2016 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
And that makes him worthy of being up there with Tom Brady how?

I mean come on he got scholarship offers from how many other schools?

I'm sure Mich State offered him as well.
He's openly worn Michigan gear, been on the sidelines at games, and financially supported the program for over 20 years. It was very appropriate for him to be there. His involvement with the program has been widely publicized for decades.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's openly worn Michigan gear, been on the sidelines at games, and financially supported the program for over 20 years. It was very appropriate for him to be there. His involvement with the program has been widely publicized for decades.
It's basically what USC does with every famous person who is a fan of their team. This stuff doesn't bother me. Now pulling a scholly from a kid who accepted it... That's shady.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah he is a superfan, he has zero historical ties to the school other than being a fan.

Like I said I have no issue with the whole thing but let's be real about it.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Yeah he is a superfan, he has zero historical ties to the school other than being a fan.

Like I said I have no issue with the whole thing but let's be real about it.
I simply answered what type of tie he has to Michigan.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Kyle Allen: Texas A&M dysfunction stems from Manziel-led culture

HOUSTON -- Kyle Allen says a frustrating “culture” left over from the Johnny Manziel era is partly to blame for Allen's recent departure from Texas A&M.

Aggies coach Kevin Sumlin saw both Allen and Kyler Murray -- two valued quarterback prospects -- transfer within a week of each other in December. The moves sparked questions -- still left unanswered -- about what was going on in College Station, Texas.

In what is believed to be his most in-depth interview on the subject, Allen detailed to CBS Sports the reasons he left A&M for Houston.

“I think the culture was a big part of it, and I think that stems from Johnny's era there -- the way that they let Johnny and [others] act there,” said Allen, the No. 1-rated pro-style quarterback in the 247Sports Composite for 2014. “They [could] do that and still win games because they had Johnny … and five offensive linemen playing in the NFL right now.”

Allen added: “A lot of people were riding off that, ‘I can do whatever the hell I want and win on Saturday.'"

Manziel's off-field issues and discipline problems have been well-documented. In that 2012 Heisman Trophy-winning season, Manziel was known as much for his partying as his play. Since that season, 10 Aggies have been drafted, the most from the program in a three-year period since 2005.

The momentum created by that success drew both Allen and Murray to College Station. Both started games for Texas A&M in 2015, a season that ended with a second consecutive 8-5 finish for the Aggies.

“When you don't have players like Johnny and [others] there anymore, you have to really come together as a team and scrap for wins,” Allen said.

“We had a lot of people who were talking about the same goal but weren't all committed and on the same page to get to that goal," Allen said.

“For you to win in the SEC -- especially the SEC West -- 10 games a year and be a controlling powerhouse in that conference, you can't have a bunch of people going different ways.

“Everyone wasn't in a straight line. Everyone was going this way, this way, this way. We had a ton of talent there. I think that, once you get all the right coaches there and get the vision right, you can do a lot of things.”

CBS Sports reached out to Texas A&M on Tuesday morning for a response to Allen's comments but had not heard back at the time of publication.

Allen went on to say former A&M offensive coordinator Jake Spavital is an “awesome dude,” but he only briefly referred to coach Kevin Sumlin.

“Usually, you see Houston as a stepping stone for most coaches, just like Coach Sumlin was from Houston to A&M,” Allen said. “I think the university is trying to change that.”

Sumlin left Houston after four season, concluding his Cougars career with a 12-1 finish in 2011. Tom Herman went 13-1 in his first season with Houston in 2015 and was recently rewarded with a five-year, $15 million contract.

Allen was philosophical about Herman being one of the hottest coaches in the country.

“A major reason I'm here is because of him and [offensive coordinator Major Applewhite],” he said. “From what I've learned in college football in just watching stuff, you can't really count on a coach [to stay]. It's life, you know. If he gets offered $20 million to go coach at Ohio State … you can't blame him [for leaving].”

In two seasons with the Aggies, Allen played in 20 games and threw for more than 3,500 yards and 33 touchdowns. After sitting out 2016, he will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Murray transferred to Oklahoma and will also be eligible in 2017 after a year on the sidelines.

Allen was asked about his prospects transferring from a Power Five to a Group of Five program, especially considering he did not just leave any Power Five team -- Texas A&M's stadium and surrounding facilities are considered among the best in the country.

“At the end of the day, football is still football,” Allen said. “It helps recruiting a lot [at a Power Five program]. Our big player lounge [at A&M], our big scoreboard -- it's a recruiting tool. But when it comes down to it, at some level, it can hurt a team.

“Having all of that at such a young age, we didn't do much to deserve that. I don't think I realized it until I got here.”

Houston has invested millions lately into both football and basketball. The Cougars are heading into their third season in the $120 million TDECU Stadium. Basketball coach Kelvin Sampson has a new practice facility.

Herman had established a relationship with Allen having previously recruited the signal caller while serving as Ohio State's offensive coordinator. Allen transferred to Houston without setting foot on campus.

“For him to make that leap is a bit unique,” Herman said.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cop out. The guy has been gone for two years. If anything, that's on Sumlin.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Cop out. The guy has been gone for two years. If anything, that's on Sumlin.
I agree. It just doesn't add up that Manzeil's habits are still lingering around like a ghost. If there is a bad influence there it has to be from a source that is still in the midst.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I agree. It just doesn't add up that Manzeil's habits are still lingering around like a ghost. If there is a bad influence there it has to be from a source that is still in the midst.
That's not really all that I took from this. It is just a kid expressing his views. How he said it doesn't matter. He mentioned Manziel but I think the main point is that aTm is dysfunctional and we should all laugh.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think the biggest issue was the Murray and Allen dynamic, I pretty sure that divided the locker room and Murray does not come off as a very good leader and I bet that contributed to some bad habits creeping into the team.

But Allen is not above criticism he had every opportunity to solidify himself as the starter and failed to do it, it was nobody else's fault he had accuracy problems and held the ball to long.

And its funny that he mentions the o-line Manziel had because he has played with 3 guys who will be drafted as well and his WR talent is just as good or better.

I am not letting Sumlin off the hook because I think he let things get out of hand but Allen did not live up to hype.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think it's more the party school culture where the coaches don't pay attention to players off the field.
College Station is not really a party town but I can see these current players trying to live off the hype of the Johnny years, that was abundantly clear with Kenny Hill and Sumlin should have nipped it in the bud.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
weird fit, kind of late timing too.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
STILLWATER, Okla. -- Texas needs to eliminate the Longhorn Network in order for the Big 12 to avoid facing increased instability, Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy told CBS Sports on Monday.

Gundy's comment was made as he said the league overall needs to market itself better. The conference, he said, is at a disadvantage because of the widespread distribution and success of the SEC Network and Big Ten Network.

Eliminating LHN, which he called a “failure,” and creating a conference-wide Big 12 Network would give the league more national exposure, Gundy added.

“If we don’t eliminate the Longhorn Network and create our own network, they’re going to continue to have issues with this league,” Gundy said as the Cowboys returned from spring break to continue spring practice.

He continued: “You don’t have a Big 12 Network; you have a network within the league that people consider a failure.”

LHN’s struggles are well-documented. The school-centric network reportedly has lost $48 million since its launch in 2011. Its annual losses are now in the single-digit millions, according to a source. Both ESPN and Texas seem committed to the 20-year, $295 million agreement that would pay the school an average of $15 million per year.

“Everything is based on marketing,” Gundy said. “Right now the Big 12 is not getting the marketing we need because of the Longhorn Network. Now, nobody wants to hear that but …”

Gundy is also worried about other issues, such as recruiting. It’s no secret the Big 12 slipped in recruiting this year, particularly in Texas.

“You are getting the SEC Network, and you are getting the Big Ten Network and you are getting the Pac[-12 Network],” Gundy said. “Until we come together as a group [and] find a financial solution to eliminating the Longhorn Network, [there will be issues].”

Gundy’s views on the network are the same as those of Oklahoma president David Boren. Oklahoma’s former governor has been the most outspoken Big 12 source on the subject saying the league needs to expand and add a conference championship game.

“I appreciate what Boren is doing,” the coach said.

It’s been suggested there is a way to fold LHN into a possible Big 12 Network. The infrastructure is already there in Austin.

“If Texas doesn’t [fold LHN] in X number of years, they’re going to be in the Pac-12 or SEC,” Gundy said. “If that’s what they want, keep riding this horse. If you don’t want that, you better make some changes or it’s going to happen whether you like it or not.”

Mike Gundy led Oklahoma State to a 10-3 record in 2015. (USATSI)

Mike Gundy led Oklahoma State to a 10-3 record in 2015. (USATSI)
The league is in the process of a wide-ranging discussion on those subjects. If it does any or all of the three -- expansion, network, league championship game -- it will likely be announced by this summer.

“I don’t see anyone coming into this league,” Gundy said. “Who you going to get? You need strong football history, tradition, some type of television market. They want schools that have reputation academically. That market is not out there right now.”

A conference championship game could be a coin-flip decision for the Big 12. Does it want to get back into a postseason format where the underdog has won 28 percent of the time since league champ games started in 1992?

In the 15 years the Big 12 staged such a game (1996-2010), the underdog covered or won outright 40 percent of the time. If the Big 12 held a league championship game in 2015, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State would have played consecutive contests.

“We don’t need a championship game,” Gundy said matter-of-factly.

Much of the programming for a conference network would have to come from so-called third-tier inventory -- minor sports below football and basketball. Big 12 schools currently distribute those sports on a variety of platforms ranging from digital to regional sports networks.

The Big 12 still has nine years to run (through 2024-25) on its current rights deal with ESPN and Fox. The league is bonded together by that deal and a grant of rights. That means if a school leaves at any time before the term of that contract its television rights stay with the Big 12.

Essentially, no schools can leave without a massive legal fight. Some blamed the unique one-school nature of LHN for the Big 12’s upheaval at the beginning of this decade. The league shrunk to eight teams before quickly adding West Virginia and TCU. Its rights fees put it third among all conferences, behind the SEC and Big Ten.

The Big 12 distributes between $23-25 million per year to member schools. Bowlsby told CBS Sports if the conference does nothing to address the current disparity, it will be $20 million per school annually behind the SEC and Big Ten in 12 years.

Gundy’s comments on the subject are the first from a Big 12 coach. He knows a league coach doesn’t have much say in such matters but spoke out anyway during a wide-ranging discussion regarding football.

Gundy, 48, is third in seniority in Big 12 experience among the league’s current coaches going into his 12th season.

“It’s not working right now, in my opinion,” Gundy said. “It’s nobody’s fault. It’s not the Longhorn Network and it’s not Texas. But who’s going to give in, who is going to make it work?”

The four-and-a-half-year-old LHN currently has about 20 million cable TV subscribers nationwide. The subscription fee -- what viewers pay on their monthly cable bill -- in the Texas footprint is approximately 28 cents for its 6.5 million viewers.

That fee is significantly lower outside of Texas.

“We can't do a network without Texas raising its hand and saying, ‘We're willing to roll it in,'" Bowlsby told CBS Sports in early March. “We've had those conversations, but they haven't raised their hand. But they also haven't said, ‘Stop right now. We're not willing to talk about it.'”

Bowlsby had no comment Monday on Gundy’s views.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It is refreshing to hear someone speak up about what is going on. Texas has singlehandedly screwed the conference for their own gain. They don't seem to care that they weakened the conference in order to make strides in their own program. I think it backfire on them at this point. Maybe they didn't see the danger in making their opponents weaker.

Teams that have to keep their alliance with Texas are screwed and sort of stuck. If you want push back against them you could be left out of future deals. It is just a terrible situation.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Apparently shooting a street sign with a bb gun is a felony in Georgia :crazy

[MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION] shouldn't this thread be stickied?

dallen

Senior Tech
It is refreshing to hear someone speak up about what is going on. Texas has singlehandedly screwed the conference for their own gain. They don't seem to care that they weakened the conference in order to make strides in their own program. I think it backfire on them at this point. Maybe they didn't see the danger in making their opponents weaker.

Teams that have to keep their alliance with Texas are screwed and sort of stuck. If you want push back against them you could be left out of future deals. It is just a terrible situation.
I don't follow the Big 12 as closely as you guys. If UT is only interested in themselves and is hurting the conference, why not kick them out or leave and start a new conference? One of the main reason to have conferences is to share risk and reward. Sounds like they want all the benefits of being in a conference and all the rewards of being an independent.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't follow the Big 12 as closely as you guys. If UT is only interested in themselves and is hurting the conference, why not kick them out or leave and start a new conference? One of the main reason to have conferences is to share risk and reward. Sounds like they want all the benefits of being in a conference and all the rewards of being an independent.
If they kick them out the conference is over and half of the conference will be scrambling to find a landing place.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
You are spot on. UT is our daddy so we must comply. They hold the cards unless you are aTm or have acinfernce suitor. The PAC doesn't want religious schools like TCU or Baylor. THey don't want a school like Tech on their own. A package deal would require OU and some teams at the least. Long story short, we are stuck until a good situation comes up with a P5 conference. Then that leaves somebody out of the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom