Did Stephen talk Jerry out of moving up for Lynch?

GShock

DCC 4Life
Or he realizes at least that his time is running short and next year's draft class sucks ass.

All in all, it is a promising thought process.

Maybe the FIVE YEARS NOT A DAMN DEBATE GUYS thing is not the reality of truly how he is thinking these days.

I find it a little concerning that he asked and Goof Son remained silent.

He gets credit for being the voice of reason, but I think he is actually more sunshiney than we were all led to believe.
I don't see it that way. To me, it came off like Stepehn is there to rein in Deddy's impulses- tie him to the chair when he wants Manzel. Sounds like they had a strategy, had set their squeal point, and Stephen stuck to it while Jerry wanted to go off script. Not so much sunshiney as disciplined.

As an aside, how about Baltimore not willing to pay the price for Ramsey? Wonder if there's some regret there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its funny how one thing impacts another. If we had traded down with the Ravens we would likely have gotten Elliott at 6 and then used the extra fourth to package with our own to move up for Lynch.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
This article alone tells me that Jones is accutely aware that Romo is potentially a dead man walking. He was apparently mentally tooled to find a replacement candidate this draft but simply miscalculated on his strategy.
I agree. Hopefully we'll continue looking next year. No telling what that class will end up offering up.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Its funny how one thing impacts another. If we had traded down with the Ravens we would likely have gotten Elliott at 6 and then used the extra fourth to package with our own to move up for Lynch.
That scenario would've been great. But having the Ravens take Elliot while we were left with Floyd would've sucked.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
What if we had traded down, first to 6 (picking up the fourth Baltimore was offering) and then from 6 to 15 (picking up a 2016 2nd and a 2017 2nd -- Cleveland got a third this year and second next year to move from 8 to 15 so I just increased the third to another 2nd this year).

Then:

1 (15) QB Paxton Lynch
2 (34) OLB Jaylon Ramsey
2 (45) CB Mackenzie Alexander
3 (67) DT Maliek Collins
4 (101) DE Charles Tapper
4 (104) RB Devontae Booker

Nice.
Why would they offer more to get the same player they could get at 8?

data

Forbes #1
Leonard Floyd at 6 and I'd be shopping for replacement furniture.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm holding a 5 week old as a type this, cut me a friggin break!
Looks like the lack of sleep has someone at their breaking point. :lol

Cotton

Staff member
Reports were that Baltimore was trying to move up to take Elliot, which is why we ultimately didn't make the trade.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I would have traded up for Lynch, especially if he is 12 on our board. Even at the cost of a 2 and 3.
Me too.

QBs who have the potential to be the long-term answer for you are the players who are worth a paying a bit more for.

I wish they had pulled the trigger.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not according to Jerry and Stephen. The Ravens were after Elliot.
I think Jerry's statement was garbled. The one I read at least didn't even nake sense and required interpretation. Reports from the Ravens the next day came out that they wanted to trade up for Ramsey. The reason we turned it down wasn't Elliott, it was that we wanted a third and the Ravens would only do a fourth.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The Ravens wanted to jump the Jags for Ramsey.
That's what I thought but also heard rumor they may have liked Elliot. But if they moved up for Ramsey the only risk would've been with Jax' player gone, they might have traded down with someone wanting Elliot at 5. But most likely he would've been there for us at 6 but it wasn't guaranteed.

Cotton

Staff member
I think Jerry's statement was garbled. The one I read at least didn't even nake sense and required interpretation. Reports from the Ravens the next day came out that they wanted to trade up for Ramsey. The reason we turned it down wasn't Elliott, it was that we wanted a third and the Ravens would only do a fourth.

But, in googling, there are conflicting reports. I saw another report that said they were after Ramsey, so I guess it's just a matter of who you believe.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

But, in googling, there are conflicting reports. I saw another report that said they were after Ramsey, so I guess it's just a matter of who you believe.
3rd post in this thread-

Moments after the Chargers picked defensive end Joey Bosa, Dallas was on the clock with the fourth pick. Jacksonville had the fifth pick; Dallas knew the Jags were no threat to take Elliott. Baltimore had the sixth pick; Dallas suspected cornerback Jalen Ramsey was the Ravens’ target too. The aim for Dallas here was to move down two slots and add Baltimore’s third-round pick, number 70 overall. Dallas felt it could package that third-round pick and the Cowboys’ second-rounder, 34th overall, to move into the second half of the first round and snag Lynch.

Stephen Jones, one observer noted, picked up the phone and called Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome. “Hey Oz,” Stephen Jones said. “We probably will pick here, but …” Newsome told Jones that to move up from 6 to 4 in the first round he’d give Baltimore’s fourth-rounder, 104 overall. “We need a three to do it,” Stephen Jones told him. “If you change your mind, call me.”

Later, Jerry Jones explained the thought process thusly: “We probably get the same player at 6 that we get at 4, but the extra third-round pick lets us take our two and do something special. I am fine with taking risks. In fact, I’m a big proponent of risk. The problem is when you take too much of it for not enough gain.” As the minutes passed before the pick, Jerry Jones got lost in thought, one observer noting him leaning back in his chair in the quiet draft room, chewing on a yellow pencil. He was thinking if he traded to six, and lost both Elliott and Ramsey on the next two picks, Dallas would take pass-rusher Leonard Floyd of Georgia. He liked Floyd. He loved Elliott.

“I’ve had my finest hours in business going against the grain,” Jones said. “Business is bad. I jump in. Why? The opportunity’s good. This draft is a little bit contrary, but it’s in step with how I think.”

His coach did too. Garrett, on Monday, closed his office door and spent seven hours looking at every snap of Ramsey at Florida State in 2015, and every snap of Elliott at Ohio State in 2016. He liked Ramsey. He loved Elliott. Garrett told the Joneses he favored Elliott. So the group was solid as the clock ran down here for pick number four of the first round of the 2016 draft.

“Two minutes,” someone called out.

Jones asked offensive coordinator Scott Linehan what he thought. “Zeke’s an impact player,” Linehan said.

Quiet in the room, observers said. No one spoke. The Ravens didn’t call. The Joneses wished they would, but now …

“One minute.”

It was obvious Baltimore wasn’t bluffing. Eight minutes had passed from the time Stephen Jones told Newsome to call if he changed his mind. It was clear he hadn’t. And Jerry Jones didn’t want to risk losing the player who’d been the team’s preferred target for months.

“Get Zeke on the phone,” Jerry Jones said. And he instructed the card to be turned in with Ezekiel Elliott’s name on it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
NFLN reported some team wanted to trade up for Elliott.

I wonder if the Jags would have traded down at that point, having missed on Ramsey.
And that chance is why we didn't trade down. Which if it happened and we ended up with Floyd I'm breaking shit angry. What NFL teams see in that workout wonder is beyond my understanding. I think he busts big in the NFL.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
And that chance is why we didn't trade down. Which if it happened and we ended up with Floyd I'm breaking shit angry. What NFL teams see in that workout wonder is beyond my understanding. I think he busts big in the NFL.
i was actually pissed the bears traded up to snatch him before the giants. The guy is an intriguing prospect but not top 10. I thought he was a good early 2nd round pick.

Then the Giants reached on Eli Apple so I didn't feel as bad.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
i was actually pissed the bears traded up to snatch him before the giants. The guy is an intriguing prospect but not top 10. I thought he was a good early 2nd round pick.

Then the Giants reached on Eli Apple so I didn't feel as bad.
Tall and athletic but shitty college player is how you end up with Dion Jordan or Barkevious Mingo.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Even if the Ravens did want Ramsey, who's to say that, with Ramsey off the board, the Jags wouldn't then have traded out to a team looking to take Elliott ahead of us? A fourth isn't really worth that risk, especially if Floyd was our backup plan.

Top Bottom