Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

I was watching something about all the QBs on NFL network earlier today. They were doing a feature segment on Kevin Hogan, and when they showed him up close, my first thought was "Uh oh. He has a butt hole on his chin. That won't go over well on the DCC if we take him." After that, all I could see was Jim Carey's character in 'Me, Myself and Irene' after the chin surgery whenever I'd see him.

You know what is odd is that initial visceral reaction you have is not that far off.

I interview people every day. And I pride myself on being right more often than not.

But odd things like butt chins, eyes too close together, fat thighs, comb overs/hair plugs, odd lisps, all those things that bother me, I have to try to overlook in an attempt to be objective.

Every time I have discounted that and tried to be nice, it has blown up on me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wait, what? Jalen Ramsey had microfracture surgery on his right knee when he was in high school? Fuck that. I didn't want him before. I REALLY don't want his ass now.

This article is from about a year ago.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12627947/florida-state-cornerback-jalen-ramsey-embracing-another-challenge
This doesn't change my opinion. There has been little to suggest it has been an issue.

I have plenty of other reasons not to want the guy and there is no way I will endorse the pick if we go that way.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Hogan is one my day 3 pet cats if we don't do something stupid like draft a QB on day 2.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It's not just about Elliott.

Stats can be twisted practically any way you want. I still won't deny the FACT that Romo's best season and our best in recent memory came with a real running game.

Not a statistically similar output, based on looking at raw numbers.

It was not the same situationally as far as I know. We sucked at short yardage with McFadden. His YPC might even out with empty runs, but we were not a strong situational running team that could drive the course of the game off of it. When we needed the tough yards that establish momentum, we failed.

If you want to take the time to look up shit like that and prove me wrong, be my guest.

I know how the games flowed and the yards that McFadden pulled were mostly empty and when he did have a chance to make a big play, he'd get tackled after a long run and couldn't finish the job.

The entire offense was out of synch, even though the numbers were similar. Our own OC admits that there was something out of sorts.
Mcfadden did not suck at short yardage.

Conversion %
3rd or 4th down, 1-2 yards to go
Murray (2014) 19 of 26 -- 73%
McFadden (2015) 13 of 17 -- 77%

Murray pulls ahead when you add in 1st and 2nd down runs near the goal line, where the field shrinks, and where defenses could focus on stopping the run in 2015.

All short-yardage and goal line runs
Murray (2014) 25 of 32 -- 78%
McFadden (2015) 15 of 21 -- 71%

Considering the lack of a passing threat in 2015 and the fact that Murray is the better short-yardage back, that's not a big difference at all. If you'd told me before the season that we'd drop 7% on power runs, I'd have chalked it up to losing Murray. I wouldn't have even thought it would be McFadden we were talking about, much less that he'd do it with this passing game we had.

Now compare McFadden's runs to everybody else's short-yardage and goal line plays in 2015:
McFadden 15 of 21 (71%)
rest of team 14 of 29 (48%)

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think Dallas will be really trying hard to move down and after that all bets are off.

I can see 5 different players in the running depending where they end up.

I could also see them moving to the top of the 2nd depending on who drops out of the 1st, especially if it a Lynch or somebody like Dodd or Spence.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I'm glad. Doesn't change the fact that we didn't seem to show much interest in him. But from what I have read at least he has turned his shit around. But that could just be that no one was paying much attention at a random small school.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Little dude who has to bulk up to play RDE? Check.

Failed drug test? Check.

Multiple Failed drug tests? Check.

A total lock for the Cowboys at 34.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Possible Pick: Memphis QB Lacked Elite Competition; But Fits Prototype

By Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
@nickeatman

(Editor’s Note: With a little more than a week before the start of the 2016 NFL Draft on April 28, the staff of DallasCowboys.com has previewed a landscape of possible Cowboys draft picks – from the top of the first round to the bottom of the talent pool. Today’s featured player is Memphis QB Paxton Lynch.)
Name: Paxton Lynch
Position: QB
College: Memphis
Height/Weight: 6-7/244

Honors: Lynch led the Tigers to 10 wins last season, earning first team All-AAC (American Athletic Conference) honors for a season that included a 28-4 touchdown to interception ratio.

Key Stat: In his final home game of his career, Lynch completed just nine passes in the game against SMU. However, seven went for touchdowns, to seven different receivers, in the first half alone as he helped Memphis cruise to a 63-0 victory.

Where He’s Projected: His stock has likely changed over the last few weeks with the two trades involving the No. 1 and No. 2 picks. It appears Jared Goff could be the first overall player taken and there is a debate on what Philadelphia will do at No. 2, but a quarterback could be in play. It’s not likely to be Lynch, here but if the two top quarterbacks are off the board early, it will only help him if teams feel like they must trade up to land him. He could go to Cleveland at No. 8 now that the Browns have moved back. If the Cowboys decide to trade down from the fourth pick, Lynch could be in play for them.

How He Helps the Cowboys: If they take him in the first round, the Cowboys are saying Lynch is a future franchise quarterback. It’s unlikely he will help this team improve immediately, because he probably won’t play. He’s not going to unseat a healthy Tony Romo and if he is forced into action early, Lynch will probably possess the same learning curve as most rookie quarterbacks. But overall, he would be a big, strong-arm, but mobile quarterback who should develop into an elite player in this league.

Scout’s Take: Athletic for size. Mobile, can avoid the rush. Has a big wind up with his throwing motion but ball comes out quick. Nice ball handler. Can hit receivers on the move. Throws the ball with some pace when called for. Can throw the ball on the line. Works it in tight windows. Can make throws on the move going to his left or right. Tends to stare at his man so he will need work on that. Offense is based on first read. Nice touch to get the receiver up the field. Can drop the ball on the receiver going away. Getting better with foot work under center. Would benefit greatly if he could sit for a couple of season but ceiling is very high. -- Bryan Broaddus

data

Forbes #1

You know what is odd is that initial visceral reaction you have is not that far off.

I interview people every day. And I pride myself on being right more often than not.

But odd things like butt chins, eyes too close together, fat thighs, comb overs/hair plugs, odd lisps, all those things that bother me, I have to try to overlook in an attempt to be objective.

Every time I have discounted that and tried to be nice, it has blown up on me.
add hairy knuckles to the list.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
[MENTION=3]boozeman[/MENTION] Here's some fap material for you.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They are rebroadcasting the first rounds of the last few years of the draft on NFL.

This is funny shit.

data

Forbes #1
Yeah. That is a bit of a game changer as well.
As documented in Freakanomics, names are a game changer. in the office and for cowboys draft picks.

I'd never draft Paxton Lynch as the face of my franchise. Teh ghey name. Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman, Alundis Brice.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It is amazing how many times Mayock says the word "kid".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom