2016 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

townsend

Banned
Jaylon Smith a C.

lawl
I'd agree with that. Unless something wildly different happens from expectations, you've already lost a year from this guy's rookie contract. To me he seems like a bigger risk than Myles Jack, while Myles Jack was still on the board. If we were drafting at the bottom of the 2nd that's one thing, but this was the 34th pick in the draft, there was 1st round talent available with not nearly as many IFs attached.

D

Deuce

I'd agree with that. Unless something wildly different happens from expectations, you've already lost a year from this guy's rookie contract. To me he seems like a bigger risk than Myles Jack, while Myles Jack was still on the board. If we were drafting at the bottom of the 2nd that's one thing, but this was the 34th pick in the draft, there was 1st round talent available with not nearly as many IFs attached.
Even if we redshirt him, we have a consensus top 5 player at LB for 3 years and at the age of 21. By the time his 2nd contract rolls around, he'll just be entering his prime.

Want to dock his grade cause of the injury, fine. But if healthy, he's an A+. Dropping him over two full letter grades cause of a lost year is stupid. What will we say about Zeke if he tears his knee in TC? Ooops, wasted pick cause we only get him for 4 years now! Dumb.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jaylon is Myles Jack in reverse. Jaylon's knee when it is all healed up should be structurally perfect. It's just a question of how long it take for the nerve to heal itself. Myles Jack healthwise right now is probably as good as he will get and it's only going to get worse from here.

I'm not entirely ruling Jaylon out as a rookie. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but the knee physically is going to be good to go from my understanding. It's a question of the nerve which is a hard thing to project. The doctor is saying 3-4 months before it comes back but once it is it will take some time to probably strengthen it back up. I think there is at least a little possibility to pup him and get him out there before he has to be moved from PUP to IR.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Want to dock his grade cause of the injury, fine. But if healthy, he's an A+. Dropping him over two full letter grades cause of a lost year is stupid. What will we say about Zeke if he tears his knee in TC? Ooops, wasted pick cause we only get him for 4 years now! Dumb.
When people talk about contracts it's as though Jerry is going to let a 24 year old stud out the door to another team. Dude isn't going anywhere if he pans out. Just like Tyrone Smith, just like Dez and just like Romo. Jerry just doesn't let players like that walk out the door. And the NFL system is set up to help owners do that.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Why is everyone so worried about Romo? Once Goff and Wentz went off the board the chance of us getting a good qb prospect went out the window. If Tim Tebow can play in this league then Dak will be fine as a backup. If Romo were to get hurt we will lose every game and end up with another top 5 pick. No worries...

data

Forbes #1
With the way it shook out, I'd rather have Tapper/Dak then Cook/BPA.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
That KC "amateur" announcement was the best one yet. No stuttering, no babbling, quick, lucid and to the point.

data

Forbes #1
Even if we redshirt him, we have a consensus top 5 player at LB for 3 years and at the age of 21. By the time his 2nd contract rolls around, he'll just be entering his prime.

I don't know how anyone can grade this pick at this point. None of us know how severe the injury is.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That's my guess here. We all knew it. I'm fine with it this late.
That's kind of how I feel.I don't think Prescott is any good, But I would far rather Try to make Prescott work from the late fourth round, Then to waste a second and third on Lynch like they tried to do.

D

Deuce

I don't know how anyone can grade this pick at this point. None of us know how severe the injury is.
Agreed. Two days ago, we thought it was all doom and gloom for him. Then yesterday we heard it may be better than expected. The only people who truly have a grasp of the situation are the decision makers.

But if we just go off what type of player he is when healthy, he's a home run.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Oh, well... I didn't like the Prescott pick, but I'm over it. No point in continuing to cry about it. Can only hope now that I am wrong about him. Which wouldn't be much of a surprise, I guess. I've been wrong about players before.

Fuck you, Bobby Carpenter.

He's a Cowboy now. Here's to hoping he turns in to something. I am still happy with this draft overall. Hopefully Peake or Listenbee falls to us in the 6th, and we pull the trigger. Would also like Mills or Cash at safety.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is everyone so worried about Romo? Once Goff and Wentz went off the board the chance of us getting a good qb prospect went out the window. If Tim Tebow can play in this league then Dak will be fine as a backup. If Romo were to get hurt we will lose every game and end up with another top 5 pick. No worries...
I hope we stick with Dak and Kellen Moore as the backup QBs and honestly I think we will. My worst nightmare is probably giving up resources for a guy like Cassel who gives you the exact same results as Dak or Kellen Moore. We will live and die by Romo next year so lets just all hope Romo has a healthy year again.

The idea of Elliott though is that maybe we can have a running game that can carry this team if Romo does miss time ala Adrian Peterson just carrying the Vikings during some years of really bad QB play. Elliott isn't Adrian Peterson but Adrian Peterson never had our offensive line.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, well... I didn't like the Prescott pick, but I'm over it. No point in continuing to cry about it. Can only hope now that I am wrong about him. Which wouldn't be much of a surprise, I guess. I've been wrong about players before.

Fuck you, Bobby Carpenter.

He's a Cowboy now. Here's to hoping he turns in to something. I am still happy with this draft overall. Hopefully Peake or Listenbee falls to us in the 6th, and we pull the trigger. Would also like Mills or Cash at safety.
A QB in the late fourth is really just a lottery ticket anyway.

Cash would be really nice.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The idea of Elliott though is that maybe we can have a running game that can carry this team if Romo does miss time ala Adrian Peterson just carrying the Vikings during some years of really bad QB play. Elliott isn't Adrian Peterson but Adrian Peterson never had our offensive line.
I really like the prospects of our running game with Zeke behind this line. A chance to have a balanced offense, take pressure off the passing game and do some real damage. And if something happens to Romo again not having to solely rely on the arm of the backup QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom