NBA Chatter Thread

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
13 page resignation letter?

And released?

I think he may be a little full of himself.
That may well be, but I don't think that matters. I think the letter was meant to explain what his thought process was, considering he never really explained what his plan was all this time.

He even said as much in the letter. Something along the lines of, we took a lot of criticism and we chose not to defend ourselves so as to keep a competitive advantage.

But I'm sure now he wants to at least explain why he was running things that way.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I 100% understand the theory behind what Hinkie was attempting to do with the Sixers, and in many ways I agree with it, although I think it's a bit too theoretical and lacking in real world application because you can't just bring in a bunch of 18-22 year old guys with no real veteran leadership or without making any attempt whatsoever to build positive, winning habits in the young guys.

With that said, I think there is definitely a good bit of league influence going on behind the scenes to push him out the door. The league knows that the quickest and easiest way to be a legitimate title contender is by hitting the lottery in the draft, literally and figuratively, and getting a generational talent. I honestly think the league was a bit afraid that this tanking strategy could actually work out at some point if they kept trying, although after Lord knows how much time, and that it would be very bad for the league if it caught on with several other organizations.

It would basically make the league much more haves/have nots than it already is and having 5-10 teams, maybe more, actively trying to not be competitive at all would be very bad for competition and how the league is viewed.

Genghis Khan

I 100% understand the theory behind what Hinkie was attempting to do with the Sixers, and in many ways I agree with it, although I think it's a bit too theoretical and lacking in real world application because you can't just bring in a bunch of 18-22 year old guys with no real veteran leadership or without making any attempt whatsoever to build positive, winning habits in the young guys.

With that said, I think there is definitely a good bit of league influence going on behind the scenes to push him out the door. The league knows that the quickest and easiest way to be a legitimate title contender is by hitting the lottery in the draft, literally and figuratively, and getting a generational talent. I honestly think the league was a bit afraid that this tanking strategy could actually work out at some point if they kept trying, although after Lord knows how much time, and that it would be very bad for the league if it caught on with several other organizations.

It would basically make the league much more haves/have nots than it already is and having 5-10 teams, maybe more, actively trying to not be competitive at all would be very bad for competition and how the league is viewed.
True that you can't just bring in young players without vet leadership, but I think that was always part of the plan. They just hadn't gotten to that phase yet. Brett Brown was on the radio this morning and said as much on the very same issue.

The problem with the league stepping in is that this is a problem with its genesis at the league level and how the player acquisition system is structured, not with teams that take advantage of a fully within-the-rules way of operating. Let's not pretend the Sixers invented this, they just took it a few steps further. The tanks leading up to the Oden/Durant draft, for example, were epic. And the funny thing is the team that benefitted the most from tanking that season was probably Boston, who ended up with neither player.

But it's an easy fix. Scrap the lottery and instead institute a draft wheel, where every team 1-32, regardless of record. It's stupid to set up a system like this and then get upset when a team tries to maximize its chances of succeeding under it. If you don't like what the system has wrought, change the system.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

Actually that should say every team rotates 1-30 or however many teams there are.

Or just have a lottery with every single team in the league having equal chances regardless of record.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
True that you can't just bring in young players without vet leadership, but I think that was always part of the plan. They just hadn't gotten to that phase yet. Brett Brown was on the radio this morning and said as much on the very same issue.

The problem with the league stepping in is that this is a problem with its genesis at the league level and how the player acquisition system is structured, not with teams that take advantage of a fully within-the-rules way of operating. Let's not pretend the Sixers invented this, they just took it a few steps further. The tanks leading up to the Oden/Durant draft, for example, were epic. And the funny thing is the team that benefitted the most from tanking that season was probably Boston, who ended up with neither player.

But it's an easy fix. Scrap the lottery and instead institute a draft wheel, where every team 1-32, regardless of record. It's stupid to set up a system like this and then get upset when a team tries to maximize its chances of succeeding under it. If you don't like what the system has wrought, change the system.
why not eliminate the draft altogether and make incoming players free agents? Let the losing teams compete to sign the top guys to a "rookie" max deal. The other teams can try to recruit the players who aren't offered the top deals.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Memphis has a late 10 point lead on Golden State. Looks like the best GS will be able to do is tie the all time record. Hell, they may not even get that since the Warriors have to play at San Antonio tomorrow night.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Of course as soon as I post that the Warriors start raining 3s and cut the lead to 3 with 4:23 to play.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Warriors pull it out by 1. 100-99.

With 8 seconds to play for some unknown reason the Grizzlies apparently drew up a final play for Lance Stephenson. :lol

As expected it ended disastrously.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The Rockets fighting for the chance to play the Warriors??? Lol.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Clutch City baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually I would not be surprised if they lost to the Kings.
I was hoping we'd lose out. I'm tired of this just making the playoffs crap.

It's why Cuban keeps putting a band-aid on the team each year. We need to get into the lottery, not this crap.

Even if we only ended up with like the 11th pick or something, that would still be way better than what we've been doing the last 3 or 4 years.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I was hoping we'd lose out. I'm tired of this just making the playoffs crap.

It's why Cuban keeps putting a band-aid on the team each year. We need to get into the lottery, not this crap.

Even if we only ended up with like the 11th pick or something, that would still be way better than what we've been doing the last 3 or 4 years.
I'm shocked that Dallas hasn't been able to land any of the premiere free agents over the last 5 years. They haven't even come close.

Dallas is a big city. They've been competitive for the last 15+ years. Won a title about 5 years ago. They have an owner who is willing to spend money on the organization and there are no state taxes in Texas.

You'd think they would have landed at least one all-star caliber FA.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Weird how essentially the same team has fallen off so far in a matter of months.
Very weird I don't know if I have seen anything like it.

Combination of getting complacent and not getting the same breaks as last year.

That team last year was flawed but they played hard every night.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm shocked that Dallas hasn't been able to land any of the premiere free agents over the last 5 years. They haven't even come close.

Dallas is a big city. They've been competitive for the last 15+ years. Won a title about 5 years ago. They have an owner who is willing to spend money on the organization and there are no state taxes in Texas.

They did.

Chandler Parsons...............oh wait.:unsure

dallen

Senior Tech

Hey, we had Jason Kidd in the All Star game in 2010! And uh (checks basketball-reference.com), Chris Gatling in 1997.

1bigfan13

Staff member
They did.

Chandler Parsons...............oh wait.:unsure
When Wesley Matthews (good player) and Chandler Parsons are your two biggest FA signees something is wrong.

Best case scenario, those are the kind of FAs I expect OKC to sign once KD and Westbrook leave. I know OKC is not a ideal FA landing spot so we're going to have to continue to get it done via the draft and fill on holes with guys like Parsons and Matthews. Getting a guy like Anthony Davis to freely come to OKC would be the upset of the century.

Last edited:
Top Bottom