2016 Mock Drafts

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
As for Buckner, he can play both inside and out but I'd view him more as a DT. I'd be fine with him or Bosa even though both are underwhelming at 4. But so is about everyone else mentioned at that point.
Buckner has to be accounted for regardless of whether he's LDE or playing inside. I think he's a perfect LDE in this kind of 4-3 where you have to block and/or shed both physical RTs and TEs against the run and also rush against the pass while still freeing up the 3-Tech. I also think he's going to knock down a crap ton of passes, each of which is like a 0-yard sack and maybe causes a pick.

With both he and Thornton on the field, running will be very hard (just forget stretch plays) and Lawrence and Crawford will be freed to attack the passer-- the way this defense was meant to work. The beauty of it is Buckner will also win his share of plays with straight up power as a rusher. All without Hardy's baggage.

So needless to say, I'd be very happy with an addition like Buckner in any draft.

Elliott would be equally amazing.

I'm so going to lash out when Jerry and company take Ramsey or Jack.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm looking at Buckner as a DT, not an end.
Not in a traditional 4-3, but in this Marinelli scheme the LDE is less of a pass rusher than the 3-technique and more of a pass rusher than the 1-technique. That fits Buckner well, IMO.

I doubt we take him, but he would make the entire defense better.

I could see Dallas going for Bosa's sack numbers or one of the "freaks".

But for me it's either Buckner or Elliott.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Walter Camp Mock 4/21:

1. Joey Bosa - DE
2. Corey Coleman - WR
3. Eric Murray - CB
4a. Tyler Ervin - RB
4b. Miles Killebrew - S

I'd love for Coleman to drop to 34, but I don't think it'll happen. Bosa is OK at 4 under the circumstances. Don't like the Murray pick. Ervin is intriguing as is Killebrew.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Walter Camp Mock 4/21:

1. Joey Bosa - DE
2. Corey Coleman - WR
3. Eric Murray - CB
4a. Tyler Ervin - RB
4b. Miles Killebrew - S

I'd love for Coleman to drop to 34, but I don't think it'll happen. Bosa is OK at 4 under the circumstances. Don't like the Murray pick. Ervin is intriguing as is Killebrew.
Give me a different RB and I'll sign off on that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Give me a different RB and I'll sign off on that.
I agree, Bosa is a 10 year starter (If he didn't test positive for drugs), Coleman adds a total new dimension to the offense that we have sorely lacked and is a long term starter and I actually think Eric Murray is a pretty good player who could hang as a top 3 corner on an NFL roster for a long time. Tyler Ervin is a waste. Way better RBs to pick from in my opinion. Killebrew may never be a starting safety but he is better then guys we currently have on the roster and would certainly be a beast on special teams. Just sort of an in the Box safety.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I've sort of come around on Buckner, I wouldn't be devastated if he's our pick (though I wonder about the scheme fit).

But can someone explain to me why Bosa only had 5 sacks this past season and why that seems to be just glossed over? I'd be much happier getting him in the middle of the first.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But can someone explain to me why Bosa only had 5 sacks this past season and why that seems to be just glossed over? I'd be much happier getting him in the middle of the first.
Well he is kind of getting the Clowney defense of "teams double and trippled teamed him at all times." I don't know that I totally buy into that argument but he was an absolute force in some games like the Michigan game where his stats only show 1 sack but anybody who watched it knows he completely controlled that game by himself. It helps he had like 13.5 sacks as a sophomore and 7.5 as a freshman.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I've sort of come around on Buckner, I wouldn't be devastated if he's our pick (though I wonder about the scheme fit).

He was more productive at OSU then those 5 sacks would lead one to believe, but I agree with you.

He's Ryan Kerrigan. Good player, but 4th overall? No. When in doubt... planet theory.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
NFLN roundtable mock draft (no trades):

1. Rams - Wentz QB
2. Eagles - Goff QB
3. Chargers - Buckner DL
4. Cowboys - Elliot RB (Irvin made the pick)
5. Jaguars - M. Jack LB
6. Ravens - Tunsil OL
7. 49ers - Stanley OL
8. Browns - Ramsey DB
9. Bucs - Bosa DL
10. Giants - Treadwell WR

Weird mock. A couple of months ago Tunsil, Ramsey, Bosa were all top 3 picks and they go 6, 8, 9. Also don't think Jack goes that high with his injury or the Giants taking a WR.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NFLN roundtable mock draft (no trades):

1. Rams - Wentz QB
2. Eagles - Goff QB
3. Chargers - Buckner DL
4. Cowboys - Elliot RB (Irvin made the pick)
5. Jaguars - M. Jack LB
6. Ravens - Tunsil OL
7. 49ers - Stanley OL
8. Browns - Ramsey DB
9. Bucs - Bosa DL
10. Giants - Treadwell WR

Weird mock. A couple of months ago Tunsil, Ramsey, Bosa were all top 3 picks and they go 6, 8, 9. Also don't think Jack goes that high with his injury or the Giants taking a WR.
Weird indeed. A few weeks ago, people were touting Ramsey to the Titans first overall.

I do think if the top four goes that direction that the Jaguars take Jack. Or try to bail for someone who wants Tunsil or Stanley.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Weird indeed. A few weeks ago, people were touting Ramsey to the Titans first overall.

I do think if the top four goes that direction that the Jaguars take Jack. Or try to bail for someone who wants Tunsil or Stanley.
OK... Gonna play my rounda bout inside information card. I went to high school with the Jaguars D coordinator, Todd Wash. He was a year ahead of me, and I graduated with his sister. I talked to her over Easter and she told me that Todd says the Jaguars are hoping to come out of the first round with either Buckner or Bosa. I could see them taking Jack if he clears medically for them, but remember that Wash has been a D line coach since he broke in to the NFL. This is his first crack at D coordinator, so take this all with a grain of salt. This very well could have been him telling his sister that's who HE wants, and not what the team wants.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

Yeah, first I doubt we take Elliot, but he is a possibility. But this mock came off the rails with Jax taking Jack. Definitely don't see that happening. I think they'd go Bosa or Ramsey if the top 4 fell this way. If SD goes defense and there aren't any trades I do see Tunsil falling into the Ravens lap. If anyone does fall big, I think it may be Bosa, especially if there's more to the drug test rumors than we know.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The new rumor now has the Jaguars taking Leonard Floyd.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
OK... Gonna play my rounda bout inside information card. I went to high school with the Jaguars D coordinator, Todd Wash. He was a year ahead of me, and I graduated with his sister. I talked to her over Easter and she told me that Todd says the Jaguars are hoping to come out of the first round with either Buckner or Bosa. I could see them taking Jack if he clears medically for them, but remember that Wash has been a D line coach since he broke in to the NFL. This is his first crack at D coordinator, so take this all with a grain of salt. This very well could have been him telling his sister that's who HE wants, and not what the team wants.
Thanks Hos.

Top Bottom