DC.com - Staff Writers Give Their “Two Cents” With Cowboys’ Personalized Mock Draft

Jiggyfly

Banned
I mean it's hard to argue that North Dakota State in general was not better then most of their opponents. That team won games with or without Wentz. But when you watch games it wasn't like Wentz's receivers were just wide open or that he just had all day to throw the ball. So when you look specifically with Wentz's performance I'm not sure it holds much water. I am by no means a North Dakota State fan but my understanding is their championships have come by the way of some pretty great defenses. That doesn't really help Wentz look better throwing the ball, it just helps them win games and make it to the championship.
My point was unlike Goff who had a shit oline and was playing from behind most of the time, Wentz was not being put in the same stressful positions.

Out of 14 games as a junior he won 9 games by over 20 points and another by 12.

That team won 8 games by over 20 his senior year with him missing the majority of those games.

This not a rip on him just something to look at in the total summation.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'm not thrilled with either Goff or Wentz at #4 but if Dallas does pick one I'd feel better with the guy that has played in the bigger program. But this is just because I don't trust the brains of the Cowboys operation to adequately assess small school talent.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I hate sitting at number 4 this year because the most highly touted players aren't locks. Tunsil, Wentz, Goff, Bosa, Ramsey. I'me sure Ramsey will be a good player at the next level but where does he get plugged in if not CB? We already have Jones as a hybrid guy, do you really want to draft basically the same type of player high two years in a row? I think Tunsil will be worthy anywhere in the top five but we don't really need a premiere OT.

I would rather trade back a couple, few spots, pick up an extra second or third, maybe a fourth or fifth and use the trade down in the first for Lynch, maybe Elliot if he's still around even though I like Fournette better next year. I generally believe in the idea of drafting the BPA but when you have multiple needs and are picking in the top ten, you should draft the player that best suits one of those crucial needs. There have been years that I thought "Damn, I wish Dallas had a top five pick" but this isn't one of those years. Outside of Tunsil, I think the top 5 this year is a crap shoot and while I like Elliot, I just don't know that he is worthy of a prime pick. JMO.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
You can't cry about not getting Barry Sanders. Doesn't mean you shouldn't take Emmitt Smith.
It's a stretch if you're comparing Elliot to Smith and to this day, I would still take Smith over Sanders and not for homer reasons. I just believe that Smith was a better rounded back than Sanders who could be either feast or famine. For almost every big run he made, he lost yardage dancing around in the backfield. Sanders was a top five pick. What did the Lions win with him? RB is not as valued a position as it once was. We didn't lose twelve games because DMac was a former 1st round bust who exceeded expectations, we lost 12 games because we had jack shit for depth on defense and back up QB along with our star receiver going down early.

IMO, I think Fournette will be the better back at the next level but I wouldn't draft him in the top ten either. A good RB is important but generally isn't a game changer these days. The best back in the league is AP, what have the Vikes accomplished? A solid RB can be had anywhere in the first four rounds if you're smart.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The best back in the league is AP, what have the Vikes accomplished?
I can't believe this. After what we all saw in 2014? Dallas goes 12-4 with the worst defensive front in the league.

Backs make a huge impact. What the Vikes have done in mismanaging their team and failing to support Peterson is as bad a crime against football as what the Jones' have done to Romo.

You look at the teams that have landed great backs, and each is a mismanaged clusterfuck of an organization content to feature their star but don't really care about winning. It's sad. I really feel for Gurley right now.

Great backs inspire their teammates and create yardage from nothing. Only QBs out of all other positions can do that.

Pair a great QB with a great RB and your team can beat anyone.

Elliott isn't as flashy, but like Emmitt he's sure and steady and plays his best games vs the toughest opponents. Those three 200+ yard games to win the championship when everyone knew he was getting the ball were amazing.

People say Fournette could have done the same-- whatever. The point is Elliott did at OSU what Emmitt did here-- whatever it took to win.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I can't believe this. After what we all saw in 2014? Dallas goes 12-4 with the worst defensive front in the league.

Backs make a huge impact. What the Vikes have done in mismanaging their team and failing to support Peterson is as bad a crime against football as what the Jones' have done to Romo.

You look at the teams that have landed great backs, and each is a mismanaged clusterfuck of an organization content to feature their star but don't really care about winning. It's sad. I really feel for Gurley right now.

Great backs inspire their teammates and create yardage from nothing. Only QBs out of all other positions can do that.

Pair a great QB with a great RB and your team can beat anyone.

Elliott isn't as flashy, but like Emmitt he's sure and steady and plays his best games vs the toughest opponents. Those three 200+ yard games to win the championship when everyone knew he was getting the ball were amazing.

People say Fournette could have done the same-- whatever. The point is Elliott did at OSU what Emmitt did here-- whatever it took to win.
Hey, JMO. We brought in a retread former top 5 pick last year who many people considered a bust and he ended up in the top 5 in rushing yards last year without even starting a full season. Was that because he finally managed to realize his potential and stay healthy for once or was it because when you have a competent offensive line, you could basically plug in a back with above average athletic ability and he would have some success? The draft is replete with those kind of guys and you don't have to burn a premium pick on them. Equating Elliot to Emmitt is not even a valid argument because you're talking about using a top five pick on Elliot but Emmitt wasn't even a top ten pick and with today's salary structure it doesn't make sense. On the flip side, we drafted Felix Jones at 22 in '08 and there were backs drafted after him(Johnson, Forte, Rice) that had better production/careers than he did. Only one of those backs won a title and the one that did was drafted the lowest of the three.

My point is, RB is not the premium position it once was. OT, rush DE, QB. Those are the premium positions these days IMO and even then, you only burn one on what is hopefully a "sure thing".

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Hey, JMO. We brought in a retread former top 5 pick last year who many people considered a bust and he ended up in the top 5 in rushing yards last year without even starting a full season. Was that because he finally managed to realize his potential and stay healthy for once or was it because when you have a competent offensive line, you could basically plug in a back with above average athletic ability and he would have some success? The draft is replete with those kind of guys and you don't have to burn a premium pick on them. Equating Elliot to Emmitt is not even a valid argument because you're talking about using a top five pick on Elliot but Emmitt wasn't even a top ten pick and with today's salary structure it doesn't make sense. On the flip side, we drafted Felix Jones at 22 in '08 and there were backs drafted after him(Johnson, Forte, Rice) that had better production/careers than he did. Only one of those backs won a title and the one that did was drafted the lowest of the three.

My point is, RB is not the premium position it once was. OT, rush DE, QB. Those are the premium positions these days IMO and even then, you only burn one on what is hopefully a "sure thing".
I see this "McFadden was in the top 5 rushing" thrown out a lot around here. But for me, watching the games it seemed like his runs were either for 1 or 2 yards, big gains on sweeps or he'd pop an occasional big run to the outside. Looking at his stats, his 9 runs of 20+ yards kinda confirms that a bit. Those 20+ yard runs definitely helped his avg, but he seemed to have an issue with the tough yards inside at times which is where Murray did much better.

My big thing with McFadden is when he had a nice big inside hole, he fell down numerous times on his own with little to no contact.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You can't just say, derpderp Peterson never won. Or for that matter Gurly last year. That's incredibly myopic. The Rams didn't have a QB, and the Vikings didn't for most of Peterson's career.

A good/great RB doesn't make up for not having a QB. Just like a great o-line doesn't, just like a great WR doesn't. That doesn't by any means make them valueless.

2014 should have taught us the lesson that having a good running game in conjunction with a good QB is very advantageous.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I see this "McFadden was in the top 5 rushing" thrown out a lot around here. But for me, watching the games it seemed like his runs were either for 1 or 2 yards, big gains on sweeps or he'd pop an occasional big run to the outside. Looking at his stats, his 9 runs of 20+ yards kinda confirms that a bit. Those 20+ yard runs definitely helped his avg, but he seemed to have an issue with the tough yards inside at times which is where Murray did much better.

My big thing with McFadden is when he had a nice big inside hole, he fell down numerous times on his own with little to no contact.
That was pretty much Murray over the last 7 games in 2014 as well.

But yeah McFadden was not the difference maker the line was.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Sadly, I don't think they take Elliot if they don't take a QB. I think he would be a difference maker with this line though. NOt Emmitt good, but very close to the same type of RB in my opinion.

GShock

DCC 4Life
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
And just to follow-up, this week he posts:

Regarding the Browns at 2. Last week I heard Wentz strongly at this pick. This weekend one of my panelists said: “It’s definitely Goff. Believe it.” Next week, could it be Brian Sipe? But I will say this about the pick: Goff’s the name I hear coming out of that building right now. We’ll see.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And just to follow-up, this week he posts:

Regarding the Browns at 2. Last week I heard Wentz strongly at this pick. This weekend one of my panelists said: “It’s definitely Goff. Believe it.” Next week, could it be Brian Sipe? But I will say this about the pick: Goff’s the name I hear coming out of that building right now. We’ll see.
That reeks of smokescreen but I guess we'll find out.

As an aside, Sipe seems largely forgotten now but he was really good.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

Oh, I don't disagree because stats can be misleading and DMC certainly isn't a long term solution at the position and neither is Morris or Dunbar. With DMC, for every twenty yard run, there's two where he's stuffed. He isn't an inside runner but he's still is one of only a couple of backs that have gone over 1,000 yards since Emmitt went to AZ in 2003 though. JJ, Murray twice and McFadden. Even crap teams have had 1,000 yard RBs but what did it get them?

Shoot, we drafted TD #2 overall and won the one SB with him. Loved the guy, one of my all time favorite Cowboys but ever since the rules for the secondary changed in the late 70s, the NFL became more passing oriented. In the end, I'm just not a big fan of using a top five pick on a RB these days. If you do your homework, you can find a "franchise back" almost anywhere in the first four rounds of the draft. It's happened time and time again.

Outside of the OL, this team has glaring holes at several positions and while the RBs we have are not ideal, they're serviceable because of that line. That's why I would prefer not spending a premium pick on a back. True "can't miss" prospects are rare but skill position players that actually live up to the hype are even more rare. Outside of Tunsil, there is no one that jumps out at me as a can't miss prospect this year.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Would be crazy if both QBs were gone and Tunsil was staring us in the face.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Would be crazy if both QBs were gone and Tunsil was staring us in the face.
That would be an ideal scenario for a trade down. Teams would be tripping over themselves to move up.

Top Bottom