Soccer Thread

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Leicester still killing it, they only need 9 points out of the last 5 games to pull off what would be the equivalent of like the Hornets winning the NBA title next season.
Not even that compares.

It would be more like a D-League team getting promoted to the NBA and winning a title.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I hope they do a 30 for 30 on this season. Pretty remarkable.
There's never been anything like it in the history of team sports. Not even close.

Like I said, it's like a D-League team moving up to the NBA, winning the title, and their career D-League/minor league player being the player of the year to go along with the championship.

It's the type of story that's usually reserved for movies that we then turn around and mock by saying "That would never happen in real life".

Well, it actually did happen in real life.

D

Deuce

There's never been anything like it in the history of team sports. Not even close.

Like I said, it's like a D-League team moving up to the NBA, winning the title, and their career D-League/minor league player being the player of the year to go along with the championship.

It's the type of story that's usually reserved for movies that we then turn around and mock by saying "That would never happen in real life".

Well, it actually did happen in real life.
I just read that they could pocket as much as $220M for winning the league now. I hope they take a sizable chunk of that and reinvest it back into the team.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I just read that they could pocket as much as $220M for winning the league now. I hope they take a sizable chunk of that and reinvest it back into the team.
Not only that, but they've got a ton of money coming to them as a result of having qualified for the Champions League.

Keeping their players should not be a problem unless they're drawn by the allure of joining one of the big clubs.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
They should sell some of the players, they caught lightning in a bottle. They'll never be worth more than right now.

D

Deuce

They should sell some of the players, they caught lightning in a bottle. They'll never be worth more than right now.
Or just take about $150M+ of that money and invest it in some upgrades to put around those top players. Ride this wave as long as you can.

Carl

RIP Brother
Arsenal should hire Simone. Not sure if he would leave though, but Arsenal need a kick up the arse, no pun intended.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
6 of the last 8 and 8 of the last 12.

The greatest!

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yet no champions...
Maybe, but that goes to show you the unbelievable standard they've set.

Fans of other clubs are taking shots at them for not becoming the only club in history to win consecutive champions leagues.

They're ONLY going to do the double a season after they became the only club in history to do the double-treble. :lol

However will we get over it?

:jerk

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Maybe, but that goes to show you the unbelievable standard they've set.

Fans of other clubs are taking shots at them for not becoming the only club in history to win consecutive champions leagues.

They're ONLY going to do the double a season after they became the only club in history to do the double-treble. :lol

However will we get over it?

:jerk
Huh?
Real from 56-60
Milan 89-90
Bayern 74-76
Liverpool 77-78
Ajax 71-73
Internazionale 64-65
Benfica 61-62
Nottingham 79-80

Actually Barcelona is one of the few repeat winners that have never won it at least back to back once...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Huh?
Real from 56-60
Milan 89-90
Bayern 74-76
Liverpool 77-78
Ajax 71-73
Internazionale 64-65
Benfica 61-62
Nottingham 79-80

Actually Barcelona is one of the few repeat winners that have never won it at least back to back once...
You're talking about the European Cup which is what it was called prior to 1992. And I wouldn't even know what to call that measly little tournament from the 50's when Madrid won it, but it certainly does not deserve to be lumped in as a CL or European Cup title, even if FIFA officially recognizes it as such.

Since it's current iteration as the Champion's League tournament, no one has been able to win the competition back to back.

It's an extremely difficult thing to do now because gone are all the rules and restrictions from before.

Carl

RIP Brother
This is really be whats Sports are all about.

Hibs first trophy for 114 years.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
This is really be whats Sports are all about.

Hibs first trophy for 114 years.
That was a soccer game? With all the bloodspill, I thought that was a battle scene from Braveheart.

Carl

RIP Brother
That was a soccer game? With all the bloodspill, I thought that was a battle scene from Braveheart.
Maybe if they had pics of the Golden Gate Bridge, which has as much relevance to this as a Niners or Warriors game, you might get excited.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'll miss Carl in this thread.

Would've been great to get his thoughts on the Euros and what he thought of the home nations.

RIP, bud.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I can't help but wonder what ol' Carl would think of Mourinho leading United right now, especially in the midst of a mini-crisis.

Top Bottom