Trading up for Cook or Hackenberg

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we indeed move up to the 20-25 range for one of these two it will typify the stupidity of this organization. They could have easily made the early evaluation that either Goff or Wentz are legit top 5-10 prospects and been aggressive about moving up, where the cost back in late February or March may have been much cheaper, or if that didn't work out they could've said screw it in terms of a QB early and moved on with the draft by improving the defense and giving Romo more weapons. Hell, they could just trade down from 4 and take Lynch or if he is gone and they feel like they must, Cook or Hackenberg, while stockpiling more resources.

But no, because these geniuses have finally been slapped in the face with the reality of our QB situation they are going to force something and throw good resources after bad to take marginal QB prospects with very obvious flaws, and also just because they HAVE to have this boffo DB prospect with 3 career INT's. If they give up a 3rd this year and say a 3rd next year to move up to take Cook or Hackenberg, and then probably waste a few years developing one of them while ignoring other 1st round QB prospects, it will likely set the organization back years.

Both of these guys have tools so maybe with 3 years on the bench to learn they will end up decent QB's, but it's just as likely that they don't, maybe more so, and at the end of the day we're left with sinking a bunch of resources just to reach for a QB because they got desperate.

Really speaks to the short shortsightedness of this organization. The proper move now would be to go all in for the last blue chip QB in Lynch if he's available in the 15-25 range or just ignore QB until the 4th or later, looking for only a decent developmental prospect who could become a good backup like Brandon Allen. Then you cross your fingers Romo stays healthy this year and you look hard again at QB's next year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Short-sighted is the best description.

They want to make the most of Romo's window, so they draft Ramsey (figure that one out) and make sure Romo has a quality backup for the next five years.

Because drafting DBs and backups has worked so well for us in the past.

/quick Jerry head nod
/Garrett puppet wink

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Schefter just tweeted that he may make it out of the first unless Dallas trades back in.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Schefter is saying he may slip all the way out of first unless Dallas trades back in. Unless he is getting bad info and his contacts are not being truthful with him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I doubt it but who knows. Some people on here posted stuff today that suggests maybe Lynch won't be going top 10 if first at all.
I am one of them. Lynch could slide way down if a run for linemen starts early in the first round.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I doubt Denver would let Lynch slide out of the 1st.

dallen

Senior Tech
I do too. I wouldn't bet on it if I were Jerry. If we think Lynch is they guy we need to jump Denver.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Lynch will still be there at those spots, no?
Who the heck knows at this point, if he is I'd be more than happy to trade up for him though. I think he could end up better than Goff or Wentz given enough time to learn/develop. My only concern would be that our coaching staff aren't exactly savants when it comes to developing young QB's but that's the risk you run. Garrett may be gone after this year anyway.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Who the heck knows at this point, if he is I'd be more than happy to trade up for him though. I think he could end up better than Goff or Wentz given enough time to learn/develop. My only concern would be that our coaching staff aren't exactly savants when it comes to developing young QB's but that's the risk you run. Garrett may be gone after this year anyway.
Good points

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do too. I wouldn't bet on it if I were Jerry. If we think Lynch is they guy we need to jump Denver.
If we get Lynch it's just going to have to be one of those pure luck things like Gregory last year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He might stay in the first round but crazier things happened. As I was saying earlier I think he will slide out of the Top 10 and may go to 24 or so.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
With Lynch I'd be happy to trade up a little and get a fifth year in all honesty. When you're talking about a position like QB, you're assuming he is starting by year four or five. The going rate for a starting QB by then will be astronomical. So on that fifth year you can either have Lynch at a low rate as your starter or you can have him on a monster extension getting 30 mil a year if he pans out. I'll take the fifth year option please.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If the team brass identifies a QB who they feel can develop behind Romo, then do it. We have needed to do that for years.

Not buying that the team should have taken action in Feb/Mar...if you just go back a couple months, Goff was in the mid teens and Wentz was in the 40s in terms of ranking. They were late risers.

No one was really trying to move up, but at the beginning of Apr the Cowboys were among a few teams trying to move up...then when the Rams paid out their ass, teams lost interest.

Also, one rumor has the Cowboys trying to move up for Lawson after taking Elliott with the 4th pick.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Also, one rumor has the Cowboys trying to move up for Lawson after taking Elliott with the 4th pick.
Isn't he projected as a mid-1st rounder by most sources? Seems like a long ways to go unless he falls quite a bit.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
If the team brass identifies a QB who they feel can develop behind Romo, then do it. We have needed to do that for years.

Not buying that the team should have taken action in Feb/Mar...if you just go back a couple months, Goff was in the mid teens and Wentz was in the 40s in terms of ranking. They were late risers.

No one was really trying to move up, but at the beginning of Apr the Cowboys were among a few teams trying to move up...then when the Rams paid out their ass, teams lost interest.

dont understand moving up for Lawson. Plenty of good DEs will be there with our 2nd rounder

Move up for Lynch or a DT, or nothing at all

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
Yep...no way he slides past Denver. In fact-- Denver may be looking to move up a bit to make sure they get him.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Denver won't draft Lynch. Bradie Bottle Lock. It doesn't even make sense for them.

Top Bottom