all, and is a prototype three down RB, can't go wrong with that.

Last edited:

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Dak is a better NFL prospect than Mazel in retrospect...
That's actually a very true statement. It doesn't mean that Dak has any particular NFL potential, but shows how little Manziel actually had. Of course, many of us (myself included) said that about Manziel from day 1.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I hate to say it. Really hate to say it, but almost a cathartic sigh of relief saying it.

Golf clap for this draft. Maybe the first time I have no complaints about something our team has done since the hiring of Bill Parcells.
Same here. It wasn't a great draft like 2005 but it was solid. I think we came out of this draft with at least 4 key contributors.

And the fact that they didn't waste a 3rd or 4th round pick on a Div II DB was a huge victory as well.

I'm not anti-small school at all because know many great players come from the smaller schools. But clearly the Cowboys scouts aren't capable of finding those hidden gems.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Cook mentioned he was surprised to go to the Raiders, mentioned Cowboys trying to move up to get him.

Cotton

Staff member
Sporting News grade:

Dallas Cowboys: C+

Whom they drafted: RB Ezekiel Elliott, ILB Jaylon Smith, DT Maliek Collins, DE Charles Tapper, QB Dak Prescott, CB Anthony Brown, S Kevon Frazier, RB Darius Jackson, TE Rico Gathers

MORE: Yes, Dak Prescott can be the Cowboys' future

Why they grade: Elliott is an awesome talent and shouldn't drop off much from his awesome Ohio State production behind that offensive line. The Cowboys were also pretty confident that Smith can get back healthy and back to being like the dominant rangy force he was at Notre Dame. But those picks came with some opportunity cost of not being able to address their secondary and defensive line needs earlier. Prescott fell to them at the right time. Elliott picks his class up a lot as a win-now pick, but it's inconsistent overall, because most of the other picks reflect a win-later mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom