Why Ezekiel Elliott had better be Adrian Peterson to justify Cowboys' decision

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in agreement with Kiper that you shouldn't use a top 10 pick on a RB. I would have traded down from 4. Elliott was the best back, no question about it. But there were starting quality RBs still there in the fourth/fifth round. You can't say that about other positions like QB or WR.

With all that being said, who cares at this point. Elliott will be a stud in Dallas and put up great stats. He isn't Peterson but he may put up Peterson numbers with this line. And no one will care in the end. Just like no one cares if it was the line making Emmitt great or Emmitt making the line look great.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
:lol

So now Ramsey is Charles Woodson or Ed Reed?

Woodson had 21 career college interceptions. Reed had 16. Even Polamalu had 6, AKA double Ramsey's career total of THREE.

Ramsey doesn't even belong in the same paragraph, let alone sentence.

As for Ramsey + Henry... well I'll take Jalen Smith and Zeke Elliott any day of the week. I mean, WTF did Ramsey ever do here to deserve the fellating he's getting?
Exactly this.

Elliott has a much better chance of being the next Peterson than Ramsey does being the next Woodson or Reed. The guy has stone hands, the ball just bounces right off his hands at least once every other game. One of Ramsey's greatest strengths is his "versatility" but if you don't have a creative DC who will move him around and take advantage of that versatility it goes to waste.

Hell, Sturm basically admitted that he thought William Jackson III, a guy who went in the 20's, was a better pure CB right now than Ramsey yet he's advocating taking him over a guy like Elliott who he admits has no weaknesses and who many think is the most impactful position player in the draft?

Elliott gives our offense a chance to have a historic running game, the type of attack that could carry an entire team, yet we are supposed to give that up for a DB who has 3 INT's in 3 years and who nobody is totally sure if he's a CB or S? For what, so our defense could go from a 5 to a 6?

I'd rather our offense go from an 8 to a 10.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
This is fucking stupid. If he is not Peterson he is a bust? Every RB taken since Peterson was drafted has not been as good as him.

All of our good to great teams have had a premier lead back...from Dorsett to Emmitt to Murray.

The 5 years 36 mil is a valid point, but last year they let Murray go because they did not want to sink a bunch more money into a RB with mileage. Ramsey has a chance to be an excellent player, but the last time a CB led his team to a Super Bowl win was...umm...never.
If funny how he says Elliot needs to be better than Peterson, but then assumes Ramsey will be as good as Polamalu, Reed or Woodson. Based on his college career I don't see it. But I do think Elliot can be an elite RB.

I think he does make a good point that we may have saved ourselves by not giving up both of our day 2 picks for Lynch. But then if Lynch becomes a top 10 QB it would've been worth it. But that is a big if, but we shall see.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
According to @PFF_College, Ohio State's Ezekiel Elliott didn’t allow a sack, hit or even a hurry on 103 pass blocking snaps.

I bet that's got to make Room happy.

Last edited:

shoop

Semi-contributing member
According to @PFF_College, Ohio State's Ezekiel Elliott didn’t allow a sack, hit or even a hurry on 103 pass blocking snaps.

I bet that's got to make Room happy.
To be fair they ran a lot of option and had a running qb most of the time he was there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Even the Jags who got that unworldly talent in Ramsey are in the process of trying to figure out what to do with him.

data

Forbes #1
Dumbfuck premise.

Even if Ezekiel Elliott is AP, if Derrick Henry also is Earl Campbell, he'd claim Elliott was a waste of a pick.

Bottom line, any #4 pick better be f'n awesome, regardless of position.

townsend

Banned
I think Ramsey has about as much of a chance of becoming an all time DB as Claiborne does.

Top Bottom