Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2016

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm not sure I understand this sentence at all? If you know a guy is going in the second round or higher? Why would you name him as a late round pick to keep an eye on?
That was the point I was making. Maybe I didn't word it in a way that relayed that sentiment clearly.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Maybe it is coincidence due to his Pro Day today, but a bunch of Twitter folk seem to think Lynch is our QB1.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe it is coincidence due to his Pro Day today, but a bunch of Twitter folk seem to think Lynch is our QB1.
Eh I doubt that. I think Wentz is probably QB1 on our board. I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas has him above Goff though. I personally disagree with that assessment but I could see how Dallas could fall in love with Lynch over Goff.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, it's most likely because of his pro day. It sounds like he really impressed.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think the issue here is not whether Iamtdg thinks Will Fuller should be a later round pick, I think everyone respects his right to value Fuller however he wants.

But similarly just because I would say "No, I wouldn't take Morris Claiborne in the first round because CBs suck!!!" it also would be incorrect of me to label Claiborne a target for our second round pick. Because there's a 0% chance that someone else doesn't take him high.

Iamtdg may think Fuller is a 4th rounder or whatever but he's not a sleeper and he's going to end up going at worst in the third round, I'd bet. That is consensus at the moment so it's not really correct to say he is a sleeper since most sources have him going early, and a sleeper is by definition someone who will have success after going late.

In fact Iamtdg doesn't seem to think Fuller will have any success at all, so he can't be a sleeper no matter where he is taken, then, since he will never pan out according to Iamtdg's projection.

Cotton

Staff member
I think the issue here is not whether Iamtdg thinks Will Fuller should be a later round pick, I think everyone respects his right to value Fuller however he wants.

But similarly just because I would say "No, I wouldn't take Morris Claiborne in the first round because CBs suck!!!" it also would be incorrect of me to label Claiborne a target for our second round pick. Because there's a 0% chance that someone else doesn't take him high.

Iamtdg may think Fuller is a 4th rounder or whatever but he's not a sleeper and he's going to end up going at worst in the third round, I'd bet. That is consensus at the moment so it's not really correct to say he is a sleeper since most sources have him going early, and a sleeper is by definition someone who will have success after going late.

In fact Iamtdg doesn't seem to think Fuller will have any success at all, so he can't be a sleeper no matter where he is taken, then, since he will never pan out according to Iamtdg's projection.
Correct, and I didn't call him a sleeper.

Cotton

Staff member
Just got Dane Brugler's Draft Guide, and here is what he had to say about Fuller:

WEAKNESSES: Lean-muscled and lacks an ideal body type…below average functional strength and can be knocked off his route…petite hands and prone to body catches with too many drops on his college film – equal opportunity dropper, losing focus on various types of passes…unreliable in contested situations…shows some indecision as a ballcarrier and needs to get north-south quicker…lacks the run power to pick up yards after initial contact…bad habit of extending his arms downfield and pushing off…willing blocker, but struggles to sustain and limited in this area…quiet by nature and his confidence appears to waver at times…doesn’t offer experience as a return man.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got Dane Brugler's Draft Guide, and here is what he had to say about Fuller:

WEAKNESSES: Lean-muscled and lacks an ideal body type…below average functional strength and can be knocked off his route…petite hands and prone to body catches with too many drops on his college film – equal opportunity dropper, losing focus on various types of passes…unreliable in contested situations…shows some indecision as a ballcarrier and needs to get north-south quicker…lacks the run power to pick up yards after initial contact…bad habit of extending his arms downfield and pushing off…willing blocker, but struggles to sustain and limited in this area…quiet by nature and his confidence appears to waver at times…doesn’t offer experience as a return man.
And with those weaknesses where did he project him to go?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
It's laughable that you think he was a freak athlete.

Irvin not one of the fastest, but one of the best

By Gil Brandt NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8008103a/article/irvin-not-one-of-the-fastest-but-one-of-the-best
He was a great athlete, just not a speed demon. Also, that '88 draft was the first time we took the player I was targeting going into the draft. Then again, it was by far the highest draft position we had in the nearly dozen years i had been a fan. I do remember two years earlier wanting Tim McGee or Mike Sherrard and we took Sherrard. Unfortunately he broke his leg during the season and then broke it the following year during rehab. But it was a blessing in disguise before if it hadn't been for that injury we never would've used a first two years later on Irvin.

And that really was an amazing three year draft run starting in '88. Irvin, Aikman and then Emmitt. Not to mention 2nd/3rd rounders like Ken Norton, Stepnoski, Daryl Johnston, Jimmie Jones, etc.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, it's most likely because of his pro day. It sounds like he really impressed.
Hard for me to see Garrett liking a guy with douche hair over one of his own kind.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the way, you don't draft Fuller because he has hands like Dez Bryant. You draft him because he has elite deep speed like Desean Jackson.

Cotton

Staff member
Really? I'm looking at the profile right here http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2082827/will-fuller and it says 1st-2nd and lists him as the 28th best player.

So if you believe part of the analysis do you not believe all of it? You're being very selective with what you accept and don't accept.
Okay, well Brugler has him graded out as a second in his draft guide he just released. And, I do believe he will go there, but I wouldn't take him there.

Cotton

Staff member
By the way, you don't draft Fuller because he has hands like Dez Bryant. You draft him because he has elite deep speed like Desean Jackson.
And shitty hands. Again, just my opinion, but I don't take the chance on him with a high pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And shitty hands. Again, just my opinion, but I don't take the chance on him with a high pick.
He had 9 drops this last year. It's not good. For comparisons sake Amari Cooper had 6 his last year in college. Over the course of 13 games? I'd say that 3 extra drops is negligible. Especially if the guy gets great separation which is what we get none of on the roster right now. I'd rather the guy drop zero balls. But he also makes some high difficulty catches which actually lends itself to saying his hands aren't bad, his concentration is.

Cotton

Staff member
He had 9 drops this last year. It's not good. For comparisons sake Amari Cooper had 6 his last year in college. Over the course of 13 games? I'd say that 3 extra drops is negligible. Especially if the guy gets great separation which is what we get none of on the roster right now. I'd rather the guy drop zero balls. But he also makes some high difficulty catches which actually lends itself to saying his hands aren't bad, his concentration is.
Cool, you would take him in the second. I would not.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So, not the fastest means he was slow? GTFO of here. Irvin was anything but slow.
Stop changing the subject, I never said he was slow you are the one claiming he was a freak athlete.

Moss is a freak athlete, Johnson is a freak athlete, Irvin was nowhere close to them.

Nobody has ever thought of Irvin as a freak athlete, you know you are off base because nobody has joined you out on that limb.

Top Bottom