JJT: Fear of Tony Romo injury shouldn't make Cowboys reach for quarterback

townsend

Banned
Even though Ravi's wrong that the price will be similar, we're definitely going to be paying more than market value on the trade up. We're essentially going to be paying Cleveland not to take a QB, I don't think anyone's that worried about San Diego taking one at this juncture, so if we aren't staying at 4 it's because our pants are around our ankles and our ass is in the wind.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's not only whether Cleveland is gonna take a QB, it's whether a team like SF or Philly will jump in there if we don't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not only whether Cleveland is gonna take a QB, it's whether a team like SF or Philly will jump in there if we don't.
That is exactly right. The trade value of the second pick is based on the number of teams bidding for the pick and what they are willing to give up. But the fourth pick is significantly more valuable in that trade then a pick later in the first. I have no idea of the interest level of the 49ers or Eagles for example.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Let me preface this with saying that the only way you consider this is if you think Goff/Wentz are both franchise QB's while Lynch is a guy who should go late 1st/early 2nd. If you evaluate Lynch as a guy who should go 10-15, you probably don't make this move.

With that said, if Cleveland says they'll give us 2 for 4+our 1st next year do you do it?

This assumes we don't know who the Rams are taking, but if you think both are franchise guys, does it matter?

If Wentz goes 1 the price to move to 2 probably drops a good bit since the Eagles seem to be the team most enamored with a QB, Wentz in this case. The 49ers may like Goff but they don't seem as hell bent on him as the Eagles are on Wentz. So if Wentz goes 1 maybe the price of that 2 drops a good bit and maybe you just sit at 4 and call the Browns bluff, hoping they pick a non-QB. On the flip side, if the Rams go Goff you have to assume the price of that 2 goes up with the Eagles probably willing to pay a Rams-like bounty. In all honesty we probably wouldn't be willing to pay the price the Eagles would be willing to pay.

So assuming we really loved Goff's workout and think he's an elite prospect, do you make the proactive move right now when the price of the pick may still be low?

You may be paying a higher price than you would if Wentz goes 1 but then again you may be getting a bargain if Goff goes 1.

Interesting situation here because it seems like the interest in the 2nd pick will only be high if Wentz is there.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
It'll be harder for Philly to move up because they're already missing their 2nd round pick. The Titans have it now.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Ravi, don't take this the wrong way, but your recent posts suggest you ate lead related paint chips as a child.
Sure play to the crowd. The desperate, Wentz-craving crowd.

The cost is going to be very high to move up two spots. It won't be what the Rams paid, but it will involve this year's 2nd and a future 1st at the very least.

QBs always drive up the cost. Look at what Washington traded for Griffin. *Three* 1sts and a 2nd. That was to move from 6 to 2.

I want a QB too, but be prepared for sticker shock.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Let me preface this with saying that the only way you consider this is if you think Goff/Wentz are both franchise QB's while Lynch is a guy who should go late 1st/early 2nd. If you evaluate Lynch as a guy who should go 10-15, you probably don't make this move.

With that said, if Cleveland says they'll give us 2 for 4+our 1st next year do you do it?

This assumes we don't know who the Rams are taking, but if you think both are franchise guys, does it matter?

If Wentz goes 1 the price to move to 2 probably drops a good bit since the Eagles seem to be the team most enamored with a QB, Wentz in this case. The 49ers may like Goff but they don't seem as hell bent on him as the Eagles are on Wentz. So if Wentz goes 1 maybe the price of that 2 drops a good bit and maybe you just sit at 4 and call the Browns bluff, hoping they pick a non-QB. On the flip side, if the Rams go Goff you have to assume the price of that 2 goes up with the Eagles probably willing to pay a Rams-like bounty. In all honesty we probably wouldn't be willing to pay the price the Eagles would be willing to pay.

So assuming we really loved Goff's workout and think he's an elite prospect, do you make the proactive move right now when the price of the pick may still be low?

You may be paying a higher price than you would if Wentz goes 1 but then again you may be getting a bargain if Goff goes 1.

Interesting situation here because it seems like the interest in the 2nd pick will only be high if Wentz is there.
If I evaluate Wentz as a Pro Bowl caliber QB, and the only way to get him is to trade up to 2, because the Eagles and Niners are both sniffing around, and if the cost is 4+future first only, then yes, I do that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If I evaluate Wentz as a Pro Bowl caliber QB, and the only way to get him is to trade up to 2, because the Eagles and Niners are both sniffing around, and if the cost is 4+future first only, then yes, I do that.
It will be more. Add in 34 for sure.

Genghis Khan

I don't know that SF would trade up, reports are that they wouldn't, though you never know what is true at this point. I'm not sure the eagles have enough ammunition, but they might if threw in Bradford or Cox or something. But either could happen.

And, after seeing the rams come all the way up who knows maybe the jets, saints or even bears might. So many possibilities, I don't think we can sit there and expect a qb to fall to us.

Genghis Khan

The fact that we sent the entire contingent to work out Goff at this point is very interesting.

I'm not sure what to make of it, could just be due diligence, it could be that we were somewhat interested in trading up for Wentz and now we want a closer look at Goff to see whether or not he is worth trading up for since the chances of him dropping to 4 are quite slim.
Why would they wait so late in the process to look at Goff though?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why would they wait so late in the process to look at Goff though?
More than likely to take another look where before they didn't think they would have a shot. Plus it makes a nice display two weeks before the draft.

He did come to Dallas to visit, so it is not like they haven't dealt with him before.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You don't know that.
Well, he did say 'for sure'. I don't think we have any choice but to believe him after that. That sounds pretty concrete to me. A bonafide Brady bottle lock if there ever was one.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think a second could be the price which is rough but no where near our entire draft and next years first.
Trade down to 15 prior to the draft and get the 2 seconds that the Titans picked up, and them trade back up to 2 using those 2 seconds and the second 4th. Boom!

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
No you don't. You want Elliott and will justify it with whatever nonsense you need.
From the start I've said we should draft a franchise QB, then Buckner, then Elliott.

If you think the Browns will take pick 4 and pick 34 and be happy, you're fooling yourself.

History backs me up regarding the cost of moving up for a QB, but people are choosing to ignore it.

Top Bottom