JJT: Fear of Tony Romo injury shouldn't make Cowboys reach for quarterback

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Not only that, but his history tells you he will get injured again and the next one may be the one the makes him say uncle. Even if it isn't this year, it will be next year and you had better have someone that can get you through the period he will not be there, or have his permanent replacement in the fold. So yeah, draft a QB at 4 if you think he can be a franchise guy.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Drafting a QB because Romo might fold any time is absolutely a good reason to use your highest pick to pickup one. The crop this year seems to rank well with other years drafts according to the experts and its very legitimate to get the best available while you are in this position. It goes without saying that if the prospects were crap you wouldn't waste your pick but all indications are they are odds on to be good.
Depth for Romo is a nice side benefit but should not be our main reasoning. The draft is key to the future of the team and shouldn't be looked upon primarily as a backup system. That thinking gets you 1995 or 2009 level quality.

Still, it's clear we're not choosing a backup QB now because Dallas is intending to draft one. I think drafting a QB after rounds 1-3 is 95% a waste of time, so hopefully they're going after our next starter, whether he plays this year or three years from now.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Depth for Romo is a nice side benefit but should not be our main reasoning. The draft is key to the future of the team and shouldn't be looked upon primarily as a backup system. That thinking gets you 1995 or 2009 level quality.

Still, it's clear we're not choosing a backup QB now because Dallas is intending to draft one. I think drafting a QB after rounds 1-3 is 95% a waste of time, so hopefully they're going after our next starter, whether he plays this year or three years from now.
Drafting a QB in the first wouldn't be looking for a backup. It would be drafting his replacement. Having him backup for a year or two and learn is a nice perk. Imo, a lot of QBs are ruined by throwing them into the fire too early.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Drafting a QB in the first wouldn't be looking for a backup. It would be drafting his replacement. Having him backup for a year or two and learn is a nice perk. Imo, a lot of QBs are ruined by throwing them into the fire too early.
Exactly.

This must be our future starter. If we end up passing at pick 4, I'm not thrilled with Cook, Prescott, et al in the 2nd 3rd rounds we're better off ditching the position until next year.

But their ignorance of the backup in the offseason thus far has made them more desperate heading into the draft. Even Cleveland hedged with RG3.

Though Dallas is trying to hide it, I think they like Wentz a lot.

But if Wentz is gone by 4, lacking a capable backup might pressure them into Goff, even if they don't like him. Jerry's clock is ticking, and I don't think he can take another season with a bag of dick at backup QB.

Goff looks good on paper and I really like the way he finished at Cal. But he seems physically light and very "WCO" to me. I guess we're lucky there are two solid prospects this year.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
Jon Gruden just said on ESPN that "Connor Cook perhaps the best quarterback in this draft"

Thoughts???

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I counter your stats with the statistical failures of Cleveland drafting a QB - tim couch, Brady Quinn, Weeden, manziel. You think the Browns will select the correct QB? That hasn't happened in any generation!!!
But other than Couch they really didn't pick this high and have the first choice of QB's those other years. I think if the Browns stay at 2 they take QB and it'll be Wentz.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jon Gruden just said on ESPN that "Connor Cook perhaps the best quarterback in this draft"

Thoughts???
That he is wrong?

But I do think Cook gets bashed more then he should on here. He is a better prospect then he gets credit for. I wish he had a higher completion percentage but a large reason for that was that Michigan State just doesn't run a lot of screens and easy completion plays.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Thoughts???
Yes.

Gruden thought Manziel was great. Hell, he loves everybody.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That he is wrong?

But I do think Cook gets bashed more then he should on here. He is a better prospect then he gets credit for. I wish he had a higher completion percentage but a large reason for that was that Michigan State just doesn't run a lot of screens and easy completion plays.
He still lacks some pro traits and apparently has some character flaws.

stubbie

Not So New Member

Thoughts???
His sister is hot...that's all I know.

And he probably needs to sit for a couple of years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
apparently has some character flaws.
I know all about the captain stuff. Is there anything specific about his character that has been discovered? Just curious? I have seen interviews and heard him talk. He can come off as a bit cocky. But are there any reports from teammates who didn't like him?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I know all about the captain stuff. Is there anything specific about his character that has been discovered? Just curious? I have seen interviews and heard him talk. He can come off as a bit cocky. But are there any reports from teammates who didn't like him?
Skipping the Senior Bowl when healthy. That's a bit more than cocky in his position. He had a chance to play his way into the mid-late first. Now he may drop quite a ways past that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skipping the Senior Bowl when healthy. That's a bit more than cocky in his position. He had a chance to play his way into the mid-late first. Now he may drop quite a ways past that.
Yeah but that's not all that unusual. Especially for a guy who was coming off a shoulder injury. I think he should have played but I can at least understand why some guys sit that out. Or at least why someone gives them that advice.

data

Forbes #1
But other than Couch they really didn't pick this high and have the first choice of QB's those other years. I think if the Browns stay at 2 they take QB and it'll be Wentz.
So you're saying do not pick any QB at #4 if the Browns pick one? Or only pick Wentz at #4? Even pick Wentz if Browns pick Goff at #2? Cuz then we'd still be selecting the second QB. Per Ravi, picking second is prone to the Rick mirer, ryan leaf, etc.

what do the stats tell you?

Last edited:

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
So you're saying do not pick any QB at #4 if the Browns pick one? Or only pick Wentz at #4? Even pick Wentz if Browns pick Goff at #2? Cuz then we'd still be selecting the second QB. Per Ravi, picking second is prone to the Rick mirer, ryan leaf, etc.

what do the stats tell you?
No, I was just saying I think the Browns will take Wentz. I prefer Wentz but if he is gone I'd take Goff but I don't think the Cowboys will take him.

My preference if Wentz is gone, based purely on fantasy because I know this will never happen, is to trade down to 7 with SF. Obtain at least SF's 2nd round pick. At 7 take whoever is left out between Bosa, Buckner, Jack or even Eilliot.
Then trade up with our #34 pick into the bottom of round 1 if Lynch drops into the 20's. This would give us a top 10 player in the draft, plus Lynch and still have one 2nd pick.

Realistically if Wentz is gone at 4 I'd go Goff. But if we pass then I'd probably take Bosa while still looking at a possible trade up for Lynch. Otherwise take BPA in the 2nd, probably CB or WR. I might take Cook if he fell to the 3rd otherwise wait til day 3 and look at a developmental / backup type like Dak or later someone like Brandon Allen or Kevin Hogan.

What I think will happen is we take Bosa or Buckner at 4, a CB/WR in the 2nd, Cook in the 3rd if available, if not then probably a RB.

data

Forbes #1
No, I was just saying I think the Browns will take Wentz. I prefer Wentz but if he is gone I'd take Goff but I don't think the Cowboys will take him.

My preference if Wentz is gone, based purely on fantasy because I know this will never happen, is to trade down to 7 with SF. Obtain at least SF's 2nd round pick. At 7 take whoever is left out between Bosa, Buckner, Jack or even Eilliot.
Then trade up with our #34 pick into the bottom of round 1 if Lynch drops into the 20's. This would give us a top 10 player in the draft, plus Lynch and still have one 2nd pick.

Realistically if Wentz is gone at 4 I'd go Goff. But if we pass then I'd probably take Bosa while still looking at a possible trade up for Lynch. Otherwise take BPA in the 2nd, probably CB or WR. I might take Cook if he fell to the 3rd otherwise wait til day 3 and look at a developmental / backup type like Dak or later someone like Brandon Allen or Kevin Hogan.

What I think will happen is we take Bosa or Buckner at 4, a CB/WR in the 2nd, Cook in the 3rd if available, if not then probably a RB.
Props.

I was having some fun with Ravi cuz of his stats discussion of the first or second QB drafted influencing his draft/no draft opinion. The Browns' karma has more connection to the success of their #2 QB pick than Ryan Leaf or Rick Mirer.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I'd be good with a trade down and then a trade up for Lynch if he's available.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If we trade down we should be able to get a lot for Goff. No reason SD wouldn't do the same thing though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be good with a trade down and then a trade up for Lynch if he's available.
I think if you trade down and want Lynch you probably have to take him with the traded down pick. Moving up from the second doesn't seem realistic anymore. And honestly we need to get a QB in this draft. So unless you are comfortable with Cook or someone else then you have to make absolutely sure you get Lynch and that someone else doesn't first.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
What makes me a little uneasy about Wentz is that while Goff and Lynch got better each year (more yds, comp%, TD, less Int) you can't say the same for Wentz, partly because he wasn't the straight out starter in the beginning and because of the injury in his last year.
I understand he interviewed off the charts, but he's also older than the other two.
I used to be in the Wentz>>>>>>>Goff>>Lynch camp, but now I'm leaning more to Goff>Wentz>Lynch...

Top Bottom