2016 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the way, it's kind of a shame that we don't need a RB. You can't really bank on these types of things so it's obviously total hindsight. But if we had waited until now to take a RB we literally have our choice of:

Jordan Howard
Devontae Booker
Kenneth Dixon
Paul Perkins
Alex Collins

Some NFL team in my opinion is going to get a really good starting RB on this third day.

Even though I like that they are only 20, the Cowboys are so predictable. Every year they have a certain criteria of what they want to do and it changes year to year. A few years back it was character guys, then backups, two tight ends for certain packages, now 20 year olds, etc.. They never have a set plan they just try and mimick what other teams do.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Even though I like that they are only 20, the Cowboys are so predictable. Every year they have a certain criteria of what they want to do and it changes year to year. A few years back it was character guys, then backups, two tight ends for certain packages, now 20 year olds, etc.. They never have a set plan they just try and mimick what other teams do.
So, you think they're copying somebody by taking young guys?

:lol

If you're just looking for something to cry about, at least put forth some effort. Did you happen to see that Dodd was one of their targets before taking Smith? He'll be 24 when the season starts.

So, you think they're copying somebody by taking young guys?

:lol

If you're just looking for something to cry about, at least put forth some effort. Did you happen to see that Dodd was one of their targets before taking Smith? He'll be 24 when the season starts.
Nope I like it, I'm not complaining about getting 20 year olds. I just think it's funny how they plan things, which really is a dart board on the wall with names on it.

Stars

DCC 4Life
I want Driskell in the 6th... Is that stupid or crazy or both? :unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want Driskell in the 6th... Is that stupid or crazy or both? :unsure
Eh, he isn't my choice but I see the appeal. He is a hell of an athlete. I just think he is a shitty player. He couldn't throw for a lick at Florida with top talent around him. Some guys just have the deer in a headlights looks about them at all times. He is one of those QBs.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd prefer Prescott in the sixth to Driskell in the sixth though.
Well, yeah. I could stomach Prescott in the 6th, but word is we're interested in him with one of our 4ths. I just really, really hope it's not with the first one. Maybe someone will save us before the 2nd one comes up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, yeah. I could stomach Prescott in the 6th, but word is we're interested in him with one of our 4ths. I just really, really hope it's not with the first one. Maybe someone will save us before the 2nd one comes up.
Yeah I'm just glad we didn't take him in the second or third at this point. I'm convinced we really like Prescott. He has some appeal as a career backup because of his attitude and character (DWI aside) and his ability to improvise but in no way is he a long term starting prospect. Just doesn't have the arm for it. I do like the idea of an athletic backup QB though. Basically catch a defense off guard with a guy who does things your starter doesn't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
At this point I don't mind taking Cook. Didn't like him in the 2nd/3rd, but he's probably instantly a quality backup.
I love Cook at this point. I get the attitude stuff but to me he is AJ McCarron at this point. Someone who has all the tools to come into a game and win. A guy that is actually capable of executing an NFL offense. Plus Cook was a predraft visit. I also saw on either NFL Network or ESPN this morning where Garrett basically said that just because we passed on him in the second and third round doesn't mean we aren't interested.

Yeah I'm just glad we didn't take him in the second or third at this point. I'm convinced we really like Prescott. He has some appeal as a career backup because of his attitude and character (DWI aside) and his ability to improvise but in no way is he a long term starting prospect. Just doesn't have the arm for it. I do like the idea of an athletic backup QB though. Basically catch a defense off guard with a guy who does things your starter doesn't.
I don't get it though, why would you go into a draft picking players to be backups? If Prescott will never be a starter then why pick him? If Connor Cook is starter material then that's who I would pick. I don't care if he is an asshole, this team probably needs a QB like that anyway. I don't get why any team would go into a draft and not pick players that would be starters and then then let the best fight it out to be the starter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't get it though, why would you go into a draft picking players to be backups? If Prescott will never be a starter then why pick him? If Connor Cook is starter material then that's who I would pick. I don't care if he is an asshole, this team probably needs a QB like that anyway. I don't get why any team would go into a draft and not pick players that would be starters and then then let the best fight it out to be the starter.
I guess because some dumb ass franchises think they can fix a guys poor throwing ability. Or that they can design an offense around his strengths and minimize his lack of ability to complete passes from inside the pocket. It's also sort of the same concept of a team drafting a return man, blocking TE, receiving back. I don't agree with doing that at all but NFL teams love using picks at this point for niche' players.

By the way, pull up a highlight video of Dak and you'll see almost all running plays. Or him throwing a lollipop deep pass to a guy running wide open because of some crazy play action stuff. Just looks so much like Tim Tebow running that Tim Tebow offense.

Last edited:
I guess because some dumb ass franchises think they can fix a guys poor throwing ability. Or that they can design an offense around his strengths and minimize his lack of ability to complete passes from inside the pocket. It's also sort of the same concept of a team drafting a return man, blocking TE, receiving back. I don't agree with doing that at all but NFL teams love using picks at this point for niche' players.
Yeah I agree, it just seems stupid to me. Draft players that are starters or can be starters and let the best player win. It doesn't seem that hard to figure that if you just draft backups then your team will never get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom