ISIS claims deadly Manchester attack at Ariana Grande concert

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Manchester, England (CNN)At least 22 people, including children, have been killed in a blast at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, in the deadliest terror attack on British soil since the 2005 London bombings.

A powerful explosion shook part of the cavernous Manchester Arena late Monday as concertgoers streamed out following the American pop star's last song.

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack but offered no evidence to support its claim.
An 8-year-old girl and an 18-year-old woman have been named as the first victims of the attack, which has drawn condemnation and horror from around the world as a heinous assault targeting children.
Police believe a man carrying explosives acted as a lone attacker and died in the blast, and they are now trying to determine if he may have been part of a wider network. A 23-year-old man was arrested Tuesday in south Manchester in connection with the bombing.

ISIS said on its Telegram channel Tuesday that a "soldier of the caliphate" was able to "plant explosive devices" at the arena, a US counter-terrorism source told CNN.
But police have not said who was responsible for the bombing and ISIS routinely claims attacks it has no proven links with.
Ariana Grande concert attack: Live updates
Girls scramble over seats and barriers to flee the arena.

Speaking after an emergency Cabinet meeting, British Prime Minister Theresa May condemned the attack as "callous" and "cowardly."
May said police had identified the suspected attacker, though she did not reveal his name.
"We struggle to comprehend the warped and twisted mind that sees a room packed with young children not a scene to cherish but as an opportunity for carnage," May said in London, before leaving for Manchester.

Young victims named
Eight-year-old Saffie Rose Roussos from Leyland has been named as one of the victims killed, the Lancashire County Council confirmed.
Chris Upton, the head teacher at the Tarleton Community Primary School, described her as "simply a beautiful little girl" who was "quiet and unassuming with a creative flair."

Georgina Callander, 18, was also killed, according to her school, the Bishop Rawstorne Church of England Academy.
"All of our students will gather together today for a time of prayer and reflection and to give thanks for the life of Georgina," the school said.
At least 12 victims aged 16 or under are being treated at a children's hospital for serious injuries, some of them fighting for their lives, a Manchester health official said.

Grande, who had just finished the first of three scheduled UK performances, tweeted about her devastation several hours later: "broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words."

The pop star has suspended her "Dangerous Woman" tour following the attack, a source with knowledge of the situation told CNN.
Queen Elizabeth II said Tuesday that "the whole nation has been shocked."
"I would like to express my admiration for the way the people of Manchester have responded, with humanity and compassion, to this act of barbarity," she said.

'Darkest of nights' in Manchester
Britain has been under a "severe" terror threat alert for three years and there has been an uptick in terror-related arrests in recent months.
Police have been warning that another attack was highly likely after a man plowed his car into a crowd on London's Westminister Bridge in March and stabbed a policeman, in an attack that left six dead.
Monday's bombing has raised concerns that a more sophisticated network may exist in the country than previously thought.

Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham described the attack as "our darkest of nights."
"These were children, young people and their families that those responsible chose to terrorize and kill. This was an evil act," he said.
Around 400 police were deployed overnight following the attack, and on Tuesday, large groups of armed police were seen at several parts of the city. Security has also been boosted in London.

People began paying their respects to the victims on Tuesday afternoon. A family of four arrived at St Ann's Square in the city center with a huge bouquet of flowers and colorful balloons to offer.
"I'm just feeling really down for all the families that lost their children and family members," said Michael Heveril.
"It's quite close to home -- I never thought anything like this would ever happen in Manchester."
Chaotic scenes
The explosion rocked the arena at around 10:30 p.m. (5:30 p.m. ET), and the sound of wailing sirens cut through the smoky aftermath of the blast soon after.
Crying children and parents desperately tried to find each other as cell phone signals faltered in the deluge of calls, witnesses said.

Manchester resident Charlotte Campbell told CNN as she was still waiting for news on her 15-year-old daughter, Olivia. "We've tried everything we can. They're telling us to wait by the phones," she said.
Olivia had gone to the concert with a friend and neither have been in contact. Her father is now looking for the girls.
"I want her home and I want her safe. ... I just want her to walk through the door."

Trump calls attackers 'losers'
US President Donald Trump slammed the attack, saying that terrorists were "losers."
"So many young beautiful innocent people living and enjoying their lives murdered by evil losers in life. I won't call them monsters because they would like that term. They would think that's a great name. I will call them from now on losers because that's what they are," he said.
"This wicked ideology must be obliterated."

A US Department of Homeland Security statement said it was "closely monitoring" the situation.
CNN's Samantha Beech, Darran Simon, Lauren Said-Moorhouse, Bryony Jones, Pamela Brown, Evan Perez and Ross Levitt contributed to this report.

My daughter went to this concert last month here in the States. Just incredibly sad for the families and kids involved. The only thing this sort of attack does is contribute towards hate and bigotry. Horrible.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This shit just pisses me the fuck off. Cowards, the lot of them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just don't really understand ISIS or how they think something like this will further their goal. Ultimately it just comes down to some lunatic interpretation of a religion to justify this sort of stuff.

vince

Not So New Member
Word is they've identified the bomber. 22 year old Salman Abedi.

When I was 22, I was focused on working out and getting girls.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I just don't really understand ISIS or how they think something like this will further their goal. Ultimately it just comes down to some lunatic interpretation of a religion to justify this sort of stuff.
To the extremist Muslim killing non belivers is their cause. They have no organizational or political agendas. They are full out jihad to destroy and rid the world of the non believer because we are infidel dogs in their sight.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To the extremist Muslim killing non belivers is their cause. They have no organizational or political agendas. They are full out jihad to destroy and rid the world of the non believer because we are infidel dogs in their sight.
Yeah but they also believe in converting people to their cause. So how can you differentiate between killing all the non believers while at the same time converting some to your cause.

That's like loving puppies but then wanting to throw a shrapnel bomb in the middle of a litter of puppies. Just doesn't jive for me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Should just have given them the damn Ipods.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Word is they've identified the bomber. 22 year old Salman Abedi.

When I was 22, I was focused on working out and getting girls.
They get all the virgins when they go meet Allah. Bonus for them.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah but they also believe in converting people to their cause. So how can you differentiate between killing all the non believers while at the same time converting some to your cause.

That's like loving puppies but then wanting to throw a shrapnel bomb in the middle of a litter of puppies. Just doesn't jive for me.
I wonder how many prospects were in the concert last night and what measures were taken to filter them out of harms way?

Their recruitment is a seperate agenda but doesn't seem to matter much toward a zeal to kill themselves and others when the time comes.

townsend

Banned

I think there's a goal to stay relevant. As long as they can put their name on the next catastrophe their "brand" stays important. Also fostering instability breeds more extremism. Shitty organizations like the National Front get more power, they push stuff like Burka bans etc and marginalize Muslims, Muslims become easier to radicalize.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, in response to the bombing, Katy Perry is pushing her globalist agenda. Yeah, that'll fix this, you stupid bitch.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So, in response to the bombing, Katy Perry is pushing her globalist agenda. Yeah, that'll fix this, you stupid bitch.
But have you seen her globals?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There's a vast difference between "ISIS" in the Middle East and what happens in Western countries. By and large the guys in the Middle East are hardened militants who are just looking to grab power, money, better their own position in life, whatever. By and large they've been part of several iterations of terrorist groups over the years, and in some cases they're former military, and it's basically just a way of life for them.

The terrorism in Western countries is simply meant to keep them relevant, be seen as the "premier" terrorist group, gain followers, recruits, etc., like has been mentioned.

But those they're recruiting in the West are usually very different and that's where it gets interesting to me. Most of the people who get mesmerized by the ideology are, for lack of a better term, losers in life. They're usually around 20-30 years old, they feel neglected and ostracized by the society they live in, they feel powerless, they almost never have a wife or kids, a well-paying job or any kind of "status". They get seduced by the propaganda they see online, which explains why their life is so shitty and gives them a scapegoat to blame and lash out against. They're sold a bunch of bullshit about a utopian caliphate being built and how it's going to give them everything they've never had in life.

That part of the psychology is what is most interesting to me.

There are some of course who don't match that profile who flocked to join them in Syria or Iraq that actually believed in basically the prophecy of the caliphate and the end times, but by and large I think the profile I mentioned above is basically what you see out of Westerners who join them.

dallen

Senior Tech
When I stub my toe in the dark ISIS claims responsibility for it

Top Bottom