Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If we took Henry in the second I would not be hating it. I'm hoping for a first rounder who falls, but Henry is a solid second and what's more we are getting 150 cents on the dollar for every running back we parade through here due to our line, so... I'm sure we'd get max production out of him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That does not even make sense.

Elliot ran a 4.47

Henry ran 4.54

Henry has also shown plenty of top end speed.
He may have some speed but the way he has been used is a straight line path running upright and his runs do not get very far from the line of scrimmage. Occasionally he will break out but chances of this happening are slight because he doesn't elude tacklers. It is more likely he will engaged quicker by defenses because of his running style which is a plodder by his own design and path pattern.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I would prefer to stay away from a huge, upright RB like Henry. I probably wouldn't hate it at #34 because he would have a chance to be pretty good behind the Cowboys OL, but I much prefer a more compact RB who is always a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He may have some speed but the way he has been used is a straight line path running upright and his runs do not get very far from the line of scrimmage. Occasionally he will break out but chances of this happening are slight because he doesn't elude tacklers. It is more likely he will engaged quicker by defenses because of his running style which is a plodder by his own design and path pattern.
Stop it you are embarrassing yourself.

He hads TD runs over 30 yards in double digits this year.

As for eluding tackles.

STRENGTHS One of the biggest running backs you will ever see. Can be a violent runner without even trying. Pummels tacklers with forward lean and dynamite behind his pads. Gives run-*support cornerbacks bad dreams. Rare top*-end speed for a runner his size. Long strides from second to third level cut into reaction time for safeties and often leave them a step short and grasping for air. Effective in zone, gap and power schemes. Rarely fatigues and wears down defenses as game goes on. Had 29.6 percent of his explosive carries come in the fourth quarter. Makes consistent, initial reads as a zone runner. Against Mississippi State, took outside zone run and cut it all the way back across formation out*racing defense for 65-yard touchdown. Led nation in missed tackles forced with 60. Uses subtle change of direction on the second level while keeping runs north/south. Used as a possession bully in short yardage spots and when Alabama wanted to impose their will.
And this hilarious coming from you, you know a guy who does not elude tackles?

D Murray, and you loved him.:lol

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I would prefer to stay away from a huge, upright RB like Henry. I probably wouldn't hate it at #34 because he would have a chance to be pretty good behind the Cowboys OL, but I much prefer a more compact RB who is always a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield.
Yes. There are test conditions where a performance can be measured under optimum conditions and there are field playing conditions where reactions can be coupled with performance to display an actual delivery of skills. Henry has a running style that is good for short yardage and moving the line of scrimmage but his style also negates some of his speed skills. He will rarely have a clear path to run in and then he will probably not go far without contact because of being a straight liner.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Interesting thing about Henry is if he goes in the 2nd like he seems to be projected, it'll be the 1st Heisman RB to not get drafted in the 1st round in about 30 years, when Bo Jackson was drafted in 1987. And Jackson was playing baseball so there were extenuating circumstances. Prior to Jackson I couldn't even tell you how long it was.

I don't hate Henry but I think he's a second rounder for a reason.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting thing about Henry is if he goes in the 2nd like he seems to be projected, it'll be the 1st Heisman RB to not get drafted in the 1st round in about 30 years, when Bo Jackson was drafted in 1987. And Jackson was playing baseball so there were extenuating circumstances. Prior to Jackson I couldn't even tell you how long it was.

I don't hate Henry but I think he's a second rounder for a reason.
I think that has more to do with the devaluation of the RB position then anything. And the fact that Henry is just a different RB. You don't see 6'3" 247 pound RBs in the NFL.

Genghis Khan

I think that has more to do with the devaluation of the RB position then anything. And the fact that Henry is just a different RB. You don't see 6'3" 247 pound RBs in the NFL.
It doesn't seem to hurt Elliott's stock that running backs are devalued. Didn't keep Gurley or Gordon from being 1st rounders either.

Henry's size is definitely a strike against him.

Genghis Khan

For the record, Louis Riddick was on the radio this morning. He said Elliott won't get past Dallas at 4. Said Dallas LOVES him. Compared him to Emmitt.

You're welcome, booze.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't seem to hurt Elliott's stock that running backs are devalued. Didn't keep Gurley or Gordon from being 1st rounders either.

Henry's size is definitely a strike against him.
No but there is a reason why you never see more then 1 or 2 RBs in the first round when we used to see multiple go in the top 10-15 in the past.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
For the record, Louis Riddick was on the radio this morning. He said Elliott won't get past Dallas at 4. Said Dallas LOVES him. Compared him to Emmitt.

You're welcome, booze.
If we draft him, he is rookie of the year.

I am sure all of you old heads remember how right I was about Eddie George.

:unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we draft him, he is rookie of the year.

I am sure all of you old heads remember how right I was about Eddie George.

:unsure
I think you're right and I still don't care or want him. I have confidence in that success because of our Oline, not because of Elliott.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think you're right and I still don't care or want him. I have confidence in that success because of our Oline, not because of Elliott.
Then you will get more years like McFadden last year. Where we can pretend our running game was actually effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom