DMN: Dak Prescott's one-word trick to avoid throwing picks

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dak Prescott's one-word trick to avoid throwing picks
By SportsDayDFW.com

Teams waited and waited for Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott to make his first big mistake during his rookie season.

And it took an NFL-record 177 pass attempts before Prescott finally gave up his first career interception. And he's only have three more on the year.

So what was his secret behind avoiding the biggest oops behind center? Prescott revealed it in an interview with SiriusXM's Talk of Fame Network. And it's as simple as one word.
"Prepare," Prescott said.

"And I think that's the greatest thing I can do and continue to get better at. By just knowing what the defense is going to give me, knowing my plays in and out, knowing where my checkdowns are, being able to get through my progressions fast all falls back on the preparation. And knowing when to take your chances -- knowing when the reward is worth the risk. And I give credit to [Mississippi State] coach Dan Mullen on teaching me that.

"And also kind of my mom putting that in the back in my head how much she hated interceptions. That allowed me to kind of be smart with the ball."

In explaining how he experienced very few hiccups in his first season in the NFL, Prescott again credited Mullen for preparing him.

"I give credit every chance I get to my college coach Dan Mullen for getting me prepared for the NFL mentally and teaching me the game of football," he said. "Not just teaching me spread offense, but teaching me defenses, teaching me all sorts of offenses so when I had the chance to put it on display here in the NFL that I knew a bunch of things. And I think that's something people may have missed in the draft, my knowledge of the game.

And he says the benefit of great coaching has continued in the pros.

"I had great coaches [with the Cowboys]: Coach [Jason] Garrett, Coach [Scott] Linehan and Coach [Wade] Wilson. Mark Sanchez, Tony [Romo], Kellen Moore, they all did a great job of preparing me week in week out of what I'm going to see and throughout the game as well as things came up. That allowed me just to play smooth and trust in my preparation."

So with all the great preparation Dak came in with, what was the hardest part of adjusting to the NFL?

"I'd say just the terminology," Prescott said. "For Mississippi State, for the most part -- my two years anyway -- we were spread, no-huddle. So I had to go back to my freshman and sophomore years when we huddled up when I got here. To me that was the biggest thing of being able to take those long plays and then spit them out to the team, to my huddle. And I just had again great coaching that allowed me to get the script and get the whole gameplan Monday and Tuesday, so I had plenty of time to practice where Sunday plays, you give me the personnel and the plays just roll off my tongue. But it was tough at first."

midswat

... soon
It's amazing how he always knows exactly what to say. He's either a kiss ass phony or he has amazing PR advisors.

Always felt that way about McNabb, and I grew to despise him. I'll probably end up feeling the same way about this guy too.

Cotton

Staff member
It's amazing how he always knows exactly what to say. He's either a kiss ass phony or he has amazing PR advisors.

Always felt that way about McNabb, and I grew to despise him. I'll probably end up feeling the same way about this guy too.
You will not. You will love him and cherish him and want to keep him forever.

data

Forbes #1
He's out-Russelling Russell Wilson. If Dak gets a Mach 5 commercial, he's dead to [MENTION=10]Carp[/MENTION].

data

Forbes #1

maybe it's Cowboys bias, but McNabb seemed fake from the get. I think it's different with Dak.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He has a degree in psychology or some such, I don't think he's a phony but he definitely know how he is supposed to come off and does all he can to stem any kind of negativity or distraction.

A phony would say these things and not put the work in or not mean any of it, that's not the case with him.

His demeanor is exactly what is needed out of a Cowboys QB with all the BS and sideshows that go along with it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
maybe it's Cowboys bias, but McNabb seemed fake from the get. I think it's different with Dak.
McNabb is very fake. And he bristled at any hint of criticism.

It's funny, because most eagles fans consider him their best QB ever. Probably their best era. Yet a very large percentage of their fans don't really like him.

Cotton

Staff member
He has a degree in psychology or some such, I don't think he's a phony but he definitely know how he is supposed to come off and does all he can to stem any kind of negativity or distraction.

A phony would say these things and not put the work in or not mean any of it, that's not the case with him.

His demeanor is exactly what is needed out of a Cowboys QB with all the BS and sideshows that go along with it.
A phony doesn't do this:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
McNabb is very fake. And he bristled at any hint of criticism.

It's funny, because most eagles fans consider him their best QB ever. Probably their best era. Yet a very large percentage of their fans don't really like him.
Yeah I remember McNabb as a sensitive little bitch.

It's like the opposite of Dak who is basically always calm, cool and collected.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Still can't believe the amazing things this kid accomplished last year.

It's exciting to be a fan again.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life

I heard today something that impresses me that much more about the dude. He got his masters degree in the same time frame as his bachelors. That says tons about his dedication to something. Says he's going to get his doctorate too. I have huge admiration for the young man beyond football.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I heard today something that impresses me that much more about the dude. He got his masters degree in the same time frame as his bachelors. That says tons about his dedication to something. Says he's going to get his doctorate too. I have huge admiration for the young man beyond football.
I agree. It says alot about his ambition and drive.

shane

DCC 4Life
He seems humble, and I believe it's probably because he wasn't groomed to be a star. It may wear off after awhile, but I feel it is genuine as of right now. McNabb was always a primadonna, I don't get that vibe from Dak. At least not yet.

2233boys

Not So New Member

He has a BS and a Masters and is going for his PHD according to the Break.

p1_

DCC 4Life
And his ability to prioritize and organize. His head is his greatest asset by far.
Speaking of which, this is a major distinction between he and Tony. I don't think we will ever see Dak make anywhere near
the number of poor decisions we saw with Romo.

Top Bottom