Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think I might be done with this team when Romo retires

GShock

DCC 4Life
Yeah I didn't get that feeling at all. But hearing Jerry talk about QB gave me a pretty sick feeling. Basically talking about how horrible it would be if we drafted a QB, developed him and then his contract runs up before he is able to play because of Romo at the starting spot.
So the Denver lessons he could have learned included: having a capable heir apparent drafted when you already had a franchise QB was in no small part responsible for a SUPER BOWL WIN; or Denver COULD HAVE franchised Osweiller but chose not to and lost him. Instead, the lesson he learned is if you develop a capable backup, you might lose him.

But the lost years wandering from Aikman to Romo - no lessons learned there.

FFS.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You guys really put stock in what Jerry says these days?

The dude was basically stroking himself to the idea of RG3 and Manziel since like December and from what I can tell the organization as a whole didn't even give either of them a second thought. It seems clear to me that Jerry is starting to lose it, the shit he says and his speech patterns these days are just way out there, even for him, and I honestly think that Stephen/Garrett/the top scouts just let him say whatever he wants while they ignore him and make the actual decisions.

We brought in basically the top 5 QB's in this draft for pre-draft visits, including all 3 that are slated to go in the 1st, the organization clearly knows they have to at least think about planning for when Romo is gone. Stephen went on record saying we'd take a franchise QB at 4 over another high impact position player.

You can't blame them for not being willing to give up a bounty like the Rams or Eagles did for one of these QB's.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys really put stock in what Jerry says these days?

The dude was basically stroking himself to the idea of RG3 and Manziel since like December and from what I can tell the organization as a whole didn't even give either of them a second thought. It seems clear to me that Jerry is starting to lose it, the shit he says and his speech patterns these days are just way out there, even for him, and I honestly think that Stephen/Garrett/the top scouts just let him say whatever he wants while they ignore him and make the actual decisions.

We brought in basically the top 5 QB's in this draft for pre-draft visits, including all 3 that are slated to go in the 1st, the organization clearly knows they have to at least think about planning for when Romo is gone. Stephen went on record saying we'd take a franchise QB at 4 over another high impact position player.

You can't blame them for not being willing to give up a bounty like the Rams or Eagles did for one of these QB's.
And I think this is entirely possible. I've said before I think there are a lot of signs pointing to this being the case. That Jerry is largely being ignored at this point. They let him talk so that he feels important and heard but that most of the decision making has been passed down to Stephen.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I would prefer to stay away from a huge, upright RB like Henry. I probably wouldn't hate it at #34 because he would have a chance to be pretty good behind the Cowboys OL, but I much prefer a more compact RB who is always a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield.

You just described Deandre Washington. My man is getting no love on here.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If he slides down that far I will declare this draft the best since 1960.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

This would shake things up a bit.

D

Deuce

This would shake things up a bit.
Daniel Jeremiah was just on the Rich Eisen Show and he said that Stanley is in consideration, but he's hearing it should be Buckner and then Dallas will choose Ramsey over Zeke.

And just for CRock, he picked Joseph to Wahington at 21.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Of course San Diego isn't going to take Ramsey despite the fact that they have the worst safeties in the league.

All I have to say is that if we do end up taking this guy it better be to play safety. Carr is likely going to be around this year and next after restructuring, Scandrick is obviously here long-term and we'll see what happens with Claiborne. Either way, that's a fine top 3 for this season and then you have to feel ok about Carr/Scandrick as your starters next year as well, maybe add a mid-round pick or two, Mitchell looked decent at the end of last season, maybe he develops into a solid 3rd/4th CB.

The point is that our CB's are decent while we have a player who has already peaked/may be declining in Church at safety, on top of the fact that most think Ramsey is better suited for safety. So the clear solution that actually improves our LB's as well is to have Ramsey/Jones at safety and move Church into a DB/LB hybrid role where he primarily plays nickel/dime LB and backs up Lee at WLB.

In one fell swoop we have probably the most athletic safety duo in the league and improved our nickel/dime coverage LB's. This would be much preferable to having a logjam of CB's while Church/Wilcox still dick around in coverage.

Cotton

Staff member
Of course San Diego isn't going to take Ramsey despite the fact that they have the worst safeties in the league.

All I have to say is that if we do end up taking this guy it better be to play safety. Carr is likely going to be around this year and next after restructuring, Scandrick is obviously here long-term and we'll see what happens with Claiborne. Either way, that's a fine top 3 for this season and then you have to feel ok about Carr/Scandrick as your starters next year as well, maybe add a mid-round pick or two, Mitchell looked decent at the end of last season, maybe he develops into a solid 3rd/4th CB.

The point is that our CB's are decent while we have a player who has already peaked/may be declining in Church at safety, on top of the fact that most think Ramsey is better suited for safety. So the clear solution that actually improves our LB's as well is to have Ramsey/Jones at safety and move Church into a DB/LB hybrid role where he primarily plays nickel/dime LB and backs up Lee at WLB.

In one fell swoop we have probably the most athletic safety duo in the league and improved our nickel/dime coverage LB's. This would be much preferable to having a logjam of CB's while Church/Wilcox still dick around in coverage.
And, we have come out and say we are viewing him as a CB on our team. :picard

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Ramsey is an All-Pro at safety in my eyes. What's with this bullshit about him playing CB?

Cotton

Staff member
Ramsey is an All-Pro at safety in my eyes. What's with this bullshit about him playing CB?
The Cowboys have said they are looking at him more as a CB than S. Which is good and bad. Good that they might not take him because he is much better at safety. Bad if they take him anyway and play him at CB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Cowboys have said they are looking at him more as a CB than S. Which is good and bad. Good that they might not take him because he is much better at safety. Bad if they take him anyway and play him at CB.
Why would they draft him for corner after they basically just locked Carr up for another year along with Claiborne and Scandrick. Seems a bit silly to have gotten Carr to agree to the contract reduction if our plan was to take Ramsey and play him at corner.

Of course I may have just pointed out the reason for why Dallas would say some of that stuff with regards to Ramsey. Basically use it as leverage to get Carr to take a pay cut.

Cotton

Staff member
Why would they draft him for corner after they basically just locked Carr up for another year along with Claiborne and Scandrick. Seems a bit silly to have gotten Carr to agree to the contract reduction if our plan was to take Ramsey and play him at corner.

Of course I may have just pointed out the reason for why Dallas would say some of that stuff with regards to Ramsey. Basically use it as leverage to get Carr to take a pay cut.
I'm just telling you what I read.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm just telling you what I read.
I'm not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out it doesn't jive much with keeping Carr. Although it may have just been part of the bargaining process to get Carr's cost down.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out it doesn't jive much with keeping Carr. Although it may have just been part of the bargaining process to get Carr's cost down.
Possibly. But, I'm hoping they believe it and pass on him thinking the fit isn't there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Possibly. But, I'm hoping they believe it and pass on him thinking the fit isn't there.
Well I'm really hoping we are just talking him up to try to sweeten the value of our pick for someone in love with Ramsey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom