PFT: ESPN bringing Hank Williams Jr. back to MNF open

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ESPN bringing Hank Williams Jr. back to MNF open
Posted by Darin Gantt on June 5, 2017, 8:07 AM EDT

At a time when some are criticizing ESPN for being too political (though that’s largely just a euphemism for letting non-white people and women talk), they’re bring back a guy whose political commentary cost him a gig in the first place.

According to Cindy Watts of USA Today, the network is bringing former country star Hank Williams Jr. back to their Monday Night Football broadcast.

It’s been six years since they parted ways with him, after Williams called then-Republican House Speaker John Boehner playing golf with then-President Barack Obama “one of the biggest political mistakes ever.”

“It would be like Hitler playing golf with [Israeli leader] Benjamin Netanyahu,” he then explained on Fox News’ Fox & Friends. He also referred to Obama and then-Vice President Joe Biden as “the enemy.”

(Note to aspiring writers, artists and public speakers: If you’re ever thinking about making the Hitler reference, don’t. No, really. Just don’t. Ever. No, seriously. It never works out for you. Never. You’re welcome.)

But ESPN figures enough time has passed (and the political climate has changed) such that Williams and his rowdy friends should be more welcome now.

“I’m sure there’ll be some [backlash], but I’m not concerned,”said Stephanie Druley, ESPN’s senior vice president of events and studio production. “It was the right time. We discussed it internally and it was just the right time to bring him back.”

Of course, it comes at a time when the network is laying off long-time NFL talent, losing reporters such as John Clayton and Ed Werder (among many others), which may make some wonder if they’re ready for some football or not.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
At a time when some are criticizing ESPN for being too political (though that’s largely just a euphemism for letting non-white people and women talk),
:doh He lost me right here. What an idiotic thing to say.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hmmm. Interesting they bring good ol' Hank out of mothballs once Obama is out of office. Yeah, I bet his previous comments get talked about once he shows up on the broadcast again.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Hmmm. Interesting they bring good ol' Hank out of mothballs once Obama is out of office. Yeah, I bet his previous comments get talked about once he shows up on the broadcast again.
Probably so but it's possible that ole Hank Jr. is in vogue again and the network gurus realize that their audience for football is more tied to him than the little fillies.

2233boys

Not So New Member
He's an idiot, but shouldn't have lost his job because of the original comment in the first place. He's a redneck, lots of Rednecks think that way. Had he said it on their broadcast, then they may have had cause. It won't affect me either way, the song at the start of the game is just background noise.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Probably so but it's possible that ole Hank Jr. is in vogue again and the network gurus realize that their audience for football is more tied to him than the little fillies.
He is thing again? I admit I don't keep up with whatever country noise is popular now, but how is he en vogue?

2233boys

Not So New Member
He is thing again? I admit I don't keep up with whatever country noise is popular now, but how is he en vogue?
Hillbilly Culture is my guess. He and older singers like him (even going back to his Dad) are being posted all over my Facebook (from my Redneck/Hillbilly Family and Friends)

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's an idiot, but shouldn't have lost his job because of the original comment in the first place. He's a redneck, lots of Rednecks think that way. Had he said it on their broadcast, then they may have had cause. It won't affect me either way, the song at the start of the game is just background noise.
They are just trying to use nostalgia to pull viewers. I know growing up that the sound of his Monday Night Football song is one of the things that you always remember and associate as Monday Night Football starting.

Now any of the songs since? I'd barely recognize them.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In vogue with football fans who identify with Hank Jr. as the voice of MNF.

2233boys

Not So New Member
They are just trying to use nostalgia to pull viewers. I know growing up that the sound of his Monday Night Football song is one of the things that you always remember and associate as Monday Night Football starting.

Now any of the songs since? I'd barely recognize them.
You are right, that is most likely the reason.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Are you ready for some Football!!!

This is the reason.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Then resurrect the song with Toby Keef. :lol

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Then resurrect the song with Toby Keef. :lol
They couldn't even if they wanted to. The MNF theme song is spun off of Hank Jr.'s song 'All My Rowdy Friends'. I doubt he'd ok it's use without being involved himself.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
To hell with you sissies, I like Hank.

:towel

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
To hell with you sissies, I like Hank.

:towel
Yeah, I do, too. I had his MNF theme song as the ringer on my phone for years. Glad they are bringing him back.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He's an idiot, but shouldn't have lost his job because of the original comment in the first place. He's a redneck, lots of Rednecks think that way.
I don't like country music and don't give even half a shit about HWJ, but the funny thing about his original comment is when they asked who people in his neck of the woods favored right then, he said Herman Cain.

But you never heard that mentioned, for obvious reasons.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Hank Williams Jr reminds me of my dad. He the same style, drug and alcohol problems and so forth as well. My dad was pretty racist, so I sort of get those good feelings and goosebumps when I hear Hank. Ahhh, good childhood memories. Nothing like trama to get the day going !

Top Bottom