Garrett On Ramsey...

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Shefter this morning said he believes Dallas will take Ramsey if there, if not then Elliot. Fwiw.
I listened to the most recent episodes of Cowboys Break and The Draft Show on my flight home last night and that was what Broaddus was saying also. Definitely a FWIW when mentioning anything Broaddus says but I definitely believe it in this particular instance.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The thing I'm most disappointed about is it seems trading down is not a possibility.

I'm still not convinced that we'd consider a RB in the first couple of rounds but there does seem to be some smoke around it so who knows.

I think Ramsey will be pretty good, but like most of these players I don't think he'll be elite.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
I hope to God San Diego takes Ramsey.

I'm local here in San Diego and I've been following on sports radio and the beat writer's Twitter etc...

All signs are are pointing to Tunsil or Buckner.

Hell... I hardly even hear Ramsey's name being mentioned.

The defensive guy that the Chargers love is Buckner according to the beat writers.

It's like Bosa with Dallas, many assume he's out.

Same thing going on here with Ramsey. I hope it's a smokescreen or whatever.

If Dallas doesn't get Zeke... And the Giants do???

I'm seriously going to be physically ill.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

I'm local here in San Diego and I've been following on sports radio and the beat writer's Twitter etc...

The defensive guy that the Chargers love is Buckner according to the beat writers.

You better keep a bucket nearby during the draft then.

Genghis Khan

They are talking Jack or another LB to the Giants.

Of course, most of this stuff turns out wrong every year so we'll see.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

I thought David Moore said they haven't even brought him in for a visit?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing I'm most disappointed about is it seems trading down is not a possibility.

I'm still not convinced that we'd consider a RB in the first couple of rounds but there does seem to be some smoke around it so who knows.

I think Ramsey will be pretty good, but like most of these players I don't think he'll be elite.
Why don't you think trading is a possibility? I watched that news conference the other day and even though Jerry started it by saying he is likely taking a player at 4, the entire time he kind of hinted that he is open to offers. Really just sounded like Jerry's usual song and dance of showing people just how AWESOME the fourth pick is and how it's worth a lot in a trade.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's going to be Ramsey.

At this point I just hope we use him properly and don't just line him up at CB and ask him to cover a narrow tract of the field all game. This guy is most valuable when you use his versatility, especially in conjunction with Jones. I would play him at SS the majority of the time since he is very physical and reacts very quickly when he sees things going downhill, he's a very good blitzer and tackler but of course he has the athleticism to play deep coverage.

I say I'd play him as a SS because I'd generally want him to be closer to the LOS while Jones is further back but I would alternate the two of them and use their versatility to disguise coverages. Both of them can cover TE's and guys out of the slot, and both can cover 1 on 1 outside at times, use that versatility to disguise coverages and confuse QB's.

Ramsey is at his best when attacking downhill/reacting to what is in front of him, so let him do that as more of a "box" safety with the ability to move him around and drop him into deep coverage while rolling Jones up to cover a TE 1 on 1 at times for example.

The guy is not going to bust like Claiborne because he is way too aggressive/competitive, Claiborne has a meek nature about him and isn't physical, which have been two of his biggest downfalls. I just don't know if we're going to use him right and even if we do I am not confident enough in his ball skills to take him at 4, but all we can do is hope to make the best of the situation.

Genghis Khan

Why don't you think trading is a possibility? I watched that news conference the other day and even though Jerry started it by saying he is likely taking a player at 4, the entire time he kind of hinted that he is open to offers. Really just sounded like Jerry's usual song and dance of showing people just how AWESOME the fourth pick is and how it's worth a lot in a trade.

I said that based on the reporters I hear talking about the Dallas pick never mention a trade down as a possibility. Obviously that's not the be all end all, but in contrast the Titans and Browns were both known to be shopping their picks.

I don't think there's any interest now that the QBs aren't a possibility at 4. I can't remember who, but one of the reporters was saying the phones have been pretty silent in the top 5 since the eagles moved up.

I know if I was another team there wouldn't be any player at 4 I'd be worried about missing out on.

I heard the other day Mcshay had 2 elite players in last year's draft - Winston and Williams. This year he has none graded as elite. I think probably most teams feel similarly. Which means there isn't enough drop off from the top players in this draft to the next tier to justify giving up assets in a trade up.

I could be wrong but I'd be surprised.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's going to be Ramsey.

At this point I just hope we use him properly and don't just line him up at CB and ask him to cover a narrow tract of the field all game. This guy is most valuable when you use his versatility, especially in conjunction with Jones. I would play him at SS the majority of the time since he is very physical and reacts very quickly when he sees things going downhill, he's a very good blitzer and tackler but of course he has the athleticism to play deep coverage.

I say I'd play him as a SS because I'd generally want him to be closer to the LOS while Jones is further back but I would alternate the two of them and use their versatility to disguise coverages. Both of them can cover TE's and guys out of the slot, and both can cover 1 on 1 outside at times, use that versatility to disguise coverages and confuse QB's.

Ramsey is at his best when attacking downhill/reacting to what is in front of him, so let him do that as more of a "box" safety with the ability to move him around and drop him into deep coverage while rolling Jones up to cover a TE 1 on 1 at times for example.

The guy is not going to bust like Claiborne because he is way too aggressive/competitive, Claiborne has a meek nature about him and isn't physical, which have been two of his biggest downfalls. I just don't know if we're going to use him right and even if we do I am not confident enough in his ball skills to take him at 4, but all we can do is hope to make the best of the situation.
I'm not 100% convinced that we will take Ramsey at 4 but using Legal Terms I would say it is more probable then not.

And I agree with you, baring unforeseeable injuries, I don't think Ramsey is a Claiborne level bust. Just too big, athletic and competitive like you mentioned. But I also can't see him being an Earl Thomas level safety or a Patrick Peterson level corner. I know Patrick Peterson is the corner comparison he gets. I honestly think I use him as a press cover corner. Claiborne is on a 1 year deal. Carr is on the last year of his deal. So long term you are looking at Ramsey filling a big need at corner a year down the road. And I think Ramsey would really beat WR's up playing press. You can use him on corner blitzes like FSU did. It keeps him up near the line of scrimmage where he operates best.

And doing all that leaves Jones in his current role as a nickle LBer/safety type of goes around covering teams top TEs around.

Of course this is Church's last year on his contract so maybe you are right.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I said that based on the reporters I hear talking about the Dallas pick never mention a trade down as a possibility. Obviously that's not the be all end all, but in contrast the Titans and Browns were both known to be shopping their picks.

I don't think there's any interest now that the QBs aren't a possibility at 4. I can't remember who, but one of the reporters was saying the phones have been pretty silent in the top 5 since the eagles moved up.
Makes sense. I'm watching ESPN right now and they were just talking about how the Cowboys may be pumping up Jalen Ramsey to try and drum up a trade. Seems crazy to me that Jerry would be talking him up so much publicly if he was intending to take Ramsey at 4 but Jerry isn't always the most tight lipped guy.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
It's going to be Ramsey.

I heard an analyst say last night:

"Here Dallas has built this uniquely talented offensive line, how could they not put a running back like Ezekiel Elliott behind it? It seems that's what you're building for?"

Read a couple articles comparing Zeke to Adrian Peterson as a talent. Others say Jammal Charles or Leshaun McCoy

"The most sophisticated running back prospect we've seen since Adrian Peterson"

But yet again??? The choice will be another DB????

Hell, Dallas is getting Scandrick back after a year away. It's like starting over with your best DB back in the fold?

Leave Ramsey alone!!

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

"Here Dallas has built this uniquely talented offensive line, how could they not put a running back like Ezekiel Elliott behind it? It seems that's what you're building for?"

Read a couple articles comparing Zeke to Adrian Peterson as a talent. Others say Jammal Charles or Leshaun McCoy

Hell, Dallas is getting Scandrick back after a year away. It's like starting over with your best DB back in the fold?

Leave Ramsey alone!!
Yea I want Elliott but these fucktards are going to take Ramsey.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not 100% convinced that we will take Ramsey at 4 but using Legal Terms I would say it is more probable then not.

And I agree with you, baring unforeseeable injuries, I don't think Ramsey is a Claiborne level bust. Just too big, athletic and competitive like you mentioned. But I also can't see him being an Earl Thomas level safety or a Patrick Peterson level corner. I know Patrick Peterson is the corner comparison he gets. I honestly think I use him as a press cover corner. Claiborne is on a 1 year deal. Carr is on the last year of his deal. So long term you are looking at Ramsey filling a big need at corner a year down the road. And I think Ramsey would really beat WR's up playing press. You can use him on corner blitzes like FSU did. It keeps him up near the line of scrimmage where he operates best.

And doing all that leaves Jones in his current role as a nickle LBer/safety type of goes around covering teams top TEs around.

Of course this is Church's last year on his contract so maybe you are right.
Hard to say, I just see him making more plays (batted balls, sacks, FF's, INT's) if he is allowed to roam around in the box as opposed to just running stride for stride with WR's down the sideline all game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The reason you build an O-line that can create holes that anyone can run through, is so that anyone can run through them. Seems a bit backwards to think you should spend a top 5 draft choice on someone to run through those big holes. I'm sure a year or two from now no one would bitch about the Elliott pick as he is running for 1200+ yards every year but oddly enough that doesn't necessarily mean it was a good pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hard to say, I just see him making more plays (batted balls, sacks, FF's, INT's) if he is allowed to roam around in the box as opposed to just running stride for stride with WR's down the sideline all game.
Yeah, I just don't like the way he breaks on balls. So I think roaming around isn't going to do him much good in terms of INT's and batted balls. Basically the instincts just have no shown up to this point for me to feel good about that. Plus, that's basically what we are doing with Jones now.

Carp

DCC 4Life

Leave Ramsey alone!!
I like Elliot, but he is not on par with Peterson or any of the other backs mentioned. He sure as shit is not as good as Gurley. I see a slightly more athletic Mark Ingram.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Elliot, but he is not on par with Peterson or any of the other backs mentioned. He sure as shit is not as good as Gurley. I see a slightly more athletic Mark Ingram.
If I was predicting the next Peterson it would be Fournette in next years draft. The talk about Elliott as the best back since Peterson just seems wrong to me. And I wonder how many times that gets said for the top back. I'm sure Richardson was the best back since Peterson too when he went high. Or Ryan Matthews, CJ Spiller, Knowshon Moreno, Darren McFadden and Jonathan Stewart.

I was always worried about Gurley's injury history but as a pure runner I think he was clearly better then Elliott.

Top Bottom