2016 Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
300 carries and 1500 yards is what you should expect out of a RB you're taking 4th in the draft.
That would be perfect if there wasn't an investment in keeping the offense balanced and Morris and McFadden weren't already here.

With what we have in place it makes no sense to just pound Elliott.

This isn't the 2015 Rams or 2007 Vikings with Gurley/Peterson and a bunch of nobodies.

Morris and McFadden are a fantastic improvement over Joseph Randle, who was the only alternative to force-feeding DeMarco Murray in 2014. IMO you want everyone involved and used to their potential. It makes everyone better.

I absolutely do not want to see our Aston Martin run like a pickup.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That would be perfect if there wasn't an investment in keeping the offense balanced and Morris and McFadden weren't already here.

This isn't the 2015 Rams or 2007 Vikings with Gurley/Peterson and a bunch of nobodies.

Morris and McFadden are a fantastic improvement over Joseph Randle, who was the only alternative to force-feeding DeMarco Murray in 2014. IMO you want everyone involved and used to their potential. It makes everyone better.

An Aston Martin (Murray) is still an Aston Martin whether there is good backups or not. The reason Murray was worked so much wasn't about the backups, it was about not paying the price for an Aston Martin.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

300 carries isn't that much. Especially if we are trying to get back to that 50/50 run pass ration. Plus, even though McFadden and Morris are good, they aren't as good as Elliott, so you want to use them as little as possible without wearing out Elliott. It's not like Elliott isn't a 3 down RB.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
300 carries isn't that much. Especially if we are trying to get back to that 50/50 run pass ration. Plus, even though McFadden and Morris are good, they aren't as good as Elliott, so you want to use them as little as possible without wearing out Elliott. It's not like Elliott isn't a 3 down RB.
Keep it around 300 during the season so you can ride him into the playoffs.

Murray seemed to have lost some of his punch at the end of 2014 season.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
19 carries per game was about what Gurley averaged in St Louis' wins, which is about 300 carries.

And he was their #1 threat and most of their offense.

I think you can give 15 carries a game to Elliot, 10-15 carries to McFadden and Morris, and throw the ball to all three. 30 runs 30 passes is what we should strive towards, IMO.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
All weekend, I believe.
Yeah, just wondering why there were no stories up yet.

DC.com has some photos -- I've gotta say I actively hate Elliott wearing #21. It doesn't fit a star RB. That's Joseph Randle. It's Deion Sanders. It's Mike Jenkins.

It was like when Roy Williams picked 31 coming out of college, I didn't think that looked right on him either. Bad omen.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So much for Chris Whaley who we wasted a whole year on.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Did he ever even see practice time?
Good question. I don't think so. He certainly never sniffed action in a preseason game and got hurt.

He is like a less famous Amobi Okoye.

We tend to do that with Marinelli pets. We keep them around for a really really long while.

And I take it back about Whaley.

It was TWO years. He was in the 2014 draft class.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good question. I don't think so. He certainly never sniffed action in a preseason game and got hurt.

He is like a less famous Amobi Okoye.

We tend to do that with Marinelli pets. We keep them around for a really really long while.

And I take it back about Whaley.

It was TWO years. He was in the 2014 draft class.
I believe we picked him up as an injured guy, redshirted him and then he promptly got injured and put on IR again. I'm guessing we sort of had to keep him last year due to the injury. Obviously we weren't hanging on to him for the future.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I believe we picked him up as an injured guy, redshirted him and then he promptly got injured and put on IR again. I'm guessing we sort of had to keep him last year due to the injury. Obviously we weren't hanging on to him for the future.
Another glass warrior.

D

Deuce

An Aston Martin (Murray) is still an Aston Martin whether there is good backups or not. The reason Murray was worked so much wasn't about the backups, it was about not paying the price for an Aston Martin.
That's a lot of Aston Martin references for a guy who had 1 great year and followed it up with a historically horrible egg the next season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No, you don't let injured players hang around this long unless there is something to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom