Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I must admit, I'm kind of disappointed that the Eagles didn't give up a ransom like this for the 1st pick.

The Eagles would've had to give up their entire 2016 draft, their 1st next year and/or Cox in order to match the Rams offer.
They may try for 2 now supposedly.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
ESPN is reporting that the Rams are leaning towards taking Goff. There is a small possibility that Wentz will be available at 4. Small, but its still there

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Oh snap.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh god, I can already picture Ravi claiming now that any QB a team trades up for is automatically a bust.

I don't really see any significance to that list other then maybe a team who trades up for a QB from that far down tends to in turn not be able to put the pieces in around that QB because of the loss of draft picks and such.

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't think it proves anything. It is just interesting

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Who does this sound like?

Strengths: Possesses prototype size and outstanding stature in the pocket to brush off the rush and keep plays alive. Stands tall and delivers the ball in the face of heavy pressure. Keeps his eyes downfield while climbing the pocket, can avoid the first wave and make plays with his feet (deceptively quick and plays faster than timed speed). Good field vision and release point. Is efficient throwing on the run and excels on bootlegs and play-action passing. Good zip and accuracy on short-to-intermediate throws -- can fit the ball into tight windows. Fine touch to drop the ball in the bucket -- delivers a catchable ball with good anticipation. Senses pressure and evades the rush. Doesn't take many unnecessary sacks. Can extend plays when the pocket folds. Carries a sense of calm in critical situations. Engineered comeback victories, beat XXXXX and XXXXX on the road. Recorded a 32 1/2-inch vertical jump, 9-foot-7 broad jump (third-best among QBs) and displayed fine touch, timing, accuracy and anticipation in combine passing drills. Ripped the ball a solid 56 mph.

Weaknesses: Winds to uncork it deep and generate slightly above-average arm strength. Operated in an offense where he made a lot of one-look reads and short lateral tosses. Does not spin spirals consistently -- too many throws come out with loose wobble and could struggle to cut the wind and handle the elements of cold-winter climates. Tends to throw off his back foot when pressured, negating his accuracy. Works heavily out of the gun -- will have to adapt to snaps under center and deep drops. Operates an offense predicated on the short passing game that inflates his completion percentage. Ball handling/security could stand to improve (fumbled nine times as a junior). Struggled to throw receivers open vs. better competition and will require time to adjust to the closing speed of NFL defensive backs. Footwork could use some polishing -- deteriorates under duress and does not look natural on deep drops. Is only a two-year starter, can improve his overall understanding of the game and become more consistent with his mechanics.

Draft Projection Round 1

Bottom Line: Possesses ideal size, athletic ability, intangibles and enough arm strength to develop into an upper-echelon quarterback. Is not yet a franchise quarterback, but has all the physical ingredients to become an outstanding NFL starter and his arrow is very clearly ascending. Warrants top-10 consideration.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Bortles...?
Yea, and if you look at their collegiate stats they're almost identical. Alot of people thought that Bortles was a bit of a reach at 3 and that Clowney and Robinson were slam dunk prospects but look at where we are now. The Texans took Clowney and just paid Osweiler almost 20 a year with less than 10 career starts, the Rams took Robinson and just gave up a huge bounty to move up to 1 for a QB, meanwhile the Jaguars are perfectly content with Bortles as their QB for the next 10 years.

To be fair the Raiders got a HOF talent in Mack a few picks later and a couple of other really good players went in the top 10 in Barr and Evans but I don't think the Jaguars would change their pick even if they could. Lynch is a risk for sure but we are one of the few teams that is in the perfect position to get him to reach his potential, if someone is willing to take him at 10 they should be willing to take him at 4.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Honestly a lot of that reminds me of Big Ben. But also reminds me of Paxton Lynch.
Yea, that was my point, that there are alot of similarities between Bortles coming out and Lynch. Hell, there are probably alot of similarities with Roethlisberger too but I can't remember exactly what the consensus was 12 years ago of course. And Roethlisberger was pretty shit early on in his career at times, he was cushioned by excellent defenses and strong running games until about his 4th or 5th year in the league. He didn't set the league on fire, winning games by himself right out of the gate, it took time to become the QB that he is today.

I think the negative inertia around Lynch went too far in one direction between January-March and now the market is starting to correct with his stock rising again.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yea, and if you look at their collegiate stats they're almost identical. Alot of people thought that Bortles was a bit of a reach at 3 and that Clowney and Robinson were slam dunk prospects but look at where we are now. The Texans took Clowney and just paid Osweiler almost 20 a year with less than 10 career starts, the Rams took Robinson and just gave up a huge bounty to move up to 1 for a QB, meanwhile the Jaguars are perfectly content with Bortles at their QB for the next 10 years.

To be fair the Raiders got a HOF talent in mack a few picks later and a couple of other really good players went in the top 10 in Barr and Evans but I don't think the Jaguars would change their pick even if they could. Lynch is a risk for sure but we are one of the few teams that is in the perfect position to get him to reach his potential, if someone is willing to take him at 10 they should be willing to take him at 4.
That's the sort of thinking that makes high picks of guys like Ponder and Mallet. Goff and Wentz are legit top prospects. Lynch would be a massive reach. He's not a top ten prospect.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's the sort of thinking that makes high picks of guys like Ponder and Mallet. Goff and Wentz are legit top prospects. Lynch would be a massive reach. He's not a top ten prospect.
Maybe, although I was always shocked at how high guys like Ponder and Manuel went, they were 2nd round guys who went all the way up around 10-15. Lynch is a guy who should probably go around 15 but I would be ok taking him at 4 because we are in such a unique situation in terms of being able to develop a guy with his talent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the negative inertia around Lynch went too far in one direction between January-March and now the market is starting to correct with his stock rising again.
Yeah at one point it was Lynch/Goff fighting for the top QB spot. Right up until the bowl games where Lynch looked bad and Goff destroyed. I agree with you, I think the immediate reaction was to move Lynch way down. But now that teams are working Lynch out and looking at the entire body of work things are kind of correcting themselves. God he throws a pretty ball down field. Goff has always been my top QB in this draft but I have always been of the opinion that Wentz and Lynch aren't that far behind. Now after that it gets kind of ugly. I still sort of like Cook but the rest of the QBs just look like a pile of backups and garbage to me. I know some people like Brandon Allen but I just don't see anything more then backup with him. Same thing for the Prescott's of the draft as well.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah at one point it was Lynch/Goff fighting for the top QB spot. Right up until the bowl games where Lynch looked bad and Goff destroyed. I agree with you, I think the immediate reaction was to move Lynch way down. But now that teams are working Lynch out and looking at the entire body of work things are kind of correcting themselves. God he throws a pretty ball down field. Goff has always been my top QB in this draft but I have always been of the opinion that Wentz and Lynch aren't that far behind. Now after that it gets kind of ugly. I still sort of like Cook but the rest of the QBs just look like a pile of backups and garbage to me. I know some people like Brandon Allen but I just don't see anything more then backup with him. Same thing for the Prescott's of the draft as well.
Agreed.

To me Lynch is by far the riskiest but his ceiling is right there with Wentz, Goff is the most ready to play now and probably the safest while Wentz is probably the best combination of high ceiling and risk that can be mitigated.

Wentz and Goff are clearly above Lynch just because of the risk that comes along with him but I think we are in the best position to mitigate that risk and get the most out of him. I would never advocate taking a guy like Cook who I believe is someone who should go between 40-60, I just don't think Lynch is that far off, he's probably a guy who should go around 10-20. It's just that we are in a position to mitigate the vast majority of the risk that he brings.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I can't fucking believe we're gonna end up with another god damn fucking piece of shit can't force a turnover to save his fucking life corner back.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can't fucking believe we're gonna end up with another god damn fucking piece of shit can't force a turnover to save his fucking life corner back.
We will be lucky if he is strictly a CB. He's like so uber athletic, he can like, do evrathang. Yet nobody can figure out if he is better on the perimeter or in the middle of the field.

Doesn't matter, Marinelli will figure it out and stuff. His system is so flexible.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Bosa is the odds on favorite but I also wouldn't be surprised to see us trade down. We worked out a lot of mid first round type players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom