Archer: For Anthony Brown, chip on shoulder will live on forever

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
For Anthony Brown, chip on shoulder will live on forever
7:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The Instagram post has since been deleted, but if you Google “Anthony Brown” and “tattoo,” the photo can be easily traced.

The Dallas Cowboys cornerback opted to symbolize the chip he carries on his shoulder as a sixth-round pick in 2016 with a tattoo of a potato chip and the number 189, his draft slot.

The reaction was not what Brown was expecting. Perhaps he could have come up with a different sort of visual. Maybe just the “189” would have been a more suitable reminder. But he has no regrets.

“Man, that was over a month and a half ago,” Brown said. “I’m over that.”

While somewhat anonymous internet posters had their fun saying things online they likely never would have said directly to Brown, the tattoo’s message was to remind himself of where he came from.

“If I got it tatted,” Brown said, “I’m going to carry it forever, so of course I’m going to carry it. Always.”

That’s what should be remembered most about Brown’s journey. He’s far from the only player to use his draft status as motivation.

Orlando Scandrick was a fifth-round pick in 2008 by the Cowboys. He still plays with a chip on his shoulder as he enters his 10th season. Jason Witten can recite the exact order of the tight ends selected before the Cowboys took him with the 69th pick in 2003: Dallas Clark (No. 27, Indianapolis Colts), Bennie Joppru (No. 41, Houston Texans), L.J. Smith (No. 61, Philadelphia Eagles), Teyo Johnson (No. 63, Oakland Raiders).

Witten is entering his 15th season.

As for Brown and the tattoo, the corner said, “It was just something that came in my head."

A year ago, few people knew who Brown was other than the basics: played at Purdue, grew up in Florida as a Cowboys fan, ran a 4.32-second 40-yard dash. The Cowboys felt fortunate to be able to select him in the sixth round; they had him graded higher than Round 6. In his first training camp practice, he intercepted Tony Romo. He ended up playing in every game and starting nine, with Morris Claiborne and Scandrick battling injuries.

Brown finished with 56 tackles, two tackles for loss, one interception, eight pass deflections and a forced fumble. He played outside cornerback. He played in the slot. He hardly played like a sixth-round pick.

Part of the reason the Cowboys opted to not make big bids to keep Claiborne or Carr was their belief in Brown.

A year ago at this time, Brown found himself swimming in information and wondering where he was going.

“OTAs from last year and this year, it’s much different,” Brown said. “It’s slowed down so much for me. I went from rookie to veteran like overnight, and I’m going to embrace the role and make the guys look up to me.”

Cotton

Staff member
Listen, I'm trying to bring some discussion to the board and you aren't helping. We can either talk about a chip tattoo or various ways we can use Taco's name. Your call.

dallen

Senior Tech
People get all sorts of stupider shit tattoo'ed on themselves

data

Forbes #1
Pringles is not a potato chip, but a potato crisp.

Big it drama in the chip industry over this distinction.

Cotton

Staff member

Now, this is the kind of interesting discussion I expect during the doldrums of the offseason. Mucho props, my man.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Crunch Tators would have been my first choice, with Nestle TollHouse a close second.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
This would be a pretty good option as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regardless I still really like Brown. Great athlete with good size and played excellent as a rookie. He gets lost a little because of our great DB draft class but I still think Brown is a legit starter in the NFL. He really has no limitations athletically.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

Yeah, it's some sort of potato mash that is formed in molds and baked, not fried if I remember right.

They're a novelty snack that became popular because they were stored in a sealed tubular cardboard container. I remember brats in the grocery store shaking the cans, trying to turn them all into crumbs. 5-10% of the product ended up in pieces on the bottom.

Top Bottom