A week of LGBTQ acceptance education in a middle school. Really?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So if you called someone you disrespected "retarded" in front of a retarded person, you would feel a little bit guilty? You don't think that equating someone who has qualities you dislike with the handicaps that someone has to endure isn't deeply disrespectful?

How would you explain that to a retarded person, that you like to use their affliction as as insult, that you so inherently disrespect them, that you compare well-bodied, well-minded people to them, to demonstrate how foolish they are. Nope, no bigots in this crowd.
The point of an insult is to be disrespectful.

To insult someone you have to equate them to a a real life affliction that someone suffers from. Sorry, that's how it works. If you tell a fat joke... Jeez, some people have eating disorders you fucking bigot.

townsend

Banned
Homosexuality isn't a mental disorder, though. Transgenderism is.

Pointing it out doesn't make you bigoted.

Frankly the insensitive ones are the people who justify their delusions instead of trying to get to the cause.
It was considered a mental illness in the past. I believe it was finally removed from the DSM in 1973. But you're probably not repeating the past mistakes of bygone generations, they probably weren't as confident about it as you.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If you call someone stupid, are you not indirectly denigrating people with low IQs? They have no control over that. Do away with all insults, then; either that or you are a hypocrite.

townsend

Banned
The point of an insult is to be disrespectful.

To insult someone you have to equate them to a a real life affliction that someone suffers from. Sorry, that's how it works. If you tell a fat joke... Jeez, some people have eating disorders you fucking bigot.
In general insulting people is rude, but it's not true that all insults also tacitly insult a group afflicted with some kind of disorder. If I call you a fool, at worst I'm shitting on an extinct profession.

I don't know if I've heard a fat joke in a long time, they seem lazy (another insult that doesn't tacitly shit on another group) at this point; jokes are better when you challenge yourself.

townsend

Banned
If you call someone stupid, are you not indirectly denigrating people with low IQs? They have no control over that. Do away with all insults, then; either that or you are a hypocrite.
Actually the etymology of stupidity is not a medical diagnoses, and does not necessarily describe people with low IQ, it entered into the lexicon in 1541 and has had a variety of definitions attributed to them.

Compare to mental retardation, which is a term meant specifically to describe someone of slow mental development, and was coined around 1895, and was utilized as such into the 60s.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
So if you called someone you disrespected "retarded" in front of a retarded person, you would feel a little bit guilty? You don't think that equating someone who has qualities you dislike with the handicaps that someone has to endure isn't deeply disrespectful?

How would you explain that to a retarded person, that you like to use their affliction as as insult, that you so inherently disrespect them, that you compare well-bodied, well-minded people to them, to demonstrate how foolish they are. Nope, no bigots in this crowd.
People call things stupid and dumb all the time. If my computer starts acting up and I call it dumb, am I now going to have to start worrying about offending dumb and stupid people if they happen to hear me?

And the leftist PC crowd are just a bunch of hypocrites. They act so concerned about the 'rights' of a transgendered person and what bathroom they may or may not be able to use - but at the same time ignore the rights and wants of a vast majority of women who want to be able to use a restroom of their gender without a man who happens to think he's a woman wandering around in there. But I guess it's OK to offend and ignore the rights of millions of women?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If a transgendered person thinks he's a woman and feels like he has to sit when he pees, well guess what, there are stalls in the men's bathroom he can use. You'd think the main issue would be to have a place to relieve yourself. But apparently that isn't good enough for these people who want to keep changing society and have everyone else cater to their overly sensitive 'needs'.

townsend

Banned
But I guess it's OK to offend and ignore the rights of millions of women?
That's a compelling defense of Roe vs. Wade, but doesn't necessarily apply as a defense against discrimination. Unless you feel that it would be okay for the majority of white women to enforce bathroom segregation because the presence of black women made them uncomfortable. Blacks who thought themselves as equal were also looked at as delusional by your historical analogs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Comparing blacks fighting for equal rights with people fighting to be considered women when they are men, should be insulting to minorities everywhere.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
A better analogy would be a white women who identified as a black woman. Or maybe a white man who identified as a black woman. You have to throw out common sense when it comes to the leftist PC crowd.

townsend

Banned
Comparing blacks fighting for equal rights with people fighting to be considered women when they are men, should be insulting to minorities everywhere.
Defends use of slurs in one hand then gets to pretend things are offensive with the other.

You do realize that Trans people face extremely harsh discrimination, and treating it as some kind of trifle just proves how small minded and out of touch you are.

http://www.transequality.org/issues/resources/national-transgender-discrimination-survey-full-report

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Black people aren't pretending to be black though.

And for what it's worth, no one here is arguing that they should be targeted for hate. Just that they are suffering from a mental disorder and need treatment, not phony validation of their delusions with dangerous or privacy invading accommodations.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
People claiming to be transgender have rights, dammit. It's an even more minor minority. You are all bigots for not accepting his trans-transgenderism.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Independent of the politics of this particular fight, pointing back to a previous fight as justification is a blatant logical fallacy.

townsend

Banned
Black people aren't pretending to be black though.

And for what it's worth, no one here is arguing that they should be targeted for hate. Just that they are suffering from a mental disorder and need treatment, not phony validation of their delusions with dangerous or privacy invading accommodations.
I don't believe the APA is on your side with this one. Transgender people were taken off the DSM in 2012, just as homosexuality was taken off in 1973. At this point I would say the people describing transexuality as a mental illness are more along the fringes of the profession, or like the hack that wrote that federalist rag, completely unqualified to speculate.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't believe the APA is on your side with this one. Transgender people were taken off the DSM in 2012, just as homosexuality was taken off in 1973. At this point I would say the people describing transexuality as a mental illness are more along the fringes of the profession, or like the hack that wrote that federalist rag, completely unqualified to speculate.
You are either being disingenuous or you are incorrect; it was not taken off, it was renamed Gender Dysphoria instead of Gender Identity Disorder, and there was a shift from trying to correct the "incongruence" between birth (actual) gender and "identified" gender, to trying to correct the "distress felt" from having an incongruence between birth (actual) gender and identified gender.

Homosexuality was removed because preference is like opinion; it's not crazy to think chocolate is better than vanilla.

The DSM still recognizes that there is a gap in perception and reality for transgender people (this is practically the definition of mental disorder, when you don't have a grasp on reality); political winds have shifted to focus on pacifying this minority with self-justification instead of "judgmental" treatment largely because of the power of the gay rights movement. Specifically, it was heavily lobbied by LGBT activists citing that there were communities of people "living between the two binary genders who were not seeking psychiatric treatment."

Well golly.

There are probably a ton of schizphrenic people out there not seeking treatment too. Doesn't mean that they are experiencing reality just because they aren't bothered by their delusion.

Anyway, you'll still find Gender Dysphoria in the DSM though, because, well, it's delusion. People like the ones who took it out of the DSM did so because they were afraid of hurting feelings, not because there wasn't a gap between perception and reality. The entire basis for removing it is based on the concept that there is actually a space between genders, which, uh, is really only scientifically debateable if you are talking about mental states to begin with, since there is no room for debate at all on the fact that chromosomes are either one set or the other.

As far as anyone being a "hack" -- let's just say your biases render you completely unreliable in determining who is and isn't a hack with any amount of credibility. And if you think the DSM can't be politicized, think again.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if you were just popping a squat in an open stall and some kid watches you shit, that's your fault? I don't see that as your problem, it's th kid spying on you at that point, and you're the victim. If I'm in a men's room without stalls and some boy stares straight at my junk, I'm gonna be f***ing pissed. I don't think it's reasonable to restrict trans people for fear of children actively spying, that's not holding kids accountable to the reasonable conduct you would expect in a restroom.
So if a person leaves the door open when they go in the stall and they are standing their taking a piss when a child see their dick out you think that's a crime? Of course it isn't a crime.

Top Bottom