Thursday Night Chatter Thread - Week 1 | Panthers v. Broncos| /09/8/2016

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Anderson coming through for me. :towel

Stars

DCC 4Life
Denver's pass rush is awesome to watch when it gets dialed up. Pretty envious.

Stars

DCC 4Life
Newton just got rocked. Helmet to helmet.

Stars

DCC 4Life
Yes! NFC 0-1 on the season. :towel

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

:lol

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

:lol
Looks like that new concussion protocol has already taken an "L".

It's supposed to be out of the teams' hands and up to the docs now, but it seemed that since the game was close in the 4th qtr no one with authority wanted to step up and pose the question that Cam may have been concussed.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think the biggest shock to me last night was the lackadaisical attitude that the Carolina offense played with most of the night. They were slow getting plays in. Slow getting out of the huddle. Slow lining up. Etc.

That attitude cost them most of their timeouts and it bit them in the ass at the end.

Cam's a vet QB who should know better but I also place a lot of the blame on Rivera and his staff. That can't happen. Especially against an evenly matched opponent.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The clock management last night was awful. Cam Newton and the coaches all should be smacked. It looked like they didn't give a shit the whole game.

Cotton

Staff member
Two of my FF opponents had no idea that me and CJ Anderson were coming for them. :towel

Carp

DCC 4Life
Siemien is getting some props...he was ok last night, but there is no way he is the long term starter.

Cotton

Staff member
Siemien is getting some props...he was ok last night, but there is no way he is the long term starter.
Nope. He made some really bad throws.

Cotton

Staff member
Will NFL, NFLPA investigate potential violation of concussion protocol?

Posted by Mike Florio on September 9, 2016, 8:23 AM EDT

Last year’s Case Keenum incident made a mockery of the NFL’s concussion protocol, with the clearly-concussed Rams quarterback not removed from a game against the Rams for an evaluation. The debacle resulted in no discipline for the various persons who failed to protect Keenum from the possibility of a second concussion in the same game.

And so the NFL, showing once again a commitment to ensure that an unfortunate, embarrassing situation “will never happen again,” adopted a new procedure for enforcing the concussion protocol. From the PFT story based on the announcement made on July 25: “The joint agreement of the NFL and NFL Players Association announced Monday entails each party designate a representative ‘to monitor the implementation of the protocol and investigate potential violations.’ The press release announcing the program explains that ‘[t]he investigation will not reach medical conclusions; it will only determine whether the protocol was followed.’ After the investigation, the league and union ‘will review the findings to determine if a violation occurred and, if so, to recommend the proper disciplinary response.'”

This means that the league and the union have equal power to launch an investigation into whether the concussion protocol properly was followed in any given situation. Which raises this question: Will the NFL or the NFLPA exercise that right regarding the failure to remove Panthers quarterback Cam Newton for a concussion evaluation during the final drive that nearly culminated in a Carolina win?

Newton seemed to be in distress after taking his latest illegal hit to the head — the only one that actually drew a flag. But he didn’t leave the field for an evaluation.

It’s the latest example of the biggest glitch in the NFL’s overall approach to concussions. Key players in crunch time rarely ever get removed for an evaluation, probably because the ATC spotter doesn’t want to be blamed for creating a competitive disadvantage if, for example, Cam Newton had been unavailable to the Panthers for the final drive if, as it turns out, Newton didn’t have a concussion.

The reluctance is understandable, but still inexcusable. If the league takes player safety as seriously as it claims to, the league needs to find a way to ensure that the concussion protocol is followed at all times, regardless of the player’s importance to the team or the importance of the moment of the game in which a concussion possibly has occurred. For now, the process continues to have a donut hole that eventually will result in a key player suffering a second concussion, which in turn could result in the kind of consequence to his health that will trigger major consequences for the sport.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

:unsure

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, Siemian was ok, made a couple decent throws and used his athleticism to scramble for a few yards but the real key to their offense was Anderson and the running game. The lack of arm strength with Siemian is clear, I don't think he attempted one pass over 25 yards and his throws to the sideline really float.

With that defense he might be good enough to make the playoffs this year and hold Lynch off but I can't see him starting next year assuming Lynch isn't a complete dipshit.

Top Bottom