Archer: Dak Prescott showing he is ready for his encore in every way

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dak Prescott showing he is ready for his encore in every way
7:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Undrafted rookie tight end M.J. McFarland caught a simple pass down the field Wednesday and was met with a loud reminder.

It didn’t come from Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett or offensive coordinator Scott Linehan or tight ends coach Steve Loney.

It came from Dak Prescott.

“Tuck it. Tuck it,” Prescott told McFarland, telling him to secure the ball as he ran down the field to get ready for his next snap.

As Prescott enters his second season as the Cowboys' starting quarterback, more is being put on him. Linehan is adding to the Cowboys’ system as Prescott becomes more proficient in all areas with a year of experience. Prescott is also being asked to take ownership of the team.

A year ago at this time, Prescott was getting used to taking snaps from center and splitting time as the third-team quarterback with Jameill Showers. In his first organized activity as a rookie, he took two snaps in team drills. On Wednesday, he took five of the 12 snaps in team drills. Kellen Moore took three. Austin Appleby took two, and Cooper Rush had one.

“I guess just being more outspoken,” Prescott said. “But just the way I handle my business, the way I go about every day, I don’t think much has changed. Just the fact that now when I say things, people are listening, and I have the floor to say things now. Last year, I was just being quiet and trying to fit my way in somehow or another.”

He set 19 team rookie quarterback records in 2016. He tied an NFL rookie record with 13 wins. Yet Prescott says he can be “100 percent better” in everything he does.

“Mentally, I think as a quarterback and pretty much at every position, the No. 1 way to get better is the number of reps," the 23-year-old said, "and just me having a good bit of those this offseason, I think it’s going to allow me to get better with my footwork, get better at the reads, get better going through things faster and being more accurate every day.”

After Prescott earned the NFL Rookie of the Year award for his 23-touchdown season in which Dallas earned the best record (13-3) in the NFC, the trappings of being the Cowboys’ quarterback could've been overwhelming, but Prescott has not been caught up in the success.

While enjoying what can come for someone in his position -- such as the sponsorship deals he has secured with Frito-Lay, Pepsi, Adidas and Beats By Dre in the past 12 months -- Prescott spent the early part of the offseason working out in Orlando, Florida, with strength guru Tom Shaw, who helped prepare him for last year’s draft.

When the Cowboys reconvened in early March for captains workouts, Prescott was there, and he hasn’t missed a day.

At offseason testing earlier this week -- vertical jump, a three-cone drill, bench press, a 20-yard sprint and flexibility -- Prescott’s numbers improved from his rookie year in every category.

“He’s not resting on anything that went on last year,” quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson said.

The Cowboys had that first inkling last year, when he told them that he would need a week to master the ability to take a snap from center, something he rarely did at Mississippi State. Although he was a fourth-round pick, he quickly became the leader of Dallas' rookie group. When Tony Romo and Moore went down with injuries last summer, Prescott showed that he was ready for everything.

As his second season begins, Prescott is making sure that he is ready for the encore.

“He is trying to get himself ready for every opportunity he has, as quarterback, in the meeting room, walk-through, practice, games, in the weight room,” Garrett said. “He is just one of those guys, and he is a great example for a coach to use with the other players on the team. They naturally follow him. They naturally see how he goes about everything, how ready he is for the chances that he does get.”

If teammates see him working, the thinking goes, then they will work with him. If they see him taking accountability for his mistakes, then they will accept his criticisms when they err. It’s why Prescott took the time to remind McFarland, whose chances of making the final roster might be remote at the moment, to tuck the ball away.

“I don’t look at what’s behind me,” Prescott said. “I look at where I want to go and what I can do. The only way I know is through hard work, so it’s just something that I continue to try to do.”

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
How did we ever get this fortunate? I think this guy will be great for years to come. He has the right attitude about it all.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Its amazing when you reflect back on this time last year and just what transpired with Dak. I can hardly believe it. Cant wait for the sequel.

townsend

Banned
Dak is too level-headed to regress significantly.
Not only that but he has a stellar surrounding cast and complete continuity from the coaching staff. Regressions are usually precipitated by a talent exodus or a coaching/system change.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Not only that but he has a stellar surrounding cast and complete continuity from the coaching staff. Regressions are usually precipitated by a talent exodus or a coaching/system change.
Doug Free left.

I expect our offense to go limp with that loss.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
One of the things that I'll be looking for in year 2 is seeing how committed he'll be to sticking with the run.

I think one of the benefits to his inexperience last year was that you didn't have to worry about him checking out of run plays too often like we saw Romo do numerous times throughout his career. Watching Dak last year it felt like he went up to the line and simply ran one of the 2 plays that were available to him. He didn't appear to over-complicate things. Watching them last year I never once feared that Dak would go rogue and unnecessarily abandon the run, a la Romo vs the Packers in 2013. Again, I recognize a large part of that was due to his inexperience. So I'll be interested in seeing if he's willing to check his ego and stick to playing to the strength of our team.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It mainly comes down to the schedule and injuries. AFC West looks tough.

Top Bottom