2016 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just save the picks for Josh Rosen in 2 years Jerry.
Or trade back next year and get another 1st round pick the following year. Then they would have two #1s to move up to the front plus their other picks to throw in. I would go all in for a franchise QB as long as we don't have a laundry list of other needs by then.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or trade back next year and get another 1st round pick the following year. Then they would have two #1s to move up to the front plus their other picks to throw in. I would go all in for a franchise QB as long as we don't have a laundry list of other needs by then.
Well hopefully with all the picks we have poured into the defense over the last couple of years these guys start to develop and we have a strong defense soon. Our offense right now is pretty flawless other then small things like we will probably need receivers next year.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
You really think he was the worst QB in the draft? I wasn't a fan but I don't think he was the worst. I think he's better than Kessler, and he went in the 3rd.
I would put him about equal with all the other QBs who I don't expect to make any contribution. Once a player's value is zero there's not much point in arguing which is worse. I'd have been fine with Hogan at that pick because at least he's probably a good backup. I don't know what we expect to do with an option QB with no arm.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He's better then Brissett too.
Well, I think he was better than a lot of the QBs that were draft eligible. I probably would have put him around 6 or so from the top. I know I was against his being drafted, but to be honest, that was mostly because I was scared he was going to be drafted with our 3rd or high 4th. I can live with being at the bottom of the 4th, I guess. Also, I had it in my head that if we did take a QB this year, Jerry would forget the position thinking it was now taken care of. And lastly, I admit I had visions of Carson Wentz wearing cowboys blue for too long. It might have influenced my thinking.

Maybe.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would put him about equal with all the other QBs who I don't expect to make any contribution. Once a player's value is zero there's not much point in arguing which is worse. I'd have been fine with Hogan at that pick because at least he's probably a good backup. I don't know what we expect to do with an option QB with no arm.
The way I look at it is sort of that I think there were 4 guys in this draft with potential to start in the NFL. Now that doesn't mean all four guys become starters but I legitimately think they have a chance. After Wentz, Goff, Lynch and Cook to me it was a question of who could be the best long term backups in the NFL. I could make an argument that Dak is the best of that group. Before the draft my big fear was that we would intentionally pass on other better QBs because we were in love with Dak. That didn't end up being the case. And as a 4th/5th round pick I think a guy who could be a really good backup for awhile in the league is good value. Shit we gave up a fifth round pick for a washed up Cassel. Now if you want to argue that Hogan will be a better backup in the NFL I can understand that. Just a very different physical set than Dak.

And who knows, maybe down the road one of these QBs I'm doubting surprises. If you had told me Tyrod Taylor had a future in this league I would have called you an idiot.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If we had a coach with some kind of offensive creativity I would have some interest in what he could do with Prescott, but we're not going to do anything but try to get him to run Coryell For Dummies and then dumb the offense down to the point where we couldn't score if the opposing defense left the field, same as we've done with every backup Romo has ever had. I'd have been psyched to get a guy like Lynch who has elite tools, or happy with a guy like Hogan who is fairly pro ready and doesn't need any of the development that our coaching staff will be unable to provide. Any kind of project or non pro-style gadget player, I have zero hope that he becomes any kind of contributor.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you figure that?
Just a way better player in college. Not really even comparable. It also doesn't help that Brissett basically failed miserably at Florida. The only real argument for Brissett is that he has a stronger arm and more prototypical size. But Prescott has an advantage in basically every other category in my opinion.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Just a way better player in college. Not really even comparable. It also doesn't help that Brissett basically failed miserably at Florida. The only real argument for Brissett is that he has a stronger arm and more prototypical size. But Prescott has an advantage in basically every other category in my opinion.
You know who else failed miserably at Florida, Cam.

And don't know how that effects what he did at NCST, they were 3-9 before he started.

43 Td's and only 11 int's is pretty good coming from the team he had around him.

Anyway let's just agree to disagree.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
We are getting an awfully lot of low grades from these experts, but everyone loves the Collins and Tapper picks. If Elliot ends up a rookie of the year contender and Jaylon Smith ends up healthy, this draft can't be anything but a B+ or higher.
These low grades are odd considering most like Collins and Tapper. Combine that with Elliot and it's at least a B. I question the Jaylon pick based on it being an unnecessary gamble with so many other worthy players available. But if he comes back even close to what he was then we have a solid A. Throw in hitting on any of the 6th rounders and we're golden.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Same here. It wasn't a great draft like 2005 but it was solid. I think we came out of this draft with at least 4 key contributors.

And the fact that they didn't waste a 3rd or 4th round pick on a Div II DB was a huge victory as well.

I'm not anti-small school at all because know many great players come from the smaller schools. But clearly the Cowboys scouts aren't capable of finding those hidden gems.
Some small school players are on everyone's radar, like Demarcus Ware and Larry Allen, etc. But I agree, I'd rather go with the more established large school players in the middle and late rounds than try to find a small school gem based on workout number and potential. I'd much prefer this new approach.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I would have agreed with this had Ogbah and Dodd not gone right before us. After that, for the second round? Meh.

I like this draft, and embrace the hate on the draft grades about RBs in round 1. I am inordinately positive about the Tapper pick.
At that point the talent at DL was as DT. But I would've been fine with that and then come back to DE, WR or CB in the 3rd instead of Collins. But if Jaylon recovers he will be better than any DT at that spot. But it's still a big if that he will be the same player and not have linger effects.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And don't know how that effects what he did at NCST, they were 3-9 before he started.

43 Td's and only 11 int's is pretty good coming from the team he had around him.
NC State was 7-6 then 3-9 and then under Brissett they rebounded back to their normal 7-6. Its not like they revived there program. Keep in mind he also was barely able to break 2500 yards passing a season there and had pretty low YPA. Brissett's accuracy makes Prescott look like Drew Brees by comparison.

I've thought Brissett was garbage for awhile now though, so none of this is new. I put him in the same light of Cardale Jones and Driskel. Guys with strong arms and not much more.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Ed Eagen. I think this guy might have a decent chance to make the roster. He looks pretty good as a kick and punt returner. Sure handed and no wasted moves before he takes off. Has decent speed, and looks really shifty and quick in his cuts. Darius Jackson was a kick returner too, right? It will be nice to have some competition for that instead of just running out what we have been.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Well, I think he was better than a lot of the QBs that were draft eligible. I probably would have put him around 6 or so from the top. I know I was against his being drafted, but to be honest, that was mostly because I was scared he was going to be drafted with our 3rd or high 4th. I can live with being at the bottom of the 4th, I guess. Also, I had it in my head that if we did take a QB this year, Jerry would forget the position thinking it was now taken care of. And lastly, I admit I had visions of Carson Wentz wearing cowboys blue for too long. It might have influenced my thinking.

Maybe.
Let's face it, I wanted one of the top three QBs, as many of us did. But since he's on the team now I'm hoping that he turns out okay for us, the lack of pocket awareness concerns me though. He did seem to improve his accuracy from year to year though so I guess we'll see what happens.

dallen

Senior Tech
Collins is someone I had a chance to follow a bit. I was not breaking tape or anything, but the fans here in Neb don't homer out...they support their players, but they are honest about the Huskers. They had thoughts of him being the next Suh...he never was close to that, but he has crazy talent. We all kind of sit back and want Marinelli to wave his magic wand...this is the kind of player he could take from a depth guy, to a possible impact DT.
I'm excited about both Collins and Tapper now that I have had a chance to read up on them. They seem like they have a lot of talent, but just weren't put in the best place to succeed by their college teams. That is a much better way to find talent late in the draft than taking risks on injured players or guys who can't pass a drug test. Our first four picks all have the potential to make a big impact at important positions.

dallen

Senior Tech
couldnt agree more with this. Listen, the guy knows what he is talking about but hes all about "value" to his board. He simply doesn't like taking a running back early in the draft, which is fine but I don't care what he says - loved the pick.

I'm curious to see what he said about Todd Gurley when he was drafted last year and even Trent Richardson
Honestly, I don't like taking a RB early either, but it was the right move for this team in this draft.

dallen

Senior Tech

Maybe.
We all did, man. We all did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom