skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I can't wait until [MENTION=63]Jiggyfly[/MENTION] gets in here

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Speaking of being poor, there is a divide between classes, not just races. I have found that people that grew up poor are generally more friendly than those that grew up in privilege.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Speaking of being poor, there is a divide between classes, not just races. I have found that people that grew up poor are generally more friendly than those that grew up in privilege.
Privileged people are generally more interested in keeping up appearances. How they are viewed is extremely important to them.

There are some really crappy poor people though.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Privileged people are generally more interested in keeping up appearances. How they are viewed is extremely important to them.

Sure, there are exceptions to every generalization.

Kbrown

Not So New Member

My Mom had some weird things going on. They grew up really poor because my grandfather drank all their money. My grandmother would have to plead with a grocery manager for credit, etc. But for whatever reason my mom was obsessed with appearances and could be really elitist and judgmental, and passed some of that on to me. Now that I'm not exactly wealthy as an adult, I have to fight being ashamed for no reason sometimes.

I guess my point is that it's hard to reduce anything to broad racial or social claims.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Interesting.

I know that I've taught my sons how to talk to a man, how to shake a man or woman's hand, making eye contact, how to address different types of people and so on. That is very improtant to me. I noticed that black men generally don't follow this very much. I don't take it personally. I just assumed it was because of of different teaching.
Nobody is taught that.

I am interested to know like Towns said what is there socioeconomic background.

I think it is also a southern country thing because I know whites that do the same thing and it seems to come from a position of uneasiness with how they might be perceived.

Also what age are we talking about?

I know the older generation did that as to not be seen as threatening in any way, which could just be asking for trouble.

Also why is interracial coupling so fascinating?

And why is it still a source of tension for a lot of white males?

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
I wanted to build on some of that.

There are a number of black people who are flat out threatened by white people and that discomfort comes out as Skid has mentioned but I find that to be also more of a class thing than race thing.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Or interracial marriages - that stuff fascinates me. Sometimes I like to see how a coupe interacts. It amazes me for some reason.
In what way is it fascinating to you? You are in an interracial marriage yourself, right? Unless you consider Hispanic and Caucasian the same race for some reason.

1. I've noticed that some black men won't look me in the eye when talking to me.
This has not been my experience at all. Neither in the Midwest nor in Texas. Maybe your creeper/people watcher vibe is really strong and they are picking up on it? :shrug :art

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Nobody is taught that.
Well, in situations where that behavior (looking people in the eyes when you talk to them) is more emphasized it is certainly taught. I'm assuming that it is learned from example or maybe nobody ever took the time to coach people up that do that. To me it is a basic communication tool. Maybe it isn't as taught with some black folks?

It is weird because I have a black pastor that won't look at you in the the face when you're talking to him. I just noticed it more with black folks than white folks but that just may be my limited perception. I was wondering if anyone else noticed that.

I am interested to know like Towns said what is there socioeconomic background.
That is a good question. Obviously I can't quantify it because I'm not exposed to every situation.

I think it is also a southern country thing because I know whites that do the same thing and it seems to come from a position of uneasiness with how they might be perceived
Maybe so but my black pastor friend is from inner city NY and from an upper middle class family. He's married to a white lady. He was rejected by his wife's family for many years. They have been married for 25 years. He's not my only exposure to this but he's my closest example. Had a 2.5 hour lunch with him recently (he loves to talk) and noticed he seemed to be fighting it but would revert back when he wasn't paying attention.

Also what age are we talking about?
In my most recent experience we are talking about 3 different men in their mid-40s.

Also, I noticed that almost all of the teenage black athletes that I coached do the same thing.

Lately we have been going to an all black church and noticed it a bunch there.

I know the older generation did that as to not be seen as threatening in any way, which could just be asking for trouble.
I don't think it was ever in that context.

Also why is interracial coupling so fascinating?
I've been married interracially for 22 years and have a horde of interracial kids. Culture behavior and sociology fascinate me. I love to see different people interact. It's the same with people with wide age differences.

And why is it still a source of tension for a lot of white males?
I couldn't tell you. Tension isn't a thing for me as much as I'm a people observer. Hopefully that doesn't cause tension for others. If so that sucks.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
In what way is it fascinating to you? You are in an interracial marriage yourself, right? Unless you consider Hispanic and Caucasian the same race for some reason.

This has not been my experience at all. Neither in the Midwest nor in Texas. Maybe your creeper/people watcher vibe is really strong and they are picking up on it? :shrug :art

God I hope not.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
God I hope not.
:lol

I really doubt that's the case. Just messing with you. It has not been my experience that black men avoid eye contact when talking to me though, so it is interesting that this has been something you have noticed happening time and time again.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I wanted to build on some of that.

There are a number of black people who are flat out threatened by white people and that discomfort comes out as Skid has mentioned but I find that to be also more of a class thing than race thing.
In my pastor friend's case he grew up in NY in an all black area, moved to Florida and married a white girl where he experienced racism and now he is a pastor of church that is pretty much 100% non-black.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Well, in situations where that behavior (looking people in the eyes when you talk to them) is more emphasized it is certainly taught. I'm assuming that it is learned from example or maybe nobody ever took the time to coach people up that do that. To me it is a basic communication tool. Maybe it isn't as taught with some black folks?

It is weird because I have a black pastor that won't look at you in the the face when you're talking to him. I just noticed it more with black folks than white folks but that just may be my limited perception. I was wondering if anyone else noticed that.

That is a good question. Obviously I can't quantify it because I'm not exposed to every situation.

Maybe so but my black pastor friend is from inner city NY and from an upper middle class family. He's married to a white lady. He was rejected by his wife's family for many years. They have been married for 25 years. He's not my only exposure to this but he's my closest example. Had a 2.5 hour lunch with him recently (he loves to talk) and noticed he seemed to be fighting it but would revert back when he wasn't paying attention.

In my most recent experience we are talking about 3 different men in their mid-40s.

Also, I noticed that almost all of the teenage black athletes that I coached do the same thing.

Lately we have been going to an all black church and noticed it a bunch there.

I don't think it was ever in that context.

I've been married interracially for 22 years and have a horde of interracial kids. Culture behavior and sociology fascinate me. I love to see different people interact. It's the same with people with wide age differences.

I couldn't tell you. Tension isn't a thing for me as much as I'm a people observer. Hopefully that doesn't cause tension for others. If so that sucks.
Well some people just are not comfortable making eye contact, I have a young white guy teaching next door to me who always looks uncomfortable making eye contact with me.

I think your pastor fits the bill.

As far as kids most of mine who i Teach do not make contact and most are hispanic.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Well some people just are not comfortable making eye contact, I have a young white guy teaching next door to me who always looks uncomfortable making eye contact with me.

I think your pastor fits the bill.

As far as kids most of mine who i Teach do not make contact and most are hispanic.

I can tell you by being involved in leadership in a large church and as the owner of a business that hispanics rarely will take charge over a white person even when asked to, given the opportunity begged and everything else. They immediately take a back seat as soon as whitey in on the scene. We've even tried various training events to change that with very little results.

Now, educated, professional hispanics are a different story.

Jiggyfly

Banned
In my pastor friend's case he grew up in NY in an all black area, moved to Florida and married a white girl where he experienced racism and now he is a pastor of church that is pretty much 100% non-black.
He might have his own set of issues and that experience with racism might still be affecting him.

But like I said it is not something taught in the majority of black homes these days.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
He might have his own set of issues and that experience with racism might still be affecting him.

But like I said it is not something taught in the majority of black homes these days.
What is not taught? Eye contact or is there a lack of teaching which is the same thing if it is a behavior ignored IMO.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
1. I've noticed that some black men won't look me in the eye when talking to me. Do they think that I'm judging them? Is it something I'm doing? Maybe they've experienced racism? Why?
I have never experienced that. Must be a Texas black guy thing.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Even better with free gubment cheese.
:towel

Maybe this is where my love of cheese began. I'd have to assume yes. Eating cheese must bring about the comfort that can only be provided by Uncle Sam lovingly wrapping his arms around me.

Top Bottom