Hairopoulos: Drafting Romo's successor may not be a priority for Jerry Jones now

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If he sticks to that line of thinking, maybe he will in fact draft a QB every year (Ron Wolf method) and hopefully hit on one between now and then
Wolf's approach was more myth than truth. Because he drafted/traded away two QB's (Brooks and Brunnell) people came away with the impression that he drafted them every year.

That doesn't happen any more, at least not for more than you drafted a guy for. The Pats just traded Ryan Mallett for a conditional 6th after drafting him with a 3rd and never playing him. Kirk Cousins was a 4th round pick, and the jury's still out on whether he's anything special. The team that drafted him doesn't think he's good enough to pay him real QB money.

I think you draft a QB after the 3rd round for injury depth.

Rounds 1-3 is where you'll find your future starter, but once you draft him you need to play him asap to get him reps or your investment stales.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Better to just draft a guy and start over from scratch.
And if we had a guy last year we would have had like 12 games already under his belt. Just because Brady rarely gets hurt doesn't seem to apply to Romo.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And if we had a guy last year we would have had like 12 games already under his belt. Just because Brady rarely gets hurt doesn't seem to apply to Romo.
You have to ask yourself how often is your QB going to miss the entire year? Romo is one extreme and Brady another, and the answer lies closer to Brady IMO. Most QB's don't miss more than a couple of games.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to ask yourself how often is your QB going to miss the entire year? Romo is one extreme and Brady another, and the answer lies closer to Brady IMO. Most QB's don't miss more than a couple of games.
And most QBs don't play until they are 40. The percentage of QBs still in the NFL at 40 is probably absolutely tiny. So statistically speaking Romo is ready to retire.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And most QBs don't play until they are 40. The percentage of QBs still in the NFL at 40 is probably absolutely tiny. So statistically speaking Romo is ready to retire.
Basically it's a gamble, but you are assured of a new player warming the bench for a lot of games. Romo could well play through age 38, which is three full years. Should Romo remain healthy, a 2nd round pick we draft this year would have one year of play before his rookie contract runs out-- like Osweiler.

I don't fear Romo's collarbone like some do. Eli Manning is one year younger, and he'll likely play through 40 like Brady probably will. The Giants don't seem concerned about Eli missing time.

Aikman's back and concussions forced him out at 34 as did Manning's neck after age 39. Elway had the crap beaten out of him and still retired at 38. Concussions drove Staubach out at 37.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basically it's a gamble, but you are assured of a new player warming the bench for a lot of games. Romo could well play through age 38, which is three full years. Should Romo remain healthy, a 2nd round pick we draft this year would have one year of play before his rookie contract runs out-- like Osweiler.

I don't fear Romo's collarbone like some do. Eli Manning is one year younger, and he'll likely play through 40 like Brady probably will. The Giants don't seem concerned about Eli missing time.

Aikman's back and concussions forced him out at 34 as did Manning's neck after age 39. Elway had the crap beaten out of him and still retired at 38. Concussions drove Staubach out at 37.
So you agree, a rookie draft pick would be starting for at least a year or more in Dallas if we picked one this year. That's plenty of time to analyze a QB. And if Romo's back, ribs, collarbone knock him out sooner then that (They will) then we have a QB in place to succeed.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So you agree, a rookie draft pick would be starting for at least a year or more in Dallas if we picked one this year. That's plenty of time to analyze a QB. And if Romo's back, ribs, collarbone knock him out sooner then that (They will) then we have a QB in place to succeed.
I think that's maybe enough time. You usually want to see at least a couple of years. I think sample size hurt Osweilers chances in Denver. Then again, what if Romo behind his all-timer OL and handing off to Elliott shows no signs of slowing down and decides to play at age 39? What do you do then?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then again, what if Romo behind his all-timer OL and handing off to Elliott shows no signs of slowing down and decides to play at age 39? What do you do then?
Thank the gods that you have a franchise QB for the next 4 years and basically pulled off the impossible? That would be like hitting the lottery? Would you bitch about losing $1,000.00 if you just hit the lottery? Of course not.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
Totally!

When your QB is hurt more often than healthy, it might be a good idea to seriously look for your future franchise QB.

Hard to compare Brady's situation... Rivers.. Or any other for that matter.

You can take the draft when ready approach behind those guys because those guys always play.

Romo is always hurt so at least when he misses his standard multiple games, you can avoid the fruitless Brandon Weedon's, Matt Cassell's and Kellen Moore's and begin to see what you have developing behind Romo as a potential legit successor during his next long term injury and when he retires.

Hell? Maybe the guy turns out to be good within 2 years and we move on from the "injured more than healthy" constantly broken 38 year old QB.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Thank the gods that you have a franchise QB for the next 4 years and basically pulled off the impossible? That would be like hitting the lottery? Would you bitch about losing $1,000.00 if you just hit the lottery? Of course not.
A 2nd round pick is an expensive insurance policy, but that's as high as I'd go.

data

Forbes #1
Last name is really Hairopoulos. Thought that was a nickname for Mel Kiper.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Wolf's approach was more myth than truth. Because he drafted/traded away two QB's (Brooks and Brunnell) people came away with the impression that he drafted them every year.

That doesn't happen any more, at least not for more than you drafted a guy for. The Pats just traded Ryan Mallett for a conditional 6th after drafting him with a 3rd and never playing him. Kirk Cousins was a 4th round pick, and the jury's still out on whether he's anything special. The team that drafted him doesn't think he's good enough to pay him real QB money.

I think you draft a QB after the 3rd round for injury depth.

Rounds 1-3 is where you'll find your future starter, but once you draft him you need to play him asap to get him reps or your investment stales.
You forgot Hasselbeck.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I am simply less optimistic concerning Romo's health than you are. Between his back, crepe paper collar bone, and age, I honestly would be surprised if he plays a single full season in the next three. If we identified a guy we thought was capable of starting and got him spot duty and one year of play to decide whether or not to pull the trigger, I don't know that we could ask for a better scenerio.

Well no, because Eli is third all time in consecutive starts. He hasn't missed a game since 2004. Rivers is next on that list, not having missed a game since 2006. Romo simply does not have anything approaching that durability.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am simply less optimistic concerning Romo's health than you are. Between his back, crepe paper collar bone, and age, I honestly would be surprised if he plays a single full season in the next three. If we identified a guy we thought was capable of starting and got him spot duty and one year of play to decide whether or not to pull the trigger, I don't know that we could ask for a better scenerio.
Break a collar bone once and it's a fluke. Break that same collarbone twice and it's a big concern. Break that same collarbone 3 times and you should be in full on panic mode. His back, ribs and everything else should be concerning all on there own but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if this year is Romo's last. If he breaks that collarbone a fourth time we should give up on him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You forgot Hasselbeck.
Good catch.

My main point is "every year" is and always was a serious exaggeration.

Wolf's era was a boom time for the WCO, and you could train decent athletes to become very good QB's in a short time behind that system.

Kiffen's defense and a trend to more athletic linebackers put an end to all of that.

Nowadays QB's are no longer investments to make draft picks on. They are backups and future starters just like any other position.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If he breaks that collarbone a fourth time we should give up on him.
Probably so, though I think he should have had the Mumford procedure back in 2010 when he first broke it. That might have prevented the 2015 fiasco from happening at all.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I'm so glad that we learned so much from life after Aikman.

Top Bottom