Archer: Jason Witten willing to go with offseason plan for in-season gains

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Witten willing to go with offseason plan for in-season gains
9:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- As the plays are run, Jason Witten stands behind the line of scrimmage with his arms folded. Sometimes he will pace back and forth. Other times he will simply stretch.

The 10-time Dallas Cowboys tight end is watching. And it’s killing him.

“Yeah, it’s never easy,” Witten said. “But look, we have a great system in place. It’s been good for me as I’ve gone into this offseason, going into my 15th year to approach it that way and get with the staff and the trainers and weight staff who have been with me for a long time, and I pride myself in that. But this is just part of the plan.”

Witten has missed one game in his 14-year career. He has played in 219 straight games, the longest active streak of any non-kicker or punter. He has started 163 straight games, the longest active streak and double of the next tight end, Greg Olsen, who has started 80 games.

A year ago, he played in all but seven offensive snaps in the first 15 games of the season before the coaches decided to pull the starters in the regular-season finale after a few series.

Witten turned 35 in May and signed a four-year extension with the Cowboys this offseason. He is the franchise leader in receptions and should become the leader in yards after the season opener.

For years the Cowboys’ coaches have attempted to get Witten to take a day off, especially in the offseason. They succeeded to a degree last year in training camp when he rested a few days.

During the organized team activities, Witten is taking part in Tuesday and Thursday workouts, sitting out the Wednesday session that is open to the media.

Jason Garrett said the reasons for giving Witten rest now have not changed from the last few years, but they made their arguments better.

“You have conversations, very direct conversations,” Garrett said. “He’s one of those guys that you need to have good reasons. You can’t just say (it). That’s really the case with all players. It’s important to say, ‘This is what we’re going to do. This is how we’re going to do it. This is also why we’re going to do it.’ And a guy like Wit, who has been around as long as he has, such a smart person, such a smart football player, such a great feel for the team and everything about it, you have to give him compelling reasons why. Hopefully we’re able to do that and I think he understands why. It’s in his best interest and our team’s best interest and he’s handled it really well.”

Well, as well as he possibly can.

Witten grew up under Bill Parcells, third round, class of 2003, and believes football players play football during football season. He has seen the Cowboys draft three tight ends in the second round since he’s become the starter and he remains while Anthony Fasano, Martellus Bennett and Gavin Escobar have come and gone.

The Cowboys did not add a tight end in the draft this year, but have hopes last year’s sixth-rounder, Rico Gathers, can become a player. They also have James Hanna (knee) and Geoff Swaim (foot) recovering from surgeries and unable to practice in the offseason.

Witten is content -- sort of -- to sit and watch in the spring. That won’t happen in the fall.

“It all goes to what he’s all about. He loves the game,” Garrett said. “He comes out here like it’s his first day, first rookie minicamp, that’s how he approaches every day of his career and that’s why the player he is.”

Top Bottom