Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Fuck the Eagles.

I almost wish we could work out a trade with the Rams just to fuck them over.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Fuck the Eagles.

I almost wish we could work out a trade with the Rams just to fuck them over.
The fucking of the Eagles will come when they cannot put a team around whatever QB they select. They have virtually no draft this year, have only a second round pick next year, and have to rebuild in 2018 already without a second rounder. All of those missing picks will haunt that team for years in the form of bad pass protection, no running game, an understaffed defense, and huge FA money spent on band-aids bought at the peak of their value. It's a big ask for a young QB to overcome all of that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think the impact on the liklihood of a Romo injury by adding a RB is negligible. Romo is either going to get hurt or he won't. It's sort of like the concept that a better Oline will somehow keep him healthy. It won't and hasn't.
A solid running game will keep the defense honest. Sometimes 1 second makes a difference whether a QB takes a hit.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Elliot in first. Henry in second. Wing T, wishbone. Romo only has to pass 5 times per game, protecting shoulder.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I feel pretty comfortable that at his age with his history of repeated season-ending injuries, including multiple back surgeries, his style of play, and our stupid, stupid offense, Romo is essentially a ticking time bomb.

We were in the top 4 and failed or refused to do what it takes to secure one of the top two QB prospects. The price was steep, but it always will be for projected franchise QBs.
I don't understand how you could be comfortable giving up what either team did to move up for these QB's.

Far more 1st round QB's bust than become good ad in the mediocre ones and it is a huge gamble.

These guys were not consensus franchise types as well.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Trading up in the NFL Draft for a quarterback is rarely a good move

Trading up in the NFL Draft for a quarterback is rarely a good move

Finding a franchise quarterback is the most important duty of any NFL general manager, which is why sometimes it's best to wait.

The Los Angeles Rams, desperate to build anticipation for their first season back in L.A., decided to ignore that advice. Last week, the Rams traded for the top pick in this year's draft Thursday, surrendering their first-round pick (No. 15), two second-round selections (Nos. 43 and 45) and a third-round pick (No. 76) in 2016 to the Titans. Tennessee also will receive the Rams' first- and third-round picks in 2017.

The Rams made this deal in order to ensure they would be able to draft the quarterback of their choosing next week. Although the signs point to them taking Jared Goff, reports from last week suggest they didn't know who the pick would be when they made the trade:

Both quarterbacks are making trips to L.A. this week to meet with the team.

The Eagles acted just as irrationally as the Rams

It was just 51 days ago when the Philadelphia Eagles inked Sam Bradford to a two-year, $36 million extension. But now, they've mortgaged their future conceivably for a chance to draft either Wentz or Goff.

Philadelphia dealt the No. 2 pick to the Browns Wednesday in exchange for its first-round selection (No. 8), plus a third-round pick and fourth-round pick this year. The Eagles will also surrender their first-round draft choice in 2017 and a second-round pick in 2018 as well.

Bradford's performance last season left a lot to be desired, but it's baffling as to why the Eagles would commit to him less than two months ago only to seemingly back away just one week before the draft.

As the rest of the NFL besides the Rams and Eagles learned from the RG3 trade four years ago, these all-in moves have a propensity to blow up on teams. Washington sent a plethora of draft picks to the Rams in 2012 to move up and draft Griffin, whose tumultuous tenure in the nation's capital ended last month.

The Rams hosed Washington in that deal, acquiring three starters -- left tackle Greg Robinson, middle linebacker Alec Ogletree and defensive tackle Michael Brockers. Cornerback Janoris Jenkins also enjoyed four very productive seasons before signing a big contract with the Giants in free agency.

It's OK to wait

There's little doubt the Rams, who had the worst passing attack in the league last season, are in dire need of an upgrade at quarterback. But there are ways to improve upon Nick Foles and Case Keenum without mortgaging the future, like signing a bridge veteran QB such as Ryan Fitzpatrick instead of feeling obligated to draft the hot name of the moment -- especially if you're not convinced he's going to be a superstar.

The words "bridge veteran" are probably anathema to Rams owner Stan Kroenke, who spent more than $1.8 billion on a new stadium in L.A. that will be the world's most expensive sports complex when it opens its doors. But the glitz surrounding Wentz or Goff will wane if they struggle in the pros, regardless of their No. 1 draft status.

Eagles head coach Doug Pederson says he thinks both Goff and Wentz can be franchise quarterbacks; however, Philadelphia doesn't seem to have its eyes set on either player specifically. Eagles general manager Howie Roseman says he would be comfortable selecting either quarterback, meaning he just made the biggest trade of his career for the privilege of drafting the Rams' leftover pizza.

Given that the Eagles just invested in Bradford, a former No. 1 pick himself, this trade reeks of short-sightedness. A team that finished 7-9 with one of the worst defenses in the NFL should be investing its resources in some other areas.

On top of that, the deal has predictably ticked off Bradford as well. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Bradford is "hot" and "wants to show everyone who's best." There's no guarantee the Eagles have improved their quarterback situation, but they've certainly introduced a lot of drama to their locker room long before training camp has even begun.

Those who don't learn from history ...

Make no mistake: Trading into the top five or top 10 to take a quarterback seldom works out. Since 1990, RG3, Mark Sanchez, Michael Vick, Ryan Leaf, Kerry Collins and Jeff George were all taken by teams that moved into the top third of the first round to select them. Vick is the only one of those players who had success for more than just one season.

This year's prizes, Wentz and Goff, have a number of question marks. Wentz has the physical tools to be a top-tier NFL quarterback, but the lack of strong competition he faced at North Dakota State remains a legitimate concern. Goff faced quality opponents playing in the Pac-12, yet there are ample concerns about his timing and accuracy.

If a team feels strongly about a young quarterback coming up through the draft, of course it should try to acquire him at all costs. But QB-starved franchises shouldn't feel obligated to draft someone whom they're ambivalent about just because it would generate headlines. If the right guy isn't there, it's best to move on.

In this case, it seems as if the Rams and Eagles are enamored with the idea of selecting a quarterback at the top of the draft this year, but not with Wentz or Goff specifically. That's a dangerous approach.

History shows buzz doesn't win football games, but teams continue to ignore the lessons they've been taught.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

D

Deuce

Hopefully Carson Wentz.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I don't understand how you could be comfortable giving up what either team did to move up for these QB's.

Far more 1st round QB's bust than become good ad in the mediocre ones and it is a huge gamble.

These guys were not consensus franchise types as well.
Moving from 4 to 2 we wouldn't have needed to give up as much. But that said, I'm fine with us not trading up because it still would've cost us at least our 2nd and probably a 3rd or 4th this year or next. Of course if that QB becomes a perennial pro-bowler then it would've been worth it, but that's a big if.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A solid running game will keep the defense honest. Sometimes 1 second makes a difference whether a QB takes a hit.
Sure and we will have a solid running game this year no matter what. Just like we did last year and just like we did the year before. Romo will get hurt if he is going to get hurt regardless.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Moving from 4 to 2 we wouldn't have needed to give up as much. But that said, I'm fine with us not trading up because it still would've cost us at least our 2nd and probably a 3rd or 4th this year or next. Of course if that QB becomes a perennial pro-bowler then it would've been worth it, but that's a big if.
I really don't think the price would have been much different.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sure and we will have a solid running game this year no matter what. Just like we did last year and just like we did the year before. Romo will get hurt if he is going to get hurt regardless.
Dallas needs a better running game than they had last season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dallas needs a better running game than they had last season.
Having a stronger running game then last year would be great. I think we would all love that. But it's not some sort of a solution to keep Romo healthy. You're barking up the wrong tree if that's what you really think it will do.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Howie Roseman at Sloan Sports Conference February 28, 2015:

"The history of trading up for 1 player, when you look at those trades, isn't good for the team trading up and putting a lot of resources into it. Because the guys who are really good at the draft,if you're hitting on 60% of your 1st-round picks, that's a really good track record." ... Roseman's sentiment was more lottery tickets, better odds.

:lol

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Having a stronger running game then last year would be great. I think we would all love that. But it's not some sort of a solution to keep Romo healthy. You're barking up the wrong tree if that's what you really think it will do.
I don't think nor did I say having a better running game would keep Romo healthy but it would help.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For example in 2014 our QB took 53 hits. In 2013 our QB took 54 hits. Which is negligible at best. Yet all would agree we ran the ball far more in 2014 and had a better offensive line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom