2016 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
NC State was 7-6 then 3-9 and then under Brissett they rebounded back to their normal 7-6. Its not like they revived there program. Keep in mind he also was barely able to break 2500 yards passing a season there and had pretty low YPA. Brissett's accuracy makes Prescott look like Drew Brees by comparison.

I've thought Brissett was garbage for awhile now though, so none of this is new. I put him in the same light of Cardale Jones and Driskel. Guys with strong arms and not much more.
They were 8-5 his initial starting year.

He was asked to throw more of the route tree than Prescott and from a more pro style system than Dak.

Which is why his completion percentage was low, not saying he is great with his accuracy but he was throwing much more difficult passes than Dak.

He is nothing like Jones he throws with touch and has shown the ability to read defenses, he was not a 1 read guy.

Belichek must see something to use a 3rd on a 3rd string QB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If I was drafting I would've went:

4. Ezekiel Elliott
34. A'Shawn Robinson
67. Yannick Ngakoue
101. Josh Perry
135. Ronald Blair
189. Brandon Allen
212. Jalen Mills
216. Thomas Duarte
217. Charone Peak

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was asked to throw more of the route tree than Prescott and from a more pro style system than Dak.
How do you figure? He was in shotgun running the zone read from everything I've seen. It's the same offense that Jordan Lynch ran at Northern Illinois. About as far from an NFL offense as anything.

Jiggyfly

Banned

4. Ezekiel Elliott
34. A'Shawn Robinson
67. Yannick Ngakoue
101. Josh Perry
135. Ronald Blair
189. Brandon Allen
212. Jalen Mills
216. Thomas Duarte
217. Charone Peak
I am still on the fence about Smith, l would have taken Jack who is more physical.

After watching some videos of Smith he looks kinda small almost safety size.

I like Taper and Collins more than your guys and I wanted Mills as well the other guys I could take or leave.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am still on the fence about Smith, l would have taken Jack who is more physical.
If both guys are healthy to me it's Jaylon Smith. Just way better instincts in my opinion against the run. They are both elite athletes. Jaylon is a little longer while Jack looks like he has more of a thick build. Jack is definitely the bigger hitter though.

I can understand a preference for Jack from the perspective of he will play in 2016 and we have no idea if Jaylon will play a down. If the nerve comes back Jaylon's knee is better than Jack's but if the nerve doesn't come back obviously Jack's is better. Ultimately after looking at all of it I would be cool with Jaylon or Jack in the second round. I'm hoping the Cowboys knowledge of Jaylon's knee means that the nerve comes back with no issues. But nothing with medical stuff is ever 100%.

data

Forbes #1
I want to hear what our team doctors said the percentage of Smith's full recovery is. Reported that some of other teams thought it was as low as 20%. If only 20%, much too high risk we spent on a 2nd rounder.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

After watching some videos of Smith he looks kinda small almost safety size.

I like Taper and Collins more than your guys and I wanted Mills as well the other guys I could take or leave.
I liked the Tapper/Collins picks alot and think both end up being at least valuable rotational pieces, if not starters, I just think there were better options available.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Look back our recent 2nd round pick history. It's either TEs, injured LBs, or suspension picks. I don't know why you guys would think it would be any different.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Look back our recent 2nd round pick history. It's either TEs, injured LBs, or suspension picks. I don't know why you guys would think it would be any different.
Yea, it's always something with these fools in the 2nd round. It's why I would've been fine with trading up for Lynch if it was just our 2nd and 3rd. Now if the Smith gamble works out I'll be happy we didn't trade up for him but who knows what the odds are of that happening.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want to hear what our team doctors said the percentage of Smith's full recovery is. Reported that some of other teams thought it was as low as 20%. If only 20%, much too high risk we spent on a 2nd rounder.
I have to think 20% was just one of those things some teams were floating out there to knock his stock down. The doctor said the odds are good, so that certainly means over 50% right? But I think there is also a range of nerve that could recover. For example he could get full function back, he could get limited function back or he could get no function back. So it's not really black and white thing.

Jiggyfly

Banned
How do you figure? He was in shotgun running the zone read from everything I've seen. It's the same offense that Jordan Lynch ran at Northern Illinois. About as far from an NFL offense as anything.
I am not saying it was a pro style offense per say just that he was doing more pro style stuff, he played under center some as well.

What he ran was closer to what Goff did than what Prescott was doing.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

4. Ezekiel Elliott
34. A'Shawn Robinson
67. Yannick Ngakoue
101. Josh Perry
135. Ronald Blair
189. Brandon Allen
212. Jalen Mills
216. Thomas Duarte
217. Charone Peak
Here's mine I posted a couple of days ago, very similar:

1. Ezekiel Elliot RB
2. A’Shawn Robinson DT
3. Shilique Calhoun DE
4. Eric Murray CB
4b. Ronald Blair DE
6a. Brandon Allen QB
6b. Aaron Burbridge WR
6c. Jalen Mills S
6d. Charone Peake WR

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I liked the Tapper/Collins picks alot and think both end up being at least valuable rotational pieces, if not starters, I just think there were better options available.
Im just glad to see we took guys in those rounds near where they were projected for once. And also not players that dropped due to injury or character issues. I think there were some better option but am fine with Collins and Tapper.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Here's mine I posted a couple of days ago, very similar:

1. Ezekiel Elliot RB
2. A’Shawn Robinson DT
3. Shilique Calhoun DE
4. Eric Murray CB
4b. Ronald Blair DE
6a. Brandon Allen QB
6b. Aaron Burbridge WR
6c. Jalen Mills S
6d. Charone Peake WR
Yea, I'm glad we got Kavon Frazier, the S who has a Barry Church ceiling from Bumblefuck State though.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Yea, I'm glad we got Kavon Frazier, the S who has a Barry Church ceiling from Bumblefuck State though.
Guess I can't get too critical over a late 6th rounder. But it was a downer to see his NFL comp be Church. Would've preferred Mills but he did drop to the 7th for a reason.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think Central Michigan is really that unheard of. They play in the Mid American Conference at least. Kavon Frazier is a lot more athletic then Church. Church was like a 4.68 kind of guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guess I can't get too critical over a late 6th rounder. But it was a downer to see his NFL comp be Church. Would've preferred Mills but he did drop to the 7th for a reason.
Yeah I liked Jalen Mills more as well. Frazier is more of a physical player though while Mills is more of a safety/corner tweener type. According to NFL.com they had a higher grade on Frazier if that makes you feel any better. I hate to say this but part of our reasoning probably had to do with the fact that Frazier will be a more impactful special teamer for the time being. Although if I need a guy to step in at safety as a rookie I'd feel much better with Jalen Mills.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ed Eagen. I think this guy might have a decent chance to make the roster. He looks pretty good as a kick and punt returner. Sure handed and no wasted moves before he takes off. Has decent speed, and looks really shifty and quick in his cuts. Darius Jackson was a kick returner too, right? It will be nice to have some competition for that instead of just running out what we have been.
When asked who his favorite UDFA is...

Stars

DCC 4Life
When asked who his favorite UDFA is...

Just watching highlights of Eagen, he looks exponentially more athletic than Cole Beasley. Whether that translates to an nfl receiver, I dunno.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom