2016 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We have to hit a homer and perhaps at least a double in these next two rounds.

Get a pass rusher and either a WR, CB or S and I am good.

I don't want a QB in these rounds, at all.
That's the ticket. In my view there isn't a QB remaining I would take earlier than the 4th round now.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Ravens tried for No. 4 pick; Jalen Ramsey the target?
By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer

After the top two picks in Thursday night's draft, the Ravens knew the Chargers would select Joey Bosa and the Cowboys were listening to offers for the No. 4 overall pick.

"San Diego is taking Bosa," assistant general manager Eric DeCosta announced in Baltimore's war room. "Bosa was on the phone for two hours on Tuesday night with (Chargers Owner) Dean Spanos."

At that point, per vice president of public and community relations Kevin Byrne, Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome called the Cowboys with a proposal for the fourth pick.

When Dallas countered, Newsome replied, "No, we won't go there."

Who was Newsome's target? According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun, it was Florida State cornerback Jalen Ramsey, who went one pick later to the Jaguars.

Under Newsome, the Ravens' draft philosophy has been to target the best available player. Ramsey was obviously high on their board.

Unable to land Ramsey, Newsome ended up staying put and selecting Notre Dame left tackle Ronnie Stanley.

"We value our board," Newsome told reporters later in the evening, "and he was the highest player on our board when we picked."

Higher even than Laremy Tunsil, who slid after an unauthorized video -- showing the Ole Miss tackle wearing a gas mask and smoking through a bong -- was posted to his Twitter account.

Newsome promptly brought the video to the attention of owner Steve Bisciotti, as the two men worked under a large draft-room sign that reads, "The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior."

Asked if the video was a factor in Baltimore's decision, Newsome responded, "That's always a part anytime you get information. Our scouts get a lot of information. When things happen, a lot of times we're not surprised."

Ultimately, the Ravens stayed true to a board that had Stanley ranked among the top four players, per ESPN's Jamison Hensley.

"I want to place my red star on one of the top players on our board," pro personnel director Vincent Newsome told Byrne after the draft. "I look for the cleanest player among the best of the best. Ronnie is that. He has all the skills and physical attributes to be an outstanding NFL player. He kept improving at Notre Dame. He's a good person, and there are no blemishes in his history. He's what we want a Raven to be. That's why he earned my star."
That stupid Ozzie doesn't he know trading up for a no int guy like Ramsey is a fools game.:lol

I never thought they were trading up for Elliott and I am still wondering why Dallas did not move down
I guess they were scared somebody could move up with Jacksonville if Ramsey was gone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That stupid Ozzie doesn't he know trading up for a no int guy like Ramsey is a fools game.:lol

I never thought they were trading up for Elliott and I am still wondering why Dallas did not move down
I guess they were scared somebody could move up with Jacksonville if Ramsey was gone.
I just think it's funny that Jerry felt the need to say the Ravens wanted Elliott at 4 in order to somehow validate where he took him if in reality the Ravens wanted Ramsey which is what my initial assumption was.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Dallas doesn't think that way. They look at it as if they are "set" at WOLB and MLB.

Not a good thing when they have to shuffle people around and deal with difficult players like McClain.

I get how that could be a 2017 idea, but we don't operate in that kind of world.
You keep saying that but we trained all of our LB's to play multiple positions just like we moved Jones around and could have done the same with Ramsey.

Your argument continues to be merit less a talent like Jack forces his way on the field, hell he could even play SOLB over what we currently have.

That would free us up to stay in base a lot more, he is already probably a better cover than Church.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I just think it's funny that Jerry felt the need to say the Ravens wanted Elliott at 4 in order to somehow validate where he took him if in reality the Ravens wanted Ramsey which is what my initial assumption was.
Did he actually say that or did it get lost in translation.

That has been happening a lot with Jerry lately.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You keep saying that but we trained all of our LB's to play multiple positions just like we moved Jones around and could have done the same with Ramsey.

Your argument continues to be merit less a talent like Jack forces his way on the field, hell he could even play SOLB over what we currently have.

That would free us up to stay in base a lot more, he is already probably a better cover than Church.
:lol

Since when do we allow players to "force" their way into playing?

If there is not a free and clear spot, they work their way in, especially with 2nd and 3rd rounders.

We wouldn't trust Jack any more than we did Gregory.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Silly argument against Jack. He's a dynamic talent, he will force his way into the lineup over McClain no question.

Health is Jack's only question mark at 34.

Landry

DCC 4Life
Silly argument against Jack. He's a dynamic talent, he will force his way into the lineup over McClain no question.

Health is Jack's only question mark at 34.
After Lee and Spencer and Johnson and Carter, no more.

Jiggyfly

Banned
:lol

Since when do we allow players to "force" their way into playing?

If there is not a free and clear spot, they work their way in, especially with 2nd and 3rd rounders.

We wouldn't trust Jack any more than we did Gregory.
When have we had someone with the talent of Jack and who exactly is keeping him on the bench?

Gregory was getting playing time before he got hurt so I don't know where you are getting that from it was his weight stopping him more than anything else.

And that still leaves out the fact tha we crosstrain all of our LB's so why can't Jack play the strong side until Lee gets hurt again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom