Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we trade up for Lynch it would be patently retarded.
Why?

If we traded down to about 8-12 and took a guy like Elliott, Lawson or Rankins then used some of the extra picks we got to trade up into the 15-20 range you would have a problem with that?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Why?

If we traded down to about 8-12 and took a guy like Elliott, Lawson or Rankins then used some of the extra picks we got to trade up into the 15-20 range you would have a problem with that?
I don't think that scenario was what we were discussing, but yes.

In general, we'd be much better off drafting the better player in Wentz or Goff than wasting multiple resources on Lynch.

Specifically to your proposed scenario, I'm guessing moving from 4 to 8-12 would garner a similar bounty as it would cost to move from the mid 30s to mid teens. I don't see a net gain in picks (or at least not a significant one), that would make it worth taking the lesser QB.

Goff/Henry, for example, would be much better than Elliott/Lynch.

If we want to trade down in the first I'm ok with that, but then use the extra picks to take more players. If we want to use the 2nd on Lynch or Cook, that's fine. And if neither is there so be it. Neither is a good enough prospect to waste multiple resources trading up for.

Ultimately though, I just don't like Lynch as a prospect.

Last edited:

Carl

RIP Brother
In any given year/team? Or just for Wentz/Goff?

I wouldv'e traded up for Luck.
Every team would have. A talent such as him, comes along every 5-10 years. Neither of those are Luck.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think that scenario was what we were discussing, but yes.

In general, we'd be much better off drafting the better player in Wentz or Goff than wasting multiple resources on Lynch.

Specifically to your proposed scenario, I'm guessing moving from 4 to 8-12 would garner a similar bounty as it would cost to move from the mid 30s to mid teens. I don't see a net gain in picks (or at least not a significant one), that would make it worth taking the lesser QB.

Goff/Henry, for example, would be much better than Elliott/Lynch.

If we want to trade down in the first I'm ok with that, but then use the extra picks to take more players. If we want to use the 2nd on Lynch or Cook, that's fine. And if neither is there so be it. Neither is a good enough prospect to waste multiple resources trading up for.

Ultimately though, I just don't like Lynch as a prospect.
If it was up to me I'd take a QB at 4 and move on but if we don't, and if the alternative is taking Cook in the 2nd or Hackenberg in the 3rd, I'd rather we just trade up for Lynch. I've said all along that I'd be fine with passing on a QB until the 3rd day or not taking one at all if we don't take one at 4 but something tells me that one of our first 3 picks will be a QB and if I'm choosing between burning 34 on Cook, a 3rd on Hackenberg or trading up for Lynch, I'm trading up for Lynch.

Of course I'm sure I like Lynch much more than you as I think he is head and shoulders above everybody not named Goff/Wentz. He is a risk but I think he has arguably the highest ceiling of all the QB's and Dallas is the perfect landing spot for him to maximize his potential.

Carl

RIP Brother
I suppose if it was up to me; and everything went well, I would like Jack in 1, Billings in 2 and then grab Brandon Allen in the 3rd. The strength of this draft is definitely on D. The more I see of Elliott though, I could be persuaded.

data

Forbes #1
Thinking about doing a Draft Bingo or predict-this-will-happen game. Anyone interested?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Thinking about doing a Draft Bingo or predict-this-will-happen game. Anyone interested?
You know me. I'm always down for stupid shit like this.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Former WKU TE Tyler Higbee arrested, charged with assault, fleeing/evading police, alcohol intoxication

By ZACH GREENWELL zgreenwell@bgdailynews.com
51 min ago

Former Western Kentucky tight end Tyler Higbee was arrested Sunday morning and charged with second-degree assault, alcohol intoxication in a public place and second-degree fleeing or evading police.

Higbee, 23, was booked at Warren County Regional Jail at 2:41 a.m. Sunday. He was being held on a $10,000 bond as of Sunday afternoon, according to records available on the jail's website.

Higbee is currently rehabbing a knee injury and preparing for this month's NFL Draft. He's considered one of the top tight ends in the draft.

The 6-foot-6, 250-pound prospect caught 48 passes for 563 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior for the Hilltoppers, although he eventually missed five games because of knee trouble, including the Miami Beach Bowl win over South Florida.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Whole lot of smoke swirling about us going QB at 4, should be a bunch of twists and turns as the rumors heat up over the next few weeks though.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Schefter on the radio this morning said he is guessing from what he's hearing that Cleveland doesn't take a qb. Good chance they trade down. Expects Dallas to take Wentz if he's there.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Don't know if just me or it''s having a very high pick but it seems this Draft is taking forever to get here.

I can't believe its still 2 weeks away.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know if just me or it''s having a very high pick but it seems this Draft is taking forever to get here.

I can't believe its still 2 weeks away.
It still pisses me off that they moved it back like a week or two from where it used to be. It's a bit arbitrary on my part but I remember when the draft would be right around April 20th every year. Which means it would be soon dammit!

Jiggyfly

Banned
Dane Brugler breaks down Ezekiel Elliott as a Cowboy; mid-to-late round possibilities for Dallas

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer Contact Jon Machotaon Twitter:mad:jonmachota

Brugler spent some time Tuesday answering Dallas Cowboys related draft questions. Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott and UCLA linebacker Myles Jack were among the first-round picks he discussed.

Brugler also shared his thoughts on some mid-to-late round possibilities for Dallas.

What are your thoughts on the Cowboys potentially picking Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott at No. 4?

Brugler: "I would love to see Ezekiel Elliott with the Cowboys, just because of the things he could do behind that offensive line, the way he would impact the offense. I just don't think this team will do that. I don't think they'll see the value in taking a running back at No. 4. But I hope I'm wrong because I would love to see Elliott with the Cowboys. They've built so much into this offensive line that I think they feel like they can get a running back in the second, third or fourth round. They don't need to use a top five resource at the position. Hopefully I'm wrong."

Of this group of Cowboys pre-draft visitors (Jacoby Brissett, Connor McGovern, Cory James, Deon King, Isaac Seumalo), which intrigues you most?

Brugler: "There's something intriguing about each, but Seumalo is really intriguing to me because I see a future NFL starter at center. He was at center most of his career. He got hurt towards the end of his sophomore season. So he missed all of his junior year and then he returned in 2015 and the new coaching staff moved him to guard and he even played some left tackle. Everything was just a little different than what we saw in his early trajectory as a prospect. I think he can get back to playing center, he can provide value as a potential guard. If you can get him even as late as the fourth round, that to me is a steal. He's a top 100 talent and a future NFL starter.

"The other name you mentioned that is intriguing to me is Brissett. I'm not as high on Brissett as others. The big reason is just I don't see the downfield confidence as a passer. Traditionally that's not something that's easy to fix with a player, but I'm eager to find out if a team can develop his downfield passing ability. He has the arm to do it. He's built well, almost 6-4, 230 pounds. He has a lot of things you look for, but he just an inconsistent downfield passer. I think a lot of it has to do with his confidence, trusting what he's seeing, anticipating passing windows. I want to see him develop that downfield passing game. Can a team really work on that and develop that part of his game? I have my doubts, but if a team is able to do that, they could have a really intriguing passer."

What are you hearing about Myles Jack and his possibilities of being a fit for the Cowboys at No. 4?

Brugler: "We haven't seen his name as one of their top 30 visits, which is a little surprising, but maybe he can be a late addition based on what the medical re-checks say. Talking to some teams, they're optimistic. Talking to other teams, they're a little pessimistic about Jack's knee. It's a little more than just a meniscus tear, so some teams are worried about long-term health and how that could affect it. Unless the doctors come back and give you two thumbs up and say, 'We have no concerns. His knee is progressing well. He should be at full health before training camp, and we shouldn't have any long-term issues,' then Myles Jack is a top seven, top eight player. That's where he's going to go. But if the doctors come back with any doubt, I'm not sure how you can take him that early. That's what teams are worried about, just a little bit of doubt. Because at the combine, the doctors found a little bit of doubt with that knee, so what the re-checks say will really be the key variable that's missing right now for Jack's stock."

If the Cowboys don't get a pass rusher in the first round and they are looking for one at No. 34, who could be a good fit there?

Brugler: "Kevin Dodd, the Clemson defensive end, would make some sense. To me, he's not as talented as his teammate Shaq Lawson, but there is stuff to like about Kevin Dodd. He's 6-5, 277 pounds. He really took advantage of his opportunity to start in 2015. His numbers were kind of overlooked because they were second on the team to Shaq Lawson, but he still had 23.5 tackles for loss, 12 sacks. You could tell as the season went on, that light bulb started to illuminate more and more as he started to figure things out and he became more comfortable. With more and more playing time he became more and more comfortable on the field. You saw that on tape throughout the second half of the year. I think that will continue once he gets into training camp and is given a chance to develop in the NFL. He can be a solid starting defensive end and I think he would fit the Cowboys scheme fairly well."

Who is a middle-to-late round player that would be a good fit for the Cowboys at quarterback, running back, defensive end or cornerback?

Brugler: "Kenyan Drake from Alabama is interesting. He's six-foot and a half, 210 pounds. He's almost a running back trapped in a wide receiver's body with the way he plays the game. But he brings a little bit of juice to the backfield. He has the versatility to help on special teams. So if you can harness his athleticism and let him help out in the passing game as a receiver, I think Kenyan Drake can be an interesting guy. Similar to the way the Lions use Theo Riddick (2015 stats: 43 carries, 80 receptions), I think Drake could be that type of player for the Cowboys. If you could get him in the fourth or fifth round, he would kind of round out that running back backfield."

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Whole lot of smoke swirling about us going QB at 4, should be a bunch of twists and turns as the rumors heat up over the next few weeks though.
I hope there's a lot of rumors and talk about us taking a QB. Even if we don't it would possibly increase our trade options if we try to do that.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Schefter on the radio this morning said he is guessing from what he's hearing that Cleveland doesn't take a qb. Good chance they trade down. Expects Dallas to take Wentz if he's there.
Anyone that would trade with Cleveland would likely take Wentz so it won't matter. Our only hope is if Cleveland stays put and takes someone else, but I doubt that. Either way I expect Wentz will go #2, unless someone actually trades to #1 for him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone that would trade with Cleveland would likely take Wentz so it won't matter. Our only hope is if Cleveland stays put and takes someone else, but I doubt that. Either way I expect Wentz will go #2, unless someone actually trades to #1 for him.
Could be but it also could be someone trading up to take Ramsey for example. People on this board don't like him but there are lots of people out there who are absolutely in love with the guy. Who think he is both the best corner in this draft and the best safety. To a team who wants him, jumping the Chargers would make a lot of sense.

There is also a possibility that a team trading up is doing so for a QB no named Wentz. There is not a consensus best QB in this draft. My understanding is that the majority of teams have Wentz as the top guy but that there are some teams who rank Goff as the top guy. Someone trading up may be doing so for Goff as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom