Moore: Does David Irving's looming suspension mean Jason Garrett doesn't care about the right kind of guy?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Does David Irving's looming suspension mean Jason Garrett doesn't care about the right kind of guy?
By David Moore , Staff Writer

FRISCO -- Critics will use David Irving’s looming suspension to chip away at Jason Garrett’s bedrock assertion that he wants the right kind of guy on his teams.

That’s understandable, given how often the Cowboys head coach parrots that line. But it’s not a particularly accurate or fair depiction of what’s taking place.

Yes, this will be the fourth consecutive year the Cowboys open the season with a starter or key contributor on the defensive side of the ball under suspension. That alone leads some to label him a hypocrite. His refusal to acknowledge repeated questions on the trend doesn’t aid his defense.

“I don’t know that I want to get into all of those specific situations," Garrett said in Wednesday’s news conference at The Star. “We addressed those when they came up."

Let’s step back for a second and look at those specific situations.

Defensive end Greg Hardy and linebacker Rolando McClain were lugging plenty of baggage when the Cowboys took a chance on them. To a lesser extent, the same goes for draft picks Randy Gregory and DeMarcus Lawrence.

Irving, plucked off Kansas City’s practice squad, falls into the same category. You think a 6-foot-7 defensive end with promise goes undrafted as a rookie if there aren’t issues?

Orlando Scandrick? Let’s remove him from the discussion since his one-time suspension had to do with a recreational drug taken at a party.

The Cowboys knew these players didn’t fit the ideal character profile. They took a chance because of their defensive deficiencies and the desperate need to upgrade that side of the ball with blue chip talent.

Garrett didn’t compromise the team’s identity or his principles. Club officials made a calculated decision that the culture in place would be strong enough to make it work with an isolated player or two. When it hasn’t, the Cowboys have generally moved on.

Hardy was gone after one season, McClain after two. Their presence didn’t corrupt the concept. Their quick departures actually reinforced a player won’t be around long if he’s not the right kind of guy.

Irving faces a four-game suspension, sources say, because he took an over the counter performance-enhancing drug banned by the NFL.

“I don’t feel like from a mistake you can be labeled as the wrong kind of guy," defensive lineman Tyrone Crawford said. “I think everyone in here is the right kind of guy.
“Some of us make mistakes, but so do you all (media)."

So do Cowboys coaches and staff members. That’s what Garrett will tell you. No one is infallible.

“Hopefully you’re accountable for your mistakes, you learn from them and you move on," Garrett said.

That’s the key. A player who makes a mistake but buys into the culture at The Star will stay if he also has the talent. If he’s not the right kind of guy, he’ll soon be gone.

That’s not hypocritical.

That’s reality.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It is not Garrett's call if they are around.

He can throw a fit when someone like Hardy is around, but he has no say on them being acquired and especially enabled.

vince

Not So New Member
Wasn't Irving's infraction due to a supplement he took? Totally different than smoking a J.

midswat

... soon
I didn't read the article, but RKG is just coach-speak that Jason probably picked up talking to any number of the really for real coaches he visits with during the off season.

Also, he has about as much control of the roster as Campo did. That has been proven multiple times.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't read the article, but RKG is just coach-speak that Jason probably picked up talking to any number of the really for real coaches he visits with during the off season.

Also, he has about as much control of the roster as Campo did. That has been proven multiple times.
I also don't think RKG has to do with off the field stuff. It's more about their work ethic and character on the football field. Which we seem to draft a ton of those guys.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I don't think it's quite that bad but certainly not where it should be.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

midswat

... soon
I also don't think RKG has to do with off the field stuff. It's more about their work ethic and character on the football field. Which we seem to draft a ton of those guys.
Sure, but on the flip side there are a number of examples of us keeping shit bags around who displayed a poor work ethic, laziness, or shit decision making. Be it Brent getting retarded drunk and murdering players on a game day weekend, or McClain being fat and committing arson instead of practicing. Or Gregory being so addicted to weed (:jerk) he can't get back on the field for us.

None of those guys display any dedication to the game, but they get chance after chance after chance.

dallen

Senior Tech
Seems fair

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That is insane to me. Tells me one of two things. We either suck at character judgment or the playing field isn't exactly level.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is insane to me. Tells me one of two things. We either suck at character judgment or the playing field isn't exactly level.
I'm guessing both.

It seems like all of the other NFL teams are bunched fairly close together and than the Cowboys is this ridiculous outlier. And I refuse to believe we take that many more "chances" than other teams. Not by a long shot.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Randy Gregory is like 30 games just by himself but even take that away and we are in first place by a wide margin. So yeah... seems like something is up. Fucking cheating Mara family, is my guess.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So yeah... seems like something is up. Fucking cheating Mara family, is my guess.
That and Jerry has probably pissed off the wrong people. It's funny because we watch the NFL thinking that the whole thing is done on an equal playing field between teams. But in reality that couldn't be further from the truth. And it shouldn't be a surprise. The NFL is made up of owners who like each other, hate others and can influence things in a wide range of ways. It's like a game behind the game that we never see. And it's why Dallas gets docked cap space because of hand shake agreements.

midswat

... soon
Take Gregory and McClain away -- two players everyone else in the league was wise enough to stay away from -- and that number is a lot lower.

I know its a running joke, but I seriously doubt Mara is influencing Goodell to stick it to us.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The Dallas organization brings these type problems on themselves. All the people mentioned in this thread had a history of abuse either with drugs or women or both. Even some fans encourage this practice by saying who cares if they can help the team. Usually they really don't help the team and create more problems to deal with.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Dallas organization brings these type problems on themselves. All the people mentioned in this thread had a history of abuse either with drugs or women or both. Even some fans encourage this practice by saying who cares if they can help the team. Usually they really don't help the team and create more problems to deal with.
There are 100s of Randy Gregory's in the NFL. And by that I mean players who regularly smoke pot. It's not uncommon in the NFL and many former players have said so. So I refuse to believe that drafting a pot head is some extraordinary risk that every other NFL team doesn't take. The only argument you could make is that most teams would cut Gregory by now, which is probably true. Except we have seen the Cardinals and Browns cling to similar suspended players.

And if their isn't a bias I would love to know why Elliott's case with no evidence is dragging on for a year while other assault incidents take only a month or two for the league to determine no punishment is necessary. For some reason incidents involving Cowboys players require excessive investigations.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There are 100s of Randy Gregory's in the NFL. And by that I mean players who regularly smoke pot. It's not uncommon in the NFL and many former players have said so. So I refuse to believe that drafting a pot head is some extraordinary risk that every other NFL team doesn't take. The only argument you could make is that most teams would cut Gregory by now, which is probably true. Except we have seen the Cardinals and Browns cling to similar suspended players.

And if their isn't a bias I would love to know why Elliott's case with no evidence is dragging on for a year while other assault incidents take only a month or two for the league to determine no punishment is necessary. For some reason incidents involving Cowboys players require excessive investigations.
It is as long as the league has a rule saying it will evoke suspensions. It's not a position statement on pot. It's a simple circumstance that these type players are going to be penalized and it's not a good move presently.

Elliot hasn't been suspended so far so the argument is moot.

Top Bottom