28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Spagnola: Don’t Be Taking A Player At No. 4 In The NFL Draft Just Because

Friday, April 22, 2016 5:07 PM CDT

By Mickey Spagnola

DallasCowboys.com Columnist

IRVING, Texas – Seriously? Seriously?

Just mean, got to be kidding.

Like, what were we talking about this time last week? That this darn defensive end position has been holding the Cowboys hostage for oh so long; that they’ve just had so many problems dealing with this one particular position, save Ed “Too Tall” Jones and DeMarcus Ware. We lamented how easy this draft could have been if not for Randy Gregory’s four-game suspension to start the 2016 season for violation of the NFL’s substance abuse program.

Bad enough, right?

And now this:

Defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence, the team’s 2015 sack leader with eight, and figuring to be the team’s defensive end cornerstone they could rely on until Gregory returned or until helped arrived in the draft, is facing a potential four-game suspension for violation of the league’s drug policies.

And the NFL Draft’s first round is less than a week away, potentially tying up the Cowboys in a defensive end-needy straightjacket that could warp their good sense.

Good gosh, there must have been some quiet times over the past couple of weeks when Jason Garrett has sat in his office thinking, “So I wanted to be a head coach, did I?”

OK, look, first of all, this Lawrence deal just didn’t fall in the Cowboys laps the other day. They’ve known this to be brewing. Secondly, be careful spewing disparaging remarks about Lawrence’s character or the Cowboys’ inability to control their youngin’s until you find out all the facts about why he’s in such a predicament. Remember, he and his agent are appealing the suspension, the reason this process has been on-going.

Heck, even I caught myself the other day saying, “Ah, kids these days.”

But that’s what happens when so many cavalierly report infractions without knowing the whole story, because if you have been paying attention, reports have stated Lawrence has violated the league’s “substance abuse policy,” which immediately raises the marijuana flag, while others have reported he has violated the league’s “performance enhancing drug policy,” which lets your imagination run wild.

In either case, if the Cowboys find themselves in this pickle, missing their two projected starting defensive ends for the first four games of the season, here is the transgression they simply can’t make:

Turning these four-game mistakes into a four-year mistake.

Meaning, desperately drafting a defensive end out of sheer need.

They should have learned that lesson in 1994 when they desperately selected Shante Carver with the 23rd pick in the first round. Probably should have just traded out if you look at the rest of the first round. They repeated the mistake in 1996, at least trading out of the first round this time (last pick, mostly for cap reasons), but still reaching for McNeese State defensive end Kavika Pittman with the 37th selection, though by then the pickin’s were pretty slim if you see what they passed on. Geesh, they’ve missed on more defensive ends than you can shake a stick at since the beginning of their time.

Here is the point: The player taken with the fourth pick in the draft – or wherever that fourth-pick value leads in a possible trade down – is yours for four years. You darn well are hoping for five by using the fifth-year option, as they likely will soon on center Travis Frederick. It’s not as if you can take out an eraser if you’re wrong. This would be an expensive mistake, especially since they own their highest first-round pick since trading up for the first choice in the 1991 draft.

You hope to never be this high again, thus popular logic, but not mine, for taking a quarterback of the future at No. 4 even if others in this draft – so far the Rams and Eagles – value this year’s crop of quarterbacks that much, as if these guys are The Last Picture Show of quarterbacks? A breed dying out? Or will there be another Jared Goff or Carson Wentz emerging over next year’s horizon like they did this year? Or even a Paxton Lynch or Dak Prescott?

As stated last Friday about trust factor, to me, a fourth pick in the draft is a terrible thing to waste just because …

So here is the deal: If the Cowboys all along were dead set on selecting Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa or Oregon defensive end DeForest Buckner or Clemson defensive end Shaq Lawson if available with the fourth pick or in a potential trade down, then do it. Fine. Just take the guy if there is a confluence of talent, need and availability.

But do not – do not! – pay a king’s ransom for something you’re really not convinced of just because these two four-game suspensions are loaded in that gun pointed at your head. If that’s the case, then the Cowboys have got to grit their teeth, act as if these two guys are injured and employ the next-man-up theory. That No. 4 pick is too important, needs to be everlasting not four-game duct tape.

Now, I’ll be the first to tell you that Dallas, no matter the suspension(s), needs help at defensive end. The Cowboys sack totals the past two seasons, 28 and then 31 this past year, are their lowest since 24 in both 2001 and 2002. And the two-year total of 59 is three less than the team’s single-season high of 62 in 1985 (sacks did not become an official NFL stat until 1982).

Cowboys COO Stephen Jones does not mince words about the importance of improving their defensive front, saying this week when asked what position most worries him, “The defensive front is a position we’ll keep our eye on,” along with “find a dominant pass rusher.”

You’ve probably heard that. But here is what else he included in that worrywart category: Backup quarterback and impact player.

Hmmm, can a cornerback/safety/great athlete (Jalen Ramsey) be an impact player at No. 4? Can a running back (Zeke Elliott) be an impact player at No. 4?

And when asked if he thought a running back could have top-five draft value, Jones’ answer was unequivocally “yes.”

Remember, Jones already was well aware of Lawrence’s predicament when he answered those questions earlier this week.

There probably was no need to ask Jones about the possibility of selecting another offensive lineman in the first round, notably Ole Miss offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil, meaning a fourth offensive lineman in six years since that would qualify as serious overkill. But to me, at No. 4, no matter the draft grade, an offensive lineman in excess does not define an impact player.

Check out some of these lost impacts when teams selected an offensive linemen in the top five of some recent drafts: In 2008, Miami takes offensive tackle Jake Long No. 1, passing on the likes of defensive end Chris Long and quarterbacks Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. In 2007, Cleveland selects offensive tackle Joe Thomas, great tackle, but has his impact on the Browns over the past nine seasons been as great as possibly those they passed on, like running backs Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch or linebacker Patrick Willis? In 2004, the Raiders selected offensive tackle Robert Gallery No. 2, thus passing on wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, safety Sean Taylor and quarterbacks Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger. In 2001, the Cardinals make offensive tackle Leonard Davis the No. 2 pick, passing on the likes of defensive lineman Justin Smith, running back LaDainian Tomlison and defensive end Richard Seymour. And in 2000, Washington went with offensive tackle Chris Samuels No.3, passing on running back Jamal Lewis (5) and linebacker Brian Urlacher (9).

And if you want food for thought, as good as Tyron Smith has been, the ninth pick in 2011 when the Cowboys were in desperate need to finally start upgrading their offensive line, two picks later went J.J. Watt. But remember at the time, the Cowboys did have some guy named DeMarcus Ware coming off consecutive sack seasons of 14, 20, 11 and 15.5.

Point is, to those who blindly say always pick the highest player left on your board, I say, within reason. All I know is the Cowboys won two of their last three Super Bowls with no offensive lineman higher than a third-round pick (Mark Stepnoski and Erik Williams) and the other with none higher than Larry Allen in the second.

Somewhere along the way in these drafts, logic must prevail, not just numbers and grades, especially in the top 5, where – and I’ll use this word until I’ve used up all I’m allowed – catalytic must be found. That’s what you want this high in the draft, a catalytic player.

Plus, going back to this desperate need, just because you select a defensive end doesn’t mean you immediately solve your problems. Rookie defensive ends, unless named Ware or Ziggy Ansah, for the most part don’t usually light it up with sacks immediately. Look at last year’s draft. Washington defensive end Preston Smith (38th overall) led all rookies with eight sacks. Five of those came in the final three games – three in the final game. The top selected defensive end, Leonard Williams of the Jets, sixth pick in the draft, finished with 3.5 sacks, while the only other defensive end selected in the first round, Shane Ray by Denver at 23, finished with four.

Gives you pause, doesn’t it, if your motivation when selecting a guy with the fourth pick in the draft comes down to simply covering yourself just because …
-----------

If you don't want to stomp kittens at the above bolded commentary, you might be a homer moron.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Mick is an unabashed Ramsey fan, probably because his tiny brain sees him as yet another "shut down corner" in the mold of Deion Sanders despite the lessons of Newman and Claiborne.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mick is an unabashed Ramsey fan, probably because his tiny brain sees him as yet another "shut down corner" in the mold of Deion Sanders despite the lessons of Newman and Claiborne.
I don't listen to that shit they put out with him on it, is that the reality? He's a Ramsey truther?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't listen to that shit they put out with him on it, is that the reality? He's a Ramsey truther?
Yup. His argument against a QB at 4 has been "I can't get behind drafting a QB that high unless he's Troy Aikman," and he constantly complains about Bosa too.

But Ramsey is supposed to be an impact player or some shit.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yup. His argument against a QB at 4 has been "I can't get behind drafting a QB that high unless he's Troy Aikman," and he constantly complains about Bosa too.

But Ramsey is supposed to be an impact player or some shit.
Ramsey is an impact player. We just don't want to draft another DB that high.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Ramsey is an impact player. We just don't want to draft another DB that high.
I think Ramsey is another Byron Jones.

I like Byron Jones and think he'll be good for us, but would have been really upset if we took him at #4.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think Ramsey is another Byron Jones.

I like Byron Jones and think he'll be good for us, but would have been really upset if we took him at #4.
Feh...can't worry about where a player was picked now...that ship has sailed.. Shit, Frederick was supposed to be a 3rd round prospect, but that worked fine.

CB is a bad word around here, but both Denver and NE invested heavily in the position on their way to the championship. Seattle with Sherman the year before that too.

townsend

Banned
Feh...can't worry about where a player was picked now...that ship has sailed.. Shit, Frederick was supposed to be a 3rd round prospect, but that worked fine.

CB is a bad word around here, but both Denver and NE invested heavily in the position on their way to the championship. Seattle with Sherman the year before that too.
CB is one thing, a CB that doesn't have a history of playmaking is another. If this was a guy with even Terence Newman's stat line I'd be way less hesitant to invest a top pick.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

CB isn't a bad word to me but not a guy who possibly projects to safety better than CB. We drafted one of those in the first last year. On top of that, the Dallas' front office has done a woeful track record when it comes to adding DBs to the team in the last ten years. The best addition to the roster in that time has been Orlando Scandrick and he was a fifth round pick eight years ago.

Plus, there really is no comparing Dallas' front office and those in NE, Denver or Seattle. Those teams find players throughout the draft and FA that fit their systems. The Dallas front office takes shots in the dark.

Carp

DCC 4Life
CB is one thing, a CB that doesn't have a history of playmaking is another. If this was a guy with even Terence Newman's stat line I'd be way less hesitant to invest a top pick.
He is a consensus top 5 player...seen him #1 in a few places. If you are just regurgitating his stats off the back of his card, then you are selling him short. If he truly is the same level of player as Byron Jones, how do you make the correlation that Jones was consistently in the late 20s in terms of his overall ranking, while Ramsey is a top 5 lock. Was the draft that much better last year?

I'm not jumping up and down wanting the Cowboys to take Ramsey, but I think he is a much better player than he is being made out to be in this thread.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

They paid Sherman after investing cheap draft capital on him. Same for their other corners. We paid Carr and have drafted two corners in the first round in recent years. When is enough, enough? Wha, third time is a charm?

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
He is a consensus top 5 player...seen him #1 in a few places. If you are just regurgitating his stats off the back of his card, then you are selling him short. If he truly is the same level of player as Byron Jones, how do you make the correlation that Jones was consistently in the late 20s in terms of his overall ranking, while Ramsey is a top 5 lock. Was the draft that much better last year?

I'm not jumping up and down wanting the Cowboys to take Ramsey, but I think he is a much better player than he is being made out to be in this thread.
Watch some William Jackson III highlights.... That dude? As a pure corner? He's a beast! Not saying he'll have the position flex of Ramsey, but as a big pure corner, he could be as good if not better. And he fits the mold of what McClay likes. Big, physical, tough corners. He would be one of my top trade down options if Dallas moves back. Or in a trade up from 34. The dude is a beast

Smitty

DCC 4Life
CBs get overvalued though, that is why they are a "bad word" around here, and that's what has happened with Ramsey as well. He's not the next Darrelle Revis and he's not gonna net you a ton of interceptions. He's actually got some serious flaws with his back to the ball like Claiborne did. So anyone thinking of him as a CB is misevaluating his strengths (or is ignorant of his weaknesses).

Ramsey is a safety and he's not likely to be Ed Reed either. He's a versatile guy who can blitz off the edge, line up in the slot, or play FS including cover TE's. I don't see what he really does better than Jones besides blitz off the edge and play in the slot. But he's not a full time CB and he's not a shut down CB at all, on any level.

Taking him at 4 is a huge waste for this team.

Carp

DCC 4Life
CB isn't a bad word to me but not a guy who possibly projects to safety better than CB. We drafted one of those in the first last year. On top of that, the Dallas' front office has done a woeful track record when it comes to adding DBs to the team in the last ten years. The best addition to the roster in that time has been Orlando Scandrick and he was a fifth round pick eight years ago.

Plus, there really is no comparing Dallas' front office and those in NE, Denver or Seattle. Those teams find players throughout the draft and FA that fit their systems. The Dallas front office takes shots in the dark.
Why on earth would it matter if he played S instead of CB? If you have paid attention at all in the last few years then you would know that S has been a glaring hole for a long time in Dallas. Why did you just reference Scandrick when it comes to DB additions...you forget about Jones already?

Propping up the Pats as some great drafting team is poor at best. The Pats are who they are because of a QB they took in the 6th in 2000...it certainly is not for their draft prowess. Seattle traded their 1st for Jimmy Graham and he sucked big dicks for them last year.

Dallas takes shots in the dark with players...seriously? Smith, Martin, Frederick, are all a part of the throw shit at the wall and make it stick group from the Cowboys.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
CBs get overvalued though, that is why they are a "bad word" around here, and that's what has happened with Ramsey as well. He's not the next Darrelle Revis and he's not gonna net you a ton of interceptions. He's actually got some serious flaws with his back to the ball like Claiborne did. So anyone thinking of him as a CB is misevaluating his strengths (or is ignorant of his weaknesses).

Ramsey is a safety and he's not likely to be Ed Reed either. He's a versatile guy who can blitz off the edge, line up in the slot, or play FS including cover TE's. I don't see what he really does better than Jones besides blitz off the edge and play in the slot. But he's not a full time CB and he's not a shut down CB at all, on any level.

Taking him at 4 is a huge waste for this team.
That's what I'm saying man. If you're dead set on corner? Then why not move back and get a pure one. A big body guy that can cover as good as any in this draft.

Don't blow #4 on a safety.

Stop this silliness of constantly drafting players, especially in the secondary, and immediately changing their positions.

You want the top big body cover corner in the draft?

Then trade back and get him. Jackson III is going to be a solid pro.

Top Bottom