Machota: What Dak Prescott sees in Rico Gathers now that they're getting more reps together

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What Dak Prescott sees in Rico Gathers now that they're getting more reps together
By Jon Machota , Staff Writer

Organized team activities have given second-year tight end Rico Gathers more opportunities to work with Dak Prescott. Even though they were in the same rookie class, Prescott was practicing with the starters last season while Gathers was working with the scout team.

Injuries to Geoff Swaim and James Hanna have opened the door for Gathers to get more first-team reps, which allows him to build his rapport with Prescott.

"He's getting better," Prescott said. "That's just what we're trying to do each and every day with him, get him better, make sure he's learning that playbook. What I like about him is just look at him, how big he is, the wide range he has of being able to throw him the ball, the catch radius is what I'm saying.

"He can be a special player. He's just got to keep working and keep getting better and he can definitely help this team."

Prescott targeted Gathers in several drills during last Wednesday's OTA session that was open to reporters.

"He's a basketball player," Prescott said. "Throw him the ball up high, give him a chance and he's going to come down with the rebound. There are great tight ends in this league that are Hall of Famers that were basketball players. Not putting that on Rico, but I'm just saying that he's got something those guys got. He's just got to keep improving."

Gathers said he picked up on Prescott's work habits early on last year. From the way the quarterback scheduled his day to how he studied the game.
Gathers is using a similar approach as he works to not only make the active roster but be a factor on Sundays.

"Dak, he's always been in my ear about being on top of my game," Gathers said. "Me seeing his work ethic last year before Tony [Romo] got hurt, I knew once he got his shot he was going to perform and he was going to be great.

"So just being around a guy like that and having him in your corner and me trying to take the same approach he took, just being on top of my stuff, it's been a smoother transition going forward."

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
What I notice here is Dak said three different times that Rico has to get better. That says a lot.

Top Bottom