Panthers yank tag from Josh Norman, who becomes a free agent

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Posted by Zac Jackson on April 20, 2016, 5:36 PM EDT

The Panthers have rescinded the franchise tag the team placed upon cornerback Josh Norman before the start of free agency.

He now becomes a free agent.

“After a number of conversations with Josh’s agent, we realized that a long-term deal was not attainable,” Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman said. “We thank Josh for all his contributions and truly wish him well.”

This is a stunner. Norman was No. 3 on PFT’s Hot 100 Free Agent List before the player movement period started. He’ll likely draw plenty of interest — and plenty of money — on the open market.

Norman started all 16 games for the first time last season and had a career-best four interceptions. He was a fifth-round pick of the Panthers in 2012.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So why don't they take advantage of the tag and keep him for the year?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ironic that he got canned on 4/20.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Not interested. Given what he'd get paid, I think he'd be a massive bust for us.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Apparently they are like, eff him.

Sounds like a case of where he might be overvaluing himself.

They do have a great collection of LBers that can cover and his job is made a little easier.

Or, shocking I know, they don't want to pay out the ass for a fucking corner.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
My God.

There are Cowboy fans on Twitter saying "GIT UR DUN, JERRAH!!!".

:doh

D

Deuce

I'd cut Carr and throw big money at him. :unsure

Hes elite, he gets a wasted player off the roster and all but garauntees no Ramsey.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd cut Carr and throw big money at him. :unsure

Hes elite, he gets a wasted player off the roster and all but garauntees no Ramsey.
I'd take him in a heart beat for the right money. It should be interesting to see how much money is still out there for him this time of year. My guess is one of the shitty teams with a lot of cap space will sign him to a big deal.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd love to have him, but not for that retarded amount of money. If he comes down off that 16 mil per demand, and by more than just a little, then I'd be interested. But since I doubt he will, and some idiot team will pay it, I'd prefer we weren't that idiot team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd love to have him, but not for that retarded amount of money. If he comes down off that 16 mil per demand, and by more than just a little, then I'd be interested. But since I doubt he will, and some idiot team will pay it, I'd prefer we weren't that idiot team.
Yeah 16 mil is just not something I would do. Of course Brandon Carr will cost us 13.8 this year against the cap so let that sink in for a minute. Of course no one actually thinks Carr is worth anything close to that.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Smart move by Panthers. Guy wants a huge contract and will turn 29 in Dec.
No the smart move would be to play him this year under the tag and then let him walk. You just weakened your defense just because.

dallen

Senior Tech
Or let him negotiate with other teams and trade his rights away. This makes no sense.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
No the smart move would be to play him this year under the tag and then let him walk. You just weakened your defense just because.
Maybe they didn't want the distraction of a disgruntled player on the team?

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't give him half that. He's a product of their front 7. One season with more than 2 interceptions. Here, where we get about 18 sacks a year, he'd look just as bad as the guys we have.

Top Bottom